Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeQuestions

Any Luck Selling Expensive Comics in Forum??5631

You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
@KingNampa I'm at work now but I should be able to post this evening. And that beer is looking awesome right about now.
Post 26 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
@KingNampa Here are a couple of pictures. Sorry they aren't so great. I really should invest in a scanner sometime.

Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@DWeeB1967 wow beauty. When was it graded? If it was pre-pressing era, you might get. 9.4 or 9.6 if you press and resubmit. Huge price jump if that happens
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
Well, @kaptainmyke, that's still TBD.

One of them that I'm pretty sure I will sell is my Fantastic Four #48 CGC 9.2 with white pages. However, I'll have to sell at least a couple of other high-grade Silver or Bronze first appearances, too. I just need to figure out which ones. I'll be doing that over the next week or so.

Why would you sell an FF 48 CGC 9.2 on the CBCS Forum?

The CGC selling forums get more traffic and it's a CGC graded key book.

I think the 10% consignment fee with a large comic dealer like Mycomicshop, Comic connect or Comic Link would be well worth the increased views on the book...and especially the head ache of a possible eBay buyers looming to scam books from you.

You will get more money for your raws overall, if they are consigned by dealers who have a large pre-existing customer base.
Post 29 IP   flag post
@KingNampa Thanks. I've owned this comic since the early 1990s - long before CBCS or CGC or any pressing companies were around. I actually hadn't thought about having it pressed but that is an option, I suppose. I'll have to think more about that.
Post 30 IP   flag post

@CopperAgeKids The thread really just started as a fact-finding mission.

I've sold on ComicLink a number of times and have had good success doing so. However, I know that I wouldn't get any generated funds until probably late Spring or Summer. I've never sold on ComicConnect or MyComicShop (although I've purchased from both numerous times).

I was simply wondering about people's sale experiences through the forum. In the end, I probably will go through ComicLink again, but if I could get what I consider to be a good price through the forum and, in doing so, help a fellow member get a key that he /she has been looking for, then that's a win-win.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Quote:
@KingNampa Thanks. I've owned this comic since the early 1990s - long before CBCS or CGC or any pressing companies were around. I actually hadn't thought about having it pressed but that is an option, I suppose. I'll have to think more about that.

My advice is to have a reputable presser look at the book to see if it's a good candidate for a CPR and provide him with the CGC graders' notes.

If he tells you it may press out to a higher grade, have said presser than press the book and have him sub it to CGC.

I'd suggest contacting Joe G. Over at CFPComics.com for his input.

You'd get his dealer discount on CGC grading (or CBCS grading, for that matter), as well.

If you post up a video recording of the slab , shot by a window in natural sunlight, I could advise you on its' CPR potential. ...but not as well as if the slab was in hand. Matt Nelson at CCS ...or Steve Ricketts of CBCS could offer their opinion of the slab, as could Tony Starks .

I'm not trying to put myself in the same category as that lot. I press my own books and know what to look for, WRT CPR candidates.

I have no interest in pressing this book for you, having you send it to me to look it over...or buying it, to be clear.

That said, post up a dozen or so pics ...or a video and I'll give you my take.

As far as evaluation, use GPA 90 day on a book like this, as an initial measuring stick.

Btw, GPA is 11 bucks a month....small cost to pay when you have thousands of dollars up in the air.

2018 sales in CGC 9.2 are as follows:

$3585
$4150
$3107

The first 2 of those 3 sales are the same slab, sold a couple months apart.

The cert numbers show that in GPA.That slab was ow/w.

The 3rd sale also had ow/w pages.

Comparing PQ designation on those 3 saleswould be a deciding factor...just as if the book were to have distinct favorable odds to press higher.

IMHO, it is at least a $4000 slab as is, without knowing the likelihood of a CPR grade bump.

With white pages , I'd say closer to $4500 than $4000.
Post 32 IP   flag post
@CopperAgeKids Thanks for the detailed response. I actually do subscribe to GPA and have for some time and I do share the opinion that this comic would probably fetch somewhere in the range of $4K in its current state. However, if I do decide to look into pressing, I'll certainly consider what you've said.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

You “forgot” to mention that it is white pages. Significant +. You should be able to get top $ for it (depending on whether still white given 8 years since it was graded)
Post 34 IP   flag post
@poka I actually mentioned the white pages pretty early in the conversation. I just haven't mentioned it since.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I've sold on ComicLink a number of times and have had good success doing so. However, I know that I wouldn't get any generated funds until probably late Spring or Summer. I've never sold on ComicConnect or MyComicShop (although I've purchased from both numerous times).

I was simply wondering about people's sale experiences through the forum. In the end, I probably will go through ComicLink again, but if I could get what I consider to be a good price through the forum and, in doing so, help a fellow member get a key that he /she has been looking for, then that's a win-win.

How can you not sell it for that lowball price mentioned earlier in the thread brah?

Post 36 IP   flag post
Quote:
@poka I actually mentioned the white pages pretty early in the conversation. I just haven't mentioned it since.

Sorry didn’t see
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan510
Quote:

How can you not sell it for that lowball price mentioned earlier in the thread brah?

