Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeQuestions

Any Luck Selling Expensive Comics in Forum??5631

You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Does anyone have success stories regarding experience selling expensive comics (say, $1000+) through the forum?

I ask because I need to sell a few high-dollar keys to cover the cost of a personal grail that I bought this weekend. I considered selling over ComicLink (which I've done in the past), ComicConnect or even eBay (also done in the past). However, I would much prefer selling to folks here on the forum. I'm just a little hesitant to do so since there are, obviously, no protection mechanisms in place for either buyer or seller. Nothing personal intended toward any members.

So, I'm just looking for any feedback that members might want to share - good, bad, any suggestions, etc.

Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
What ya got to sell brah
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
Ask for eBay reference (see what rating they have on eBay). Ask who they've done business with on forum before (may not have any yet). Do payments through PayPal so you can track and dispute if something goes south.

So what ya go for sale?
Post 3 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
Well, @kaptainmyke, that's still TBD.

One of them that I'm pretty sure I will sell is my Fantastic Four #48 CGC 9.2 with white pages. However, I'll have to sell at least a couple of other high-grade Silver or Bronze first appearances, too. I just need to figure out which ones. I'll be doing that over the next week or so.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Thanks, @QuaBrot. Yea it will definitely be a PayPal thing. But good suggestion about the eBay references. Of course, I can supply the same.

I'm still putting together my list of comics that I will be selling. I've had most of these comics that I will be selling for about 25 years, so it's going to be sad to see them go. Still, it's going to be worth it.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuaBrot
o payments through PayPal so you can track and dispute if something goes south.

This.

Paypal’s fee is well worth the protection

To directly answer your question, yes I have, there are good folks here 👍🏻
Post 6 IP   flag post
Thanks, @shrewbeer. Agreed. That's better for me and any potential buyer, too.
Post 7 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@DWeeB1967 - I have nothing but good experiences buying, selling, and my favorite - trading, with people I have "met" on these forums.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Thanks, @esaravo. I appreciate the feedback.

And just to be clear, I don't want anyone to think that I am implying anything about any of the members here on the forum. That is not my intent at all. I just want to be sure I make an informed decision.

I'd love to work out some deals with forum members and I hope that am able to do so.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
My forum sales (three people so far) have been over $100 but under $500.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Thanks, @drchaos. I honestly expect that to be case with any forum member having sold / bought from other members... Good stories.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWeeB1967
I'm pretty sure I will sell is my Fantastic Four #48 CGC 9.2 with white pages.

How much? I am currently looking for a FF48
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
What was the grail that you bought?
Post 13 IP   flag post
@VaComicsGuy I'll make you a deal. When it arrives mid-week, I'll post a pic of it. Way pumped about this purchase!
Post 14 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke That's a good question. I really had not gotten that far when I made my original post. I was just on an information-gathering mission. One of the other forum members asked me about that and I told him the same thing.

I know that a copy of FF #45 CGC 9.2 sold a few days ago for $3400. I understand that comparing these two comics is not an "apples-to-apples" comparison but this does represent a sale of a FF first appearance of about the same age as my FF #48. While I may be biased, I view the first appearance of the Silver Surfer and Galactus as more important than the first appearance of the Inhumans. Obviously, your mileage may vary.

Also, looking at GPA, a copy of FF #48 9.2 sold for over $4K this month. Granted, that is the highest recorded sale that they report, but I do know that there has been a rise in FF prices since Disney and Fox merged.

So with that said, I'm hoping for somewhere in the ballpark of $4K. That may be wishful thinking but, again, I'm trying to pay myself back by selling as few of my keys as possible. We'll see what happens.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@DWeeB1967 yes I have sold $1k + books on these forums. Smooth as butter.
Post 16 IP   flag post

Realistically I would pay $2200-$2400 going by a 24 month average. Admittedly it has an upward trend but these last 2 recorded sales were still best offers so we're not sure how much lower that actually was settled on.

Also if you ask me the last most highest recorded sale book presented like a 9.4-9.6 I'm sure the buyer has high hopes of pressing and cleaning for a higher grade but it was a best offer book at $5,200!

Post 17 IP   flag post
Thanks, @KingNampa. Good to know.
Post 18 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke I know I won't go that low on it because the dealer (real dealer, website, been around for years, the whole bit) from whom I made my purchase (the book that I am collecting cash to pay for) offered me $3200 in trade for it.
Post 19 IP   flag post
@DWeeB1967 If you are giving someone a deal "forum discount" You could probably expect to get around $3500 for it. If you want to put it on comiclink for auction it will sell for $4k probably but you will net around $3400 after fees and shipping.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
offered me $3200 in trade for it.

Trade value and store credit are not the same as cash value however.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:
offered me $3200 in trade for it.

Trade value and store credit are not the same as cash value however.

Ya they will probably offer him Stan Lee Signed Lentricals as a trade, lol
Post 22 IP   flag post
@KingNampa Which is really what I figured. Selling it outright to a forum member would allow me to come down somewhat because of the lack of seller's fees. And I'd absolutely be willing to do that.
Post 23 IP   flag post
@DWeeB1967 All that is left is for you to post pictures.
Post 24 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke Agreed, but I still believe that the price you mentioned is too low for this comic. With that said, you may turn out to be right. I'll just have to see how things play out.
Post 25 IP   flag post
@KingNampa I'm at work now but I should be able to post this evening. And that beer is looking awesome right about now.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@KingNampa Here are a couple of pictures. Sorry they aren't so great. I really should invest in a scanner sometime.

Post 27 IP   flag post
@DWeeB1967 wow beauty. When was it graded? If it was pre-pressing era, you might get. 9.4 or 9.6 if you press and resubmit. Huge price jump if that happens
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Well, @kaptainmyke, that's still TBD.

One of them that I'm pretty sure I will sell is my Fantastic Four #48 CGC 9.2 with white pages. However, I'll have to sell at least a couple of other high-grade Silver or Bronze first appearances, too. I just need to figure out which ones. I'll be doing that over the next week or so.

Why would you sell an FF 48 CGC 9.2 on the CBCS Forum?

The CGC selling forums get more traffic and it's a CGC graded key book.

I think the 10% consignment fee with a large comic dealer like Mycomicshop, Comic connect or Comic Link would be well worth the increased views on the book...and especially the head ache of a possible eBay buyers looming to scam books from you.

You will get more money for your raws overall, if they are consigned by dealers who have a large pre-existing customer base.
Post 29 IP   flag post
@KingNampa Thanks. I've owned this comic since the early 1990s - long before CBCS or CGC or any pressing companies were around. I actually hadn't thought about having it pressed but that is an option, I suppose. I'll have to think more about that.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600835 89 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?