Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Original ArtworkComics Magazines

The original art I sacrificed keys for...5597

Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
So earlier this month I sold a few of my keys (BA12, GSX1) along with one of my personal grails, Vampirella #1 CGC 9.0 White Pages. Well this is what it was all for:

Vampirella #1 cover tribute painting by famed Vampirella artist Sanjulian!
Oils on 14x18 canvas

Here is the Vampirella #1 I gave up to fund the painting:

I figured this would be the closest I would ever get to owning a Frazetta painting, and I'm so excited it was done by another gifted artist who worked on the title. This may start a trend for me though; selling my comics for art...
Post 1 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Very nice and looks to be well worth it!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
Is that coffee color art?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Cowabunga_Kyle private msg quote post Address this user
Looks dope! Let's see a mock up!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Congratulations. That's awesome. Hope you enjoy it.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by comicsforme
Is that coffee color art?

Nope, it's a traditional oil painting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masochism
Looks dope! Let's see a mock up!

Here it is in its temporary home, my 18x24 art portfolio.

Post 6 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Congrats. Killer OA is always cooler then some SA/BA book every other guy owns a copy of.
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Awesome.

How would you compare resale values of this original artwork, compared to the books you sold to fund it? Five or ten years from now.

Not that there has to be a financial aspect to "something you want".
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Cowabunga_Kyle private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
How would you compare resale values of this original artwork, compared to the books you sold to fund it? Five or ten years from now.

I think it's all about how the owner of the work feels about the art in their collection. The art is a one off, no one else has that original painting so it's hard to compare.

If it were me, I'd def go for the art over the books he sold to get them.

And those are my two cents!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
This may start a trend for me though; selling my comics for art...

I bet many OA collectors start this way. Sure saves space.
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I would also. But it is an interesting question in a community of people that mostly collect comic books. Of course I and most others, do own original art. But it isn't discussed much here and there.

I like the colors used on the original piece, more than the colors of the cover.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Awesome.

Not that there has to be a financial aspect to "something you want".

So here is the breakdown of the transaction:

Comics sold:
9.0 BA12 - $450
5.5 GSX1 - $600
9.0 Vampi - $1000
Total = $2050

Vampi art price was:
Total = $1735

So I pocketed $315 cash which I promptly spent on another book.

Now the books may all go up with time, but the painting is due for future increases as well. Sanjulian is 76 years old now and will be 86 in 10 years, and while I wish him a long life of painting, he may be taken from us by then. At that point his work will probably become more valuable. In addition the fact that he was a major Vampirella cover artist and he masterfully captured the original Frazetta cover will make this a sought after piece by Vampirella fans (even if he did more than one).

So as a long term investment, I think the painting is the better bet. With that said, I will be professionally framing it and leaving it to my kids when I'm gone from this mortal coil. If they choose too, they should not have a problem selling it.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkga Fantastic piece of OA sir! I hope it finds a frame worthy of it someday. I've got two of my own OA projects I'm chipping away at, commission by commission.

First, I'm trying to get my favorite artists to do custom cover swipes based on the Todd McFarlane ASM #300/301 cover. I know its not the most incredible/detailed cover in the history of comics, but its my personal favorite. I have all of the Marvel-Produced swipes, but there are so many characters/costumes left in the spider-family that I want to see, so I'm having them made. Brent Schoonover (http://brentschoonover.com/) is doing a trio of #300 swipes: Spider-Man 2099, Scarlet Spider (Ben Riley), & Venom Noir (which doesn't have an official Marvel counterpart, so I'm really excited to see how that one turns out!).

Second, I'm indulging in some serious nostalgia. When I went to the LCS with my dad, and the owner was an older gentleman (70+), but he was extremely nice. Best thing was that he would always add a freebie with the purchase of five comics. It was usually a big nothing, a value-less reader-quality back issue, a promotional item, etc. Well in '94 he was handing out the Marvel Masterprint trading cards by Fleer, which featured ASM art by Mark Bagley. So I'm commissioning current artists to do updated versions of the Masterprints in their art style(s); and when they're done I'm going to frame them together to make the big image, just like the original cards. The first one was done by Karl Slominski (http://www.slomotionart.com/); it was Symbiote-based at my request.

Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkga Looks better than the final version of the Frazetta piece anyways, so nice score! I loved his original but after he changed it, I think it looks terrible now
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHicks
@Darkga Looks better than the final version of the Frazetta piece anyways, so nice score! I loved his original but after he changed it, I think it looks terrible now

I actually was not aware of the change; I learn something new every day. Do you have a link to a side by side comparison of the original and the update?
Post 16 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkga Beautiful

I don't collect OA but I'll take that piece of art over the books sold anytime.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

I actually was not aware of the change; I learn something new every day. Do you have a link to a side by side comparison of the original and the update?

Lets hope i don't get suspended for this lol

Apparently Frank thought the Vampirella costume was stupid so he painted over the original and took her costume off...not only does the nude version just seem boring, but the new, lighter colors just make the painting look terrible So unfortunate to have lost such a beautiful original piece of art
Post 18 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
oh god i would do anything to own those original processes
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:

Apparently Frank thought the Vampirella costume was stupid so he painted over the original and took her costume off...not only does the nude version just seem boring, but the new, lighter colors just make the painting look terrible So unfortunate to have lost such a beautiful original piece of art

OMG, I have always thought that Frazetta could do no wrong, but WOW! Why did he just not paint another version instead of messing up the original?! Now I KNOW I will never own the original cover art even if I did win the lotto!
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkga That is a very nice piece of art. Congrats.
Post 21 IP   flag post
This is one of my favorite homages to that original Frazetta piece

Post 22 IP   flag post
@RyanHicks Great minds think alike...

Post 23 IP   flag post
Here is another great Frazetta Vampirella for you @Darkga (I'm sure you've probably seen)...I do believe the original of this one is still out in the wild

Post 24 IP   flag post
Here is the end result in a 18x21 frame with 3" matting. Everything is archival quality with UV acrylic.

Post 25 IP   flag post
@Darkga I really like it. That is a homerun there. Did you have it professionally matted and framed?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
@Darkga I really like it. That is a homerun there. Did you have it professionally matted and framed?

Thanks man! As for the framing I used: framedandmatted.com

You give them specs and they make you the frame, acrylic, matting, etc. Then they mail it to you, and you just put it together. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkga Beautiful
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips

Thanks man! As for the framing I used: framedandmatted.com

You give them specs and they make you the frame, acrylic, matting, etc. Then they mail it to you, and you just put it together. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.
That is so darn cool. Thanks
Post 29 IP   flag post
597964 29 29
This topic is archived. Start new topic?