Actually great idea - think I will start quoting the average of the past 48 months if in my favour when making an offer 🤣
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:
Quote:

Actually great idea - think I will start quoting the average of the past 48 months if in my favour when making an offer 🤣

That made me lol
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector Marximus private msg quote post Address this user
FWIW, somebody just sold a 9.8 on eBay for $27.5 K. That's +$5.5k over GoCollect's current FMV for that grade.

9.2 FMV says 3100. 4k is optimistic, but you never know til you try.

Think big,OP!
Post 40 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Now that I think about it I did sell an Archie comics highest graded book to someone on the other grading company forum for $1,250 through Paypal. I think it was issue 52.

He gave me his forum ID in an eBay message allowing me to contact him directly. Everything went great on this end.
Post 41 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh, I'm sorry - did I misinterpret he was trying to sell a cgc slab on a cbcs forum, possibly looking to sell it quickly since he's not using auction houses? Get over yourselves.
Post 42 IP   flag post
When Kap lands this book for what he said he's willing to pay, I'm sure he'll let us know.

But hey, never hurts to ask, right? Start with a low offer, and negotiate from there.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
You can re-submit through CBCS or the competition and just have them press it, too. That way, you don't have to crack the slab yourself and worry about any damage. Just a thought... If someone already said that, sorry! I thought I read through all comments, but I might have missed it.
Post 44 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke @Marximus The low offer didn't phase me at all. And I agree... You start low and see what happens. I would do the same thing if I were negotiating a purchase.

But the fact is that I'm in no hurry to sell. In fact, I don't need to sell at all. I just WANT to sell... but only for the right price.

And, just to clarify since this has been mentioned a couple of times in this thread, I posted my original question here (on the CBCS forum) simply because this is where I usually hang out. I used to spend time on the other guys forum but I just don't go visit there much anymore. No real reason why. I just don't.

And for a little more clarification, my original post was simply to get a feel for member experiences selling items to other forum members. The FF #48 that I mentioned was only one example that I provided during the course of the conversation. I have a number of Silver Age keys that I am considering selling... some graded by CGC, some by CBCS and some raw.

With all that said, I do appreciate the feedback that I have received from members regarding my original question.
Post 45 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 46 IP   flag post
Quote:
@kaptainmyke @Marximus The low offer didn't phase me at all. And I agree... You start low and see what happens. I would do the same thing if I were negotiating a purchase.

But the fact is that I'm in no hurry to sell. In fact, I don't need to sell at all. I just WANT to sell... but only for the right price.

And, just to clarify since this has been mentioned a couple of times in this thread, I posted my original question here (on the CBCS forum) simply because this is where I usually hang out. I used to spend time on the other guys forum but I just don't go visit there much anymore. No real reason why. I just don't.

And for a little more clarification, my original post was simply to get a feel for member experiences selling items to other forum members. The FF #48 that I mentioned was only one example that I provided during the course of the conversation. I have a number of Silver Age keys that I am considering selling... some graded by CGC, some by CBCS and some raw.

With all that said, I do appreciate the feedback that I have received from members regarding my original question.

Nothing wrong with negotiating. Just hysterical when he based it on 24 months of sales data as opposed to upward trending.
Post 47 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh, I'm sorry - did I misinterpret he was trying to sell a cgc slab on a cbcs forum, possibly looking to sell it quickly since he's not using auction houses? Get over yourselves.

LOL you can save yourself the embarrassment by lowballing based on 2 year old data in PM next time doctor😊
Post 48 IP   flag post
Quote:

This forum does not have subgroups for selling posts, and there is much less traffic, and way more sales/postings on the CGC Forum.

CGC Forums have less traffic/sales than eBay but in some cases, you can get more more for CGC slabs than you would on eBay.

I had an Astonishing Tales #1 CGC 9.6 listed for sale on eBay for at least a month or two.

It was priced under GPA, no takers.

I posted the same slab . This was a Twin Cities pedigree labeled copy, IIRC.Can't remember the pedigree name exactly copy,but it had a pedigree designation on the CGC label.

Posted it for sale on the CGCForums at the same price as I had it on eBay and it sold within a couple days.

But that bronze Monkey Kazar book is not a $4000+ book.

There have been successful board members on here WRT selling, but I have not seen any big ticket books like your FF 48 offered on here.

More than likely, the only way you will get the price that you want is thru a third party consignment or eBay.

I would try this book on the CGC Forums for a 1 week run, first.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Thanks, @CopperAgeKids.
Post 50 IP   flag post
It's also highly recommended that, whilst putting your books up for sale, and before you press 'Enter' or 'Go'....

Have some Zeppelin jamming, at full volume, at your place. Shake the foundations, man!

I suggest 'Immigrant Song'. But only, and I mean ONLY, if you want top dollar for your books.

https://youtu.be/RlNhD0oS5pk
Post 51 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

LOL you can save yourself the embarrassment by lowballing based on 2 year old data in PM next time doctor😊

A two year average is different than two year old data. Nobody is embarrassed here but you brah
Post 52 IP   flag post
@Marximus if not my favorite Zeppelin song, then it had to be in the top 3.
Post 53 IP   flag post
@Marximus if not my favorite Zeppelin song, then it has to be in the top 3.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

A two year average is different than two year old data. Nobody is embarrassed here but you brah

Why would I be embarrassed? I actually know what I'm doing brah.
Post 55 IP   flag post
598060 89 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?