Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Graded

Quadruple cover scammer busted558

Collector Kav private msg quote post Address this user
Seller was outed over there as making fake multiple cover books. Finally admitted it but said his 'friend' did the books 'without his knowledge'.
He sold this book:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MS-MARVEL-1-DOUBLE-COVER-ERROR-MISPRINT-CBCS-KAMALA-X-MEN-AVENGERS-CGC-STAN-LEE-/322118559481?nma=true&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&rt=nc&si=OYojvppFefmYhH%252Ffd%252F3%252B1%252BaPxac%253D&orig_cvip=true&rmvSB=true
Of course it's possible the book was slabbed separately and not part of his hijinx. So he was sprinkling some real slabs with his fakes.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector SleepyZ private msg quote post Address this user
Well now, this is interesting.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like there was at least one more graded by CBCS.

Here's the Ms Marvel #1 from the link above:
https://www.cbcscomics.com/grading-notes/16-14D875B-002

On the same invoice: Howling Commandos of SHIELD #2
https://www.cbcscomics.com/grading-notes/16-14D875B-001
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
I saw that I go over to check back to see if they have made any progress with their slab-gate over there. Looks like someone called out a eBay seller eBay guys shows up takes a beating someone says how can you trust a company that puts this in a blue slab. Your link which is a eBay sale by the same seller. It's also brought up about the CGC journey into mystery 83 that cgc couldn't make up there mind on. Then the seller Flames out some stuff get deleted small refund issued. If these type of things are your thing I would me careful buying something like this
Post 4 IP   flag post
You can see from the interior pics he provided how easy it is to tell re attached staples. There's always 'fluffing' around the staple hole and the prongs never go back down correctly. If you keep trying, then they get a tell tale dent. You are pushing a tiny wire through multiple pages that are never lined up exactly and are moving as you do it. When you push the prong down lateral roll occurs causing more staple hole damage.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
@Kav I noticed over there you said: "can someone run down for me what transpired to get him to confess? I missed all that.
mods: this thread was an active board investigation doing a public service. Sometimes things get tense but that is no reason to wipe stuff out."

All I can suggest is using the cache function of Google, I've used it before and it works. Might be a little bit of a pain to track down every page tho.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=site:collectors-society.com+The+ebay+seller+may+be+a+con-artist&btnK=Google+Search
Post 6 IP   flag post
Thx Stu-it's a bit slow going but you can track down every post.
I tried to cache on my own but I only got one hit-how did you get multiple pages of cache hits?
Post 7 IP   flag post
I just Googled the thread title. I can't bring up specific pages, so I just look through them. In my link you can see that some results are from 4 days ago, 2 days ago, some are 15 hours ago, etc., so i just guesstimate. I'm pretty sure he wasn't outed 4 days ago, so I skip those first.
Post 8 IP   flag post
You can also see the first sentence of the posts which helps
Post 9 IP   flag post
You know me, I'm just here to help
Post 10 IP   flag post
I know you
Post 11 IP   flag post
This is a good one:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:uDtvfg4PvOkJ:boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php%3Fubb%3Dshowflat%26Number%3D9414653+&cd=15&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector matterus023 private msg quote post Address this user
Someone had his weetabix this morning ha

I hope he doesn't celebrate Father's day and pass his immoral crap onto his kids
Post 13 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
The ebay auction went poof. Was this whole event actualy someone who faked books and got them past CBCS grading, or was it all an elaborate smear campaign?
Post 14 IP   flag post
hm
Post 15 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
That's a shame, but at least he got outed.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector KenWorthing private msg quote post Address this user
.. added to blocked sellers list
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector SleepyZ private msg quote post Address this user
Some people in this hobby make me hate this hobby.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector KenWorthing private msg quote post Address this user
I've started reading the whole thread .. makes for some interesting reading (and I'm only on page 6 of 21)
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kav
Seller was outed over there as making fake multiple cover books. Finally admitted it but said his 'friend' did the books 'without his knowledge'.

I might have missed where he admitted to faking, or had knowledge of the faking of any books prior to listing. [Edited to match Kav's edit]
Post 20 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
Some People will do anything to sell comics and make money
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector DWL private msg quote post Address this user
Hey all, I just posted on the other forum what I think about this. Based on what I have read I have little doubt this Munkalunk character took part in creating those "Frankstein" books.

