Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

"Hilltop Pedigree" on eBay...LOLZ.5554

Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F263494785829

This eBay seller has been hawking books as a pedigree collection for at least half a year.

Seller says it is an original owner collection of 65,000 books, originated from Cherry Hill NJ.

I live 10 minutes from Cherry Hill and I know virtually all of the comic shop owners and dealers in the area. I would have heard about a collection like this popping out of the woodwork.

P.T. Barnum marketing, all day.

I just looked at one of his new listings, it's one of the books on my saved eBay searches and he now has added a generic "certificate of authenticity" to his "Hilltop Pedigree" listings.

I remember messaging this toolbox a few months back and asking for more info on the books.

Got a vague reply indicating they were "looking into things with regard to pedigree status with CGC and CBCS...blah blah blah"....

...well, I guess the step above a 10 cent xerox print off of a C.O.A. sums up the response of the pedigree inquiry to CGC and CBCS...which I am sure he never made.

I lost interest when I saw that this wanker was actually getting decent money for these books in auction.

Loose grading, no scans and calling books Pedigrees....

I guess I'm going about things the wrong way.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
You could report whoever it is to eBay for fraud if you think you have enough material to take this seller out

Btw - you didn’t provide eBay id or link
Post 2 IP   flag post
Gotcha, added the link right after I put that post up.

How his listings are worded, I do not think they are *technically* fraudulent.

He makes no claim that the pedigree is recognized by CGC,CBCS or Overstreet.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
I gotta try this, print up some COA's for the Villainous Collection...
Post 4 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I was going to buy a Hulk 181 from that guy a few weeks ago but didn't like the cover overlap and the dithering of the cover print. Looked off. Then I saw the Hilltop bs and immediately thought every buyer from this guy is going to attempt grading and gain the Hilltop Pedigree but without paperwork it means jack. The only only one who could alledgely put a pedigree on the label is if the owner himself submitted the book with proper paperwork to prove pedigree status.

I moved on and bought a different Hulk 181 instead because of all of this nonsense.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Also had a listing here...
https://www.comicsvalue.com/MARVEL-PREMIERE-3-NM-92-Hilltop-Pedigree-COLLECTION-1st-Dr-Strange-Serie/262657026468.html
Post 6 IP   flag post
I just sent him this question...

I was looking for verification of the "Hilltop Pedigree Collection". I couldn't find any through CGC or Overstreet. Can it be verified through an independent source? What is other information available?
Thanks for your transparency and honesty.

If I get a reply, I'll let you know.
Post 7 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
I was going to buy a Hulk 181 from that guy a few weeks ago but didn't like the cover overlap and the dithering of the cover print. Looked off. Then I saw the Hilltop bs and immediately thought every buyer from this guy is going to attempt grading and gain the Hilltop Pedigree but without paperwork it means jack. The only only one who could alledgely put a pedigree on the label is if the owner himself submitted the book with proper paperwork to prove pedigree status.

I moved on and bought a different Hulk 181 instead because of all of this nonsense.

this one, eh? https://www.ebay.com/itm/INCREDIBLE-HULK-181-VF-NM-9-0-WHITE-PGS-034-HILLTOP-PED-COLL-034-1974-1st-WOLVERINE-/263455482177?ul_noapp=true&nma=true&si=93GkQbA0U27sOa6J%252BzAA5JYxu1M%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

i sent them a message inquiring additional info but i must have struck their "b!+ch string" somewhere because they never replied to me

this is what i asked "hi. Id like to bid on this item. Is the lower staple still intact or is it popped? Do you have pictures of it showing the lower staple on the spine and on the center page? Thanks."

i guess they didn't want to factor in the 3" color-break crease and the 1/4 tear on the cover on hulk's left elbow into their "grading" knowledge

and the comment that pricked my trouser was this one "WE DO NOT GUARANTEE THIRD PARTY GRADING
COMPANY GRADES WILL MATCH OR GRADES....PERIOD.

YOUR COMIC COULD GRADE LOWER IF SENT IN TO CGC OR CBCS .......OR IT COULD GRADE HIGHER.

EITHER WAY IT IS A RISK YOU ARE TAKING, IF YOU WANT OR NEED A CERTAIN GUARANTEED GRADE, MEANING SPECIALLY
WITH A BLUE GRADING COMPANY LABEL, PLEASE BUY ONE ALREADY GRADED. "

i feel bad for the bloke that bought this book. if he wanted this badly enough, i know of an ebay seller that's selling Hulk 180, 181, 182 all graded and signed. at a really bad price, though.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Here is the reply LOL!

New message from: harleypool (1,206Red Star)
A pedigree doesn't have to be recognized by a 3rd party grading company to be a Pedigree. All the information about the collection is listed on all auctions
Post 9 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
Here is the reply LOL!

A pedigree doesn't have to be recognized by a 3rd party grading company to be a Pedigree. All the information about the collection is listed on all auctions

Great news. We ALL now have our own Pedigree collections!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Part of the definition of pedigree comics from Comic Book Pedigrees (http://comicpedigrees.com/pedigree-criteria.php) is
"4) MARKET ACCEPTANCE
CGC and the collecting community must continue to recognize the pedigree name of a collection past the point of initial sale."

This Harleypool person failed on this part. On the bright side, I'm in agreement with @esaravo Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
I just sent him this question...

I was looking for verification of the "Hilltop Pedigree Collection". I couldn't find any through CGC or Overstreet. Can it be verified through an independent source? What is other information available?
Thanks for your transparency and honesty.

If I get a reply, I'll let you know.

There is no other information available because it is a crock of shite.

Btw, when I first saw this seller's "Hilltop Pedigree" listings I am pretty sure that the seller had his location listed as Cherry Hill, or maybe it was Philadelphia... which is less than 10 miles from Cherry Hill.

Now it is shown as "COMIC TOWN, USA".
Post 12 IP   flag post
I am tempted to buy a $10 book from this guy just so I can see the seller's full name after I pay him.

A few months back he was getting serious coin for his "Hilltop" books. When I checked his sold listings last night, it seems that the pool of buyers who got suckered into this scam is now running dry. It only makes sense that his books aren't selling as well as they were when I looked at them months back.

You can only juice the market for so long.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
https://www.comicsvalue.com/MARVEL-PREMIERE-3-NM-92-Hilltop-Pedigree-COLLECTION-1st-Dr-Strange-Serie/262657026468.html

Haha.

This listing states the "Hilltop Pedigree" consists of 70,000 books.

His eBay listings state 65,000.

Dude can't even keep his numbers straight.😆😁🤣
Post 14 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Going to call my pedigree "The Mixed Emotions" pedigree.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:

Haha.

This listing states the "Hilltop Pedigree" consists of 70,000 books.

His eBay listings state 65,000.

Dude can't even keep his numbers straight.😆😁🤣

Maybe he just bought 5000 books and added it to his OO collection
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Here is the reply LOL!

So my 5 longboxes of 90s crap is now worth something! Awesome!
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
70,000 books

That must have been before he made his COA.

Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
70,000 books

That must have been before he made his COA.

Got a clearer scan? 😈
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Here is the reply LOL!

I hate fraudulent sellers.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector antoniofett private msg quote post Address this user
I wonder what I'll call my pedigree. Since I'm from Iowa I think I'll call the "Flat Land pedigree" what do you guys think?!

Now off to staples to get myself a COA!
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABitEvil
Quote:
Quote:
Here is the reply LOL!

I'll take all those late 80s/early 90s "crap Valiant" titles.

You know...Harbinger, X-O, etc.

Yeah...you don't need them anyhow, huh?

Do you need my address?

:o)
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Here is the reply LOL!

I'll take all those late 80s/early 90s "crap Valiant" titles.

You know...Harbinger, X-O, etc.

Yeah...you don't need them anyhow, huh?

Do you need my address?

Yeah there's nothing that cool in those boxes.
Post 23 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Is the SELLER the Original Owner of this collection...or did he
purchase the collection from the Original Owner?

Marty
Post 24 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
He purchased the collection from the pedigree owner.
Post 25 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
He purchased the collection from the pedigree owner.

Thank you.
Marty
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:

Yeah there's nothing that cool in those boxes.

LOL...DARN IT!!

Yeah, some of that stuff if very cool and has good writing and art.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Would you all feel better if he called it a collection as opposed to a pedigree?
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan510
Would you all feel better if he called it a collection as opposed to a pedigree?

I've always wondered, who determines what is it is not a "pedigree"?

The reason why I ask this, is because I have many books I bought and stuffed into bags for nice keeping....just like many others have done also!!....

Does the 'collection' require them all to be golden and silver age, and no copper? Or only those to have been purchase by one owner from a certain store or newsstand during the golden or silver age or even copper?

Who decides what... and what does it really matter? You are buying a book. Provenance is not really established at all.....as it is 28th all other things,

Why are double standards trying to be employed into the hobby?

Shoot...I would buy a piece of original art of a key figure, by the original artist, before I buy a supposed pedigree book from a collection that some other person decided it was such.

IMO - We need to control the BS that is trying to be inputted into the hobby by newcomers.

#ComicCommunityUnite

Post 29 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
IMO - We need to control the BS that is trying to be inputted into the hobby by newcomers.

Agreed!

But I feel it is more imparative to control the BS inputted by shady scamming sellers who know better, and their objective is to take advantage of newcomers and uneducated collectors.
Post 30 IP   flag post
598080 52 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?