Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Restoration and ConservationGrading Help NeededMovies TelevisionPop Culture

1971 DC Comics HOUSE OF SECRETS 925616

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I just bought a HOS92. I took these photos as soon as I got it unboxed. What do you think?

I know it needs work. Lay it on me.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector gman private msg quote post Address this user
4.5 maybe 5.0....the back cover may bring it down w the tanning/foxing.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Hey, I am Swamp Thing green with envy, man! Not too bad, but the discoloration/staining on the back cover probably realistically puts you in the 5.0 range.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector daywalker private msg quote post Address this user
Nice! If you don’t mind me asking how much did that set you back?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
It should be 5.0 when you're done with it. Looks nice inside.
I was shopping for one of these the same morning you got that, but went with some N.A. Batman's instead. I cannot remember if I saw this particular book while hunting, but I saw the sale numbers when you posted about it earlier. I probably spent about the same $$, but that day I felt more like multiples at once (for that amount). Seeing this (again) makes me question my decision, but I always do that LOL
Post 5 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
It went for open auction and I won at $611. High dollar top price as this book is soaring in values lately. It's the grey tone cover I believe, too. In my head as I as spikebid and sniped at the last 5 seconds I didn't want to spend past $650 and I watched for 25 minutes as it hovered over $410 then suddenly jumped up to $611 after my spike bid. Crazy!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
The inner page creases will press right out, I say 6.0
Post 7 IP   flag post
I haven't been brave enough yet to detect if the top staple is attached to the centerfold.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Here's my 5.0 to compare.

Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
For fun I always guess the grade before I send it in. The last group of 15, I guessed low on 9, right on on 2, and high on 4.
That 5.0 based on the front I would have guessed 6.5 at least. There is nothing not fine about that book to my eye.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Magellan private msg quote post Address this user
Any thoughts on asking Louise Simonson for a signature on this book?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke you paid over $600 for a comic and don't know if the centerfold is attached? Did the seller state (or did you ask) anything about page count, missing coupons or cut pages? How about any marks on interior pages? Hopefully it turned out good for you, but these are things I'd want to know before I drop that kind of cash on a comic. Was there a time issue?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
A couple of years ago I got a chance to have Bernie sign some stuff for me. I have 3 HOS 92's. I should have cracked them open but I didn't. I did get a Swamp Thing #1 signed though.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
@kaptainmyke you paid over $600 for a comic and don't know if the centerfold is attached? Did the seller state (or did you ask) anything about page count, missing coupons or cut pages? How about any marks on interior pages? Hopefully it turned out good for you, but these are things I'd want to know before I drop that kind of cash on a comic. Was there a time issue?

I was thinking the same thing. No way do I drop 6 bills on a book I’m not sure of.
Post 14 IP   flag post
He had plenty of photos. It was an auction item, not a buy it now item. The market controlled the price. The seller said it was "complete" and the spine was "in great shape". I was not concerned with this at the time. I used the money I sold a Mark Hamill signed CBCS 8.5 action figure cover and some side income money to finance the purchase so I was not worried about it. I was more disappointed in the 8.5 grade of the Mark Hamill so I feel like I traded up for this instead. I feel it's a solid copy and I'm happy with the purchase.
Post 15 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
You can rarely be sure. People lie and sometimes they do not get back to you before an auction ends and you make a judgment call, or gamble call.

I assume this is a case of being under the clock and making a decision.

I think it is in the 4.0/4.5 range myself. But I hope for better for you.

Average price for a 5.5 is $562
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki666666
got the option to buy a HOS92 for a great price. Looks around a 5.0/6 compared to my 3.0 copy i have. EXCEPT... the top staple of the cente pages has ripped through. Just the top staple and just the centre page only. The rest is all tip top.

How if any, much of a hit would the grade get and is it noted?

Need to know so i can decide if to buy.

Looks like I have the same thing. Or tried to buy this one, lol.
Post 17 IP   flag post
This seems to be common for these books as I research this further.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Marximus private msg quote post Address this user
GoCollect has current FMV for 5.0 @ $650.

5.5 @ $750.

4.0 and 4.5 @ $525.

Recent sales are trending upwards.

I think you did good.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Those are in hand photos I received it today. I think I did well.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Yeah, 4.5-5.0 seems safe. The spine seems fairly solid.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
I just bought a HOS92. I took these photos as soon as I got it unboxed. What do you think?

I know it needs work. Lay it on me.

I think it's a great book in a solid condition. I'm thinking the seller broke the law based upon one of those pictures. Report him immediately!
Post 22 IP   flag post
I was wondering if someone got the joke! Thank you! *bows*
Post 23 IP   flag post
Spend some extra money for snugger fitting rubber gloves doctor
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I would say 5.0 CBCS with no press.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan510
Spend some extra money for snugger fitting rubber gloves doctor

lmao those are size: SMALL gloves!
Post 26 IP   flag post
Get the ones they use at hospitals.
Post 27 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Get bigger hands. They really come in handy when drinking down at the creek.
Post 28 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Stu private msg quote post Address this user

here is mine - bought it 2 years ago when I came across it. Was able to see and have Len sign it prior to his passing.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Nice one! love it
Post 30 IP   flag post
596782 95 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?