Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Sketch CoversCBCS Original Art Program OAPCBCS Signature ASPComics Golden AgeComics Silver Age

Allen Bellman Signature question5587

Collector anthonybischoff private msg quote post Address this user
I don’t have any of the ones that Allen Bellman worked on but I do have some tales of suspense and some nice civil war ones. I was thinking getting a couple doodles on the civil war ones and was trying to find out if it would be worth it or not to do it because he didn’t work on them. The issues for Tales of Suspense I have are 66,69,71,81,88,93. The other idea is to find a newer comic of captain America and have him sign that. Any suggestions.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector eee91 private msg quote post Address this user
Some people have gotten Allen Bellman to sign "Fantasy Masterpieces #10". Its not hard to get a copy on eBay, and its cover reprints the classic cover from All-Winners Comics #19. So while Bellman's story isn't reprinted in it, his work is kind of associated with that All-Winners Comics. That was one I was considering getting done.

Or go with the doodles on a sketch cover. Can't go wrong with that.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Dick_Pontoon private msg quote post Address this user
I’d go for doodles on a sketch cover. I’ve never understood having somebody autograph a book they had nothing to do with. If you don’t want to go the doodles route, what about the 1970s Human Torch series? There’s a Bellman reprint in issue #3. You ought to be able to pick up a copy any day of the week on ebay for a few bucks. If you’d like something more esoteric but inexpensive, what about some of his 50s books like Justice 9, 16, 22, 31 or 34, or Sports Action 10, 13 or 14? I’ll bet there’s some copies of those on ebay as well.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector BelyMedved private msg quote post Address this user
Allen Bellman is one of the nicest and coolest people I have ever met. If it helps at all what to ask him to sign or draw, here is a pic of some custom art Allen Bellman recently did for me on a newer blank cover Captain America. I am extremely pleased wth it. I thought it would be cool to have Cap and Miss Fury on the cover, and he made it happen. I think I have the only comic with Cap and Miss Fury.

Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector anthonybischoff private msg quote post Address this user
What did that cover run you @belymedved
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector BelyMedved private msg quote post Address this user
A quick note I forgot to put..... Although I am sure nobody meant anything derogatory by the word "doodles" above, I would suggest not using the word "doodle" when submitting any request to Mr. Bellman. In discussing the time and atteniton he puts into his work, he noted to me that "I don't do doodles; I do art." Just thought that might be helpful.

And as for how much the cover ran me.....it was very very reasonable. I believe it was around 375 if I remember right. But that may not be what it runs currently or in general.
Post 6 IP   flag post
600661 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?