Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedQuestionsSignatures

Same Book, 3 Different Labels5610

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
So I recently resubmitted a book to CBCS (added new signatures) and the order just went into grading. As part of that, CBCS updates the titles and variant names on the invoice to what they feel it should be.

The book in question got stuck with the unfortunate name of “Wizard Ace Edition #nn”

Out of curiosity, I looked up the book on ebay to see what CGC names the book but instead found something curious.

This book, graded by CBCS, where the book is just described as a variant of ASM #129

Just a few listings below that I find this one, where the book has a different naming convention, Wizard Ace Edition: Amazing Spider-Man #129”, the same naming convention used on the Daredevil #1 Ace Edition on the same invoice

I’ve contacted customer service about these books and to see if I can have the title on mine updated to either of these that makes a little more sense (I’d prefer the last one, personally).

Has anyone else come across other books that CBCS has labeled differently on different occassions?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
My guess would be they will use the most recent convention which is he bottom. But I think their policy is to use the title given on the splash page (?) within the book. Are you sure the first and last pics have the same interior? One is not a variant of the other (like a convention edition or something)?
Post 2 IP   flag post
It would be news to me if there were some other edition of this book. Not impossible, but highly unlikely.

And yeah, CBCS' official policy is to use the name on the indica, which on this book looks like this (which is why I lean towards the last option for naming):

Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector MarcJ private msg quote post Address this user
The name *should* be Wizard Edition : Amazing SPIDER-MAN #129. This shouldn't even be debatable, period. It is supposed to be the name from the indicia.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
They simply missed the comic name when printing the label...IMO.

It looks like it should have had it, but fell short.

I project a quick fix by CBCS in two ways.

Label correction in software and then a standardized format to be inclusive - to contain and use printed indicia name in all books as resource for label.

Cheers. Good catch!!
Post 5 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
on a side note, Thomas Jane signs his name like an ahole
Post 6 IP   flag post
CBCS has rendered it’s verdict and it looks like I’m stuck with “Wizard Ace Edition #nn”. They insist it’s the other books that are labeled incorrectly

-__-

I'm tempted to bring up the Daredevil Ace Edition and ask why it gets a different title but that might only convince them to change it's label as well
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
The third picture with "Wizard Ace Edition: Amazing Spider-man #129" should be the correct one.

I also don't understand why none of the labels note that this is a reprint of ASM #129. While any knowledgeable collector should know this to be the case and not some sort of variant, others might not.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@Lonestar Reprint information is always listed on the back of the label.

I think I might email them back and politely ask them to explain the reasoning since it doesn't seem to make sense. Do capitalization, TM, and ® icons make a difference? If not then I'd imagine there may be too many counter-examples to count
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
@dielinfinite Thanks for pointing that out.
Post 10 IP   flag post
So the response I got from customer service was

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBCS Customer Service
They [the graders] didn't really give general reason as to why. Just on this particular book that is what they have decided its going to be label as.

Which I don’t think jibes with the “correct title is always on the indica” policy they’ve publicly given
Post 11 IP   flag post
It looks like CBCS has quietly changed their mind and updated the title to “Wizard Ace Edition: Amazing Spider-Man #129 #nn” which males a lot more sense than their previous decision
Post 12 IP   flag post
597868 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?