I also noted that one thing to consider before throwing any of the grading companies under the bus is that maybe, just maybe this Munkalunk character bought those slabbed books already slabbed and he is merely re-selling them. Just because he is selling those slabs does not prove he submitted them.

Therefore, while unlikely, this does not prove either of the grading companies missed these, they may well be legitimate printing errors that where slabbed.

He did mention he liked odd items like double and triple cover books in one of his posts. Perhaps this is even where he got the idea to create the raw double, triple or quadruple covers he was selling?
Post 22 IP   flag post
Here are what's left of his posts. It looks like he deleted two so I don't know what they said, or where they were posted. Unless they made reference to subbing THIS book, might it be real?
I'm not being an apologist for anyone, I'm just wondering if this particular book is actually revealed as a fake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seller
I am the seller of the books in question...and I'm here to say that I don't make or create fakes. I buy them from a local shop and list them on ebay to try and flip them....the same reason anyone sells on ebay. But due to all the slandering of me...I took all the books down from ebay cause it's not right that I get the 3rd degree for something even I am unaware of when buying these type of books. I'm sorry for any confusion regarding my listings and me as a seller. It was never my intent of starting a wave of judgment in my character.

Well I am no con artist by any means. I love error / misprint, double or more covered books...it just lets me know that I have been scammed and I wish to not do that to anyone else unbeknownst to me. I just don't want to be slandering for things that are out of my control. I respect CGC and the other companies for what they do in detecting fakes and labeling them as "MARRIED" on the labels. But it was never my intent to cause an uproar on ebay or the CGC chat boards.

I buy them from the shop (usually sold for between 50 to 150) and they are error books and I try sell them in hopes of making either my money back or more. But the guy usual cuts me a deal on the books cause that's what I buy from him the most. But now that I realize that these are possible fakes it's not in my consciousness to continue selling these type of books much less buy them anymore.

The dealer is a friend of mine (or he was now). But the shop is a local hot spot around here I can't put him or the shop on blast like that. Just know that I'm not going to be shopping there anymore and your minds should be put at ease.

I told you I'm not going to put the shop on blast.
Post 23 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kav
This is a good one:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:uDtvfg4PvOkJ:boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php%3Fubb%3Dshowflat%26Number%3D9414653+&cd=15&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
This is the damning post second one down quoted by BUTM
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWL
Hey all, I just posted on the other forum what I think about this. Based on what I have read I have little doubt this Munkalunk character took part in creating those "Frankstein" books.

I also noted that one thing to consider before throwing any of the grading companies under the bus is that maybe, just maybe this Munkalunk character bought those slabbed books already slabbed and he is merely re-selling them. Just because he is selling those slabs does not prove he submitted them.

Therefore, while unlikely, this does not prove either of the grading companies missed these, they may well be legitimate printing errors that where slabbed.

He did mention he liked odd items like double and triple cover books in one of his posts. Perhaps this is even where he got the idea to create the raw double, triple or quadruple covers he was selling?

@DWL Yeah, I see that.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Ah, I didn't see his disclaimer at the end. Good enough I suppose.
Post 26 IP   flag post
"boy did this thread get a hair cut from last night. lol glad I saved part of the exchange between CAK & Vger7."

Damn! Someone tell Dr. X to PM me
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kav
This is a good one:
This is the damning post second one down quoted by BUTM

That's the quote I was just going to post:

"I see everybody is still talking about this ****.

You want the truth ****ers well here it is...my friend makes the books. I didn't know he makes them until I asked him earlier. But I figured I could make a little off them by selling them on ebay not knowing they were fakes.

But after getting questioned about them over and over and taking them down...canceling bids and every other ****ing thing to do...but it still looks like I get the 3rd degree **** (**** you adonis by the way)

I don't want to have anything further to do with this ****. But ALL of you are still riding my **** about it and I guess that makes yall feel good about it."
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector DWL private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWL

@DWL Yeah, I see that. Looks like kav admits it's a possibility too. Huh.
Hopefully he'll edit his initial post here, while he can, since it sounds so definite and sure.

Sounds good. I agree.

For all I know I could be wrong but some of those comments sound so definitive. Just seemed to me like there are some assumptions being made.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Sorry if I sounded damning to CBCS and CGC
I have no information about the slabbed books just the seller's history faking dupes
Post 30 IP   flag post
597874 46 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?