Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Modern Age

CBCS Pressing and Grading Result #25599

Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry for all the posts; I guess I'm having a busy week this week! So this is the second time I have used CBCS for pressing, so I figured I would share my results with those who are curious about the final product. The turnaround time for this lot was right at 4 months.

Some of these books needed a press and some I just wanted to maximize my chances of getting a 9.8. The 9.6's hurt me on some books, but that trio of 8.5's hurt the most because I thought those were all 9.0+ books. Without further ado:

Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like you're not much of a Vampirella fan.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector teacha777 private msg quote post Address this user
Never realized Sailor Moon was Muslim

Were there any comics that you were pleasantly surprised with the Grade?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacha777

LOL @ the Sailor Moon comment! That book is stupid rare btw, that's why I don't mind the 6.0.

The Vampirella #1 (1992), Vampirella #1 Sharp variant and the Vampirella #3 Bruce Timm variant were the ones I was happiest about. All the 9.6's I thought would have been 9.8's. Overall I did not have as much luck as I did the first time.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector teacha777 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
Quote:

LOL @ the Sailor Moon comment! That book is stupid rare btw, that's why I don't mind the 6.0.

The Vampirella #1 (1992), Vampirella #1 Sharp variant and the Vampirella #3 Bruce Timm variant were the ones I was happiest about. All the 9.6's I thought would have been 9.8's. Overall I did not have as much luck as I did the first time.

Link to first post? I got stuff being pressed still haven't gotten it back yet.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

The 9.8 on the Campbell Vampirella # 0 is pretty sweet as well.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Shi is 4 me...
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Link to first post? I got stuff being pressed still haven't gotten it back yet.

Here you go: https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/4937/page/1/pressing-took-6-months-but-well-worth-wait
Post 8 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Wow so you took a hit on the 8.5s being pressed from 9.0+ ? There is always an inherent risk that pressing can decrease a grade. There you have it, can even happen to the professionals.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Wow so you took a hit on the 8.5s being pressed from 9.0+ ? There is always an inherent risk that pressing can decrease a grade. There you have it, can even happen to the professionals.

I thought the Evil Ernie's were both 9.0 as-is before the press. The Wolverine #1 looked like a 9.4 pre-press. Here are the post press notes, but even these sound more like 9.0 - 9.2 books, not 8.5.

Evil Ernie #1 Notes:
spine wear & stress breaks color
light surface wear back cover

Evil Ernie #2 Notes:
spine stress breaks color
few light bends front & back cover (shouldn't this press out?)
fingerprints back cover (I never saw these)

Wolverine #1 Notes:
crease top edge front cover breaks color (I never saw this)
Post 10 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
fingerprints are the devil!!! My ASM 300 got hammered for them on the back cover. GRRRRR
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Regarding the 8.0’s first of all thank you for not getting them signed. Since they are unsigned, I would crack them, repress and clean, then send to cgc for the 9.0’s they deserve.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Always wear gloves folks. Always wear gloves.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Always wear gloves folks. Always wear gloves.

Do you use cotton or nitrile?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Latex
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user

What does the label on that Alf book say?
Post 16 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
heh...."classic cover"
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertofredrico
What does the label on that Alf book say?

As mentioned above "Classic Cover"
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like Alf is pretty happy there.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
A classic cover from 1991?
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I learned to wear gloves and I learned to press, now I can only blame me.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

This is why I hate these threads ...I didn't know there was a sailor moon comic and i most certainly didn't know there was a rare one...

so , of course I went and looked it up on eBay and saw there was an even rarer silver version and ended up buying it for what is probably way too much....but hey..its fools like me that keep the market running strong baby!!
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
This is why I hate these threads ...I didn't know there was a sailor moon comic and i most certainly didn't know there was a rare one...

so , of course I went and looked it up on eBay and saw there was an even rarer silver version and ended up buying it for what is probably way too much....but hey..its fools like me that keep the market running strong baby!!

So I'm a HUGE anime fan, which is why I even have the Sailor Moon comic. I just found the auction you won, and you are a brave man to buy it on my off the cuff comment. It is pretty rare though because you had to both be a Toyko Pop club member AND be at SDCC in person in 1999 to get the book. Add to that the ravages of 20 years of time, and not many copies exist.

Here is its cousin (Sailor Moon #1 SDCC variant) which is also hard to find, but not as rare as the #11.

Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

So I'm a HUGE anime fan, which is why I even have the Sailor Moon comic. I just found the auction you won, and you are a brave man to buy it on my off the cuff comment. It is pretty rare though because you had to both be a Toyko Pop club member AND be at SDCC in person in 1999 to get the book. Add to that the ravages of 20 years of time, and not many copies exist.

Here is its cousin (Sailor Moon #1 SDCC variant) which is also hard to find, but not as rare as the #11.

well then...that's enough for me ..I'm happy . I get in these moods once in a while. I suspect its the bi-polar in me Cool stuff even if I got burned on price
Post 24 IP   flag post
and mine looks like its going to be an 8.5 maybe ..so not quite as sweet as your 9.6 above
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

just got it in 10 mins ago...its in great shape...frikin mailman left box outside...it was soaked through. Thank god for plastic wrap

but how do I remove enormous amounts of finger prints ?
Post 26 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Have you tried the microfiber eyeglass wipes? NOT anything wet!
Post 27 IP   flag post
ha! how'd you know I had a wet paper towel in my hand...no, I haven't tried those wipes but I will thnx
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

I thought the Evil Ernie's were both 9.0 as-is before the press. The Wolverine #1 looked like a 9.4 pre-press. Here are the post press notes, but even these sound more like 9.0 - 9.2 books, not 8.5.

Evil Ernie #1 Notes:

Evil Ernie #2 Notes:

Wolverine #1 Notes:

Are you saying the Evil Ernie 1, 2 were CBCS 9.0's before being pressed?

Did you sub the books in their slabs or did you cracked them out and bags board them before subbing them?

The cover stock on that 5 issue run of Evil Ernie is easily damages and If pressed in virtually any press other than a seal 160 or 210 ( a press that accolades 2 single books with a 1.5" overlap on all 4 sides of the foam board sheets...that could be the reason for the downgrade itself.

It is not an issue of a pro causing the down grade or a 2 bit hack like myself.

If you pay $10 or $15 ,you are getting what you pay for.

But if you cracked the slabs yourself, it is just as likely that you caused the downgrades either by uneven application of pressure applied when bagging boarding the books initially,. OR uneven pressure transferred onto the areas that had pre-existing spine stress, jacking them up on the way to CBCS.
Post 29 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:
Quote:

Evil Ernie #1 Notes:

Evil Ernie #2 Notes:

Wolverine #1 Notes:

Are you saying the Evil Ernie 1, 2 were CBCS 9.0's before being pressed?

Did you sub the books in their slabs or did you cracked them out and bags board them before subbing them?

The cover stock on that 5 issue run of Evil Ernie is easily damages and If pressed in virtually any press other than a seal 160 or 210 ( a press that accolades 2 single books with a 1.5" overlap on all 4 sides of the foam board sheets...that could be the reason for the downgrade itself.

It is not an issue of a pro causing the down grade or a 2 bit hack like myself.

If you pay $10 or $15 ,you are getting what you pay for.

But if you cracked the slabs yourself, it is just as likely that you caused the downgrades either by uneven application of pressure applied when bagging boarding the books initially,. OR uneven pressure transferred onto the areas that had pre-existing spine stress, jacking them up on the way to CBCS.

Bolded text is not even close to the truth.
Post 30 IP   flag post
600731 35 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?