Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Golden AgeComics Modern Age

Personal grail purchases548

Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkfro
I've been a fan of Richie Rich since I was a small child in the 70s. Always wanted a RR #1. Finally got the chance to pick one up several years ago. I would like to upgrade someday

Richie Rich was my first comic book purchase. I also liked Casper, some of the Donald Duck comics and Hot Stuff!! I've just recently begun buying some Hot Stuff comics. Good stuff!!
Post 51 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
My grails are a bit different than most.
I've wanted a copy of this book for a long time. However, it goes for big money on ebay. I was at a small local show a couple years ago, just looking through a couple unsorted boxes and pulled out a copy. I almost fell over. Fast forward about a year later, I'm at the same local show, going through more unsorted boxes from the same seller and pull out another copy!!!!

That's super cool. My friend's parents were really into Peanuts. I think they met Charles Schulz at one point and he signed a couple of their big Peanuts anthology books. That's an awesome find.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector Jerkfro private msg quote post Address this user
I had pretty much resigned myself to never owning one copy, never mind two. Just too expensive. Got great deals on them both. Sometimes you get lucky.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector Mijael private msg quote post Address this user
Here´s my best 2016 purchase until now i am planning to get a Showcase 22 3.0 or 3.5

and here´s one of my best foreign purchases of the year , this is high grade

Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector roarzola private msg quote post Address this user
Oh man, these are all great finds. I enjoy looking at them.

Thanks for posting.
Post 55 IP   flag post

Collector Loiselle313 private msg quote post Address this user
My 3 personal holy grails. Modern, sure. But I love the art by Joe Quesada. And the Ditko? Well, that's just plain beautiful!

Post 56 IP   flag post
Collector rickdod3 private msg quote post Address this user

I acquired one of my grails last October at a flea market for $2.00...it was sitting on a random table outside under a couple worthless books. Still in shock that I found it.

I had it pressed and sent to CBCS. Came back a 9.4...there are some super tiny color breaks on the spin that killed the grade. Still super happy with it though!
Post 57 IP   flag post

All of my Walking Dead Grails together :-)
Post 58 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
This is what makes this hobby so great. There is so much varied material out there that makes for such an incredible spectrum of what each of us consider a grail and what is personally important. In just a few posts we already have Richie Rich, Peanuts, Aquaman, foreign book of Cap/Sgt.Fury, Spider-man and Walking Dead. A small sampling of the sweeping scope of things in this hobby, just amazing and beautiful!
Post 59 IP   flag post
Collector ThisLand private msg quote post Address this user
I already posted this in the "New to your collection" thread but it's definitely one of my biggest grail purchases so far.

Post 60 IP   flag post
Collector ThisLand private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdod3

I acquired one of my grails last October at a flea market for $2.00...it was sitting on a random table outside under a couple worthless books. Still in shock that I found it.

I had it pressed and sent to CBCS. Came back a 9.4...there are some super tiny color breaks on the spin that killed the grade. Still super happy with it though!

Awesome find! Two bucks, thats great.
Post 61 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I've wanted a copy of this book for a long time. However, it goes for big money on ebay. I was at a small local show a couple years ago, just looking through a couple unsorted boxes and pulled out a copy. I almost fell over. Fast forward about a year later, I'm at the same local show, going through more unsorted boxes from the same seller and pull out another copy!!!!

My son and I are working on completing a Peanuts set-- we have several grails in that set.
Post 62 IP   flag post
Collector CrocHntr private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Oh wow. That's got to be such an adrenaline rush. That's just one of the great feel good moments when it comes to comics. Finding that diamond in the rough is what makes collecting exciting. So much more fulfilling than laying out serious dough for a graded copy at an auction house or ebay or something. Congrats!
Post 63 IP   flag post
Collector cjbehr948 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

$2.00?!?!? Did the seller realize what they had & the mistake they made when you went to pay for it, or were they happy with the $2.00? Either way, good for you! That's some serious luck right there.
Post 64 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbehr948

$2.00?!?!? Did the seller realize what they had & the mistake they made when you went to pay for it, or were they happy with the $2.00? Either way, good for you! That's some serious luck right there.

It was sitting under 2 other books on a table outside of the main building of the flea market. The seller was a younger "redneck" looking fellow. Not exactly sure how he got it...but it was bagged and boarded with a local comic book shops business card on the back of the board so I know exactly what shop it came from. (I still keep the business card in my wallet as a sign of good luck lol)

If I had to guess he had either purchased it from them when it came out, or acquired it later on. Either way...he had no idea what he had, and was very happy to sell it to me for $2.00!
Post 65 IP   flag post
Collector Kinzebac private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

It was sitting under 2 other books on a table outside of the main building of the flea market. The seller was a younger "redneck" looking fellow. Not exactly sure how he got it...but it was bagged and boarded with a local comic book shops business card on the back of the board so I know exactly what shop it came from. (I still keep the business card in my wallet as a sign of good luck lol)

If I had to guess he had either purchased it from them when it came out, or acquired it later on. Either way...he had no idea what he had, and was very happy to sell it to me for $2.00!

That is amazing.
Post 66 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinzebac

That is amazing.

It is! The only downfall is that I made the mistake of telling one of my buddies about finding it there, to which he ran his mouth to everyone...and now NONE of the comic dealers at the flea market want to give me any good deals lol.

Not even in a ball busting joking kind of way...they literally won't work with their prices at all for me lol.
Post 67 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinzebac

That is amazing.

It is! The only downfall is that I made the mistake of telling one of my buddies about finding it there, to which he ran his mouth to everyone...and now NONE of the comic dealers at the flea market want to give me any good deals lol.

Not even in a ball busting joking kind of way...they literally won't work with their prices at all for me lol.

WOW, that truly is an amazing find,... especially for $2.00. Can't say much for your buddy but you seem to be laughing about it. LOL Very sweet score,rickdod3. How much is a 9.4 pulling for nowadays?
Post 68 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

That's a great find. You won the lottery that day.
Post 69 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder

WOW, that truly is an amazing find,... especially for $2.00. Can't say much for your buddy but you seem to be laughing about it. LOL Very sweet score,rickdod3. How much is a 9.4 pulling for nowadays?

It was pretty amazing, it took me a few days to really process it honestly lol. I was mildly in shock haha!

and yeah it's not a big deal that I no longer get price breaks, I always tell them I'll just take my money elsewhere lol.

As far as price goes, I'm not 100% sure. I have been offered $1500 cash for it...but for right now its not leaving my possession unless I need money badly. Plus, I have almost a complete walking dead run...so this is the cherry on top.
Post 70 IP   flag post
Collector Claudio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
My personal grails are treasures I've admired, but never expected to own. Luck, being in the right place at the right time and knowing people with the right connections paved the way for opportunity. I'm sure some folks here have seen these before, but not in this thread.

Original Art grails

Alex Schomburg orig. gouache painting recreating Marvel Mystery #66 (Sept. '45), the last Timely Human Torch war cover (the Ninja format limits image sizing, but trust me, the framed painting is magnificent):

My second original art grail is an oil painting by George Rozen for The Shadow magazine (June 15, 1942):

Those are awesome pieces, Cat. I had the pleasure of seeing that Shadow piece in person that one time.
Post 71 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater

That's a great find. You won the lottery that day.

I did! Unfortunately I haven't been able to top that find...and probably never will! lol I did however find a Secret Wars #8, and Hulk 340 both NM a few weeks back for $1 each.
Post 72 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
My holy grails are Turtles Toys. But, here is Kevin Eastman's personal TMNT #3 Laird Variant Error Copy. Even states "From the Personal Collection of Kevin Eastmen" on the Yellow Label! There are less than 30 known to exist with this grade or higher and this is the only known copy with Eastman's provenance.

Post 73 IP   flag post
Collector cjbehr948 private msg quote post Address this user
@rickdod3: Whatever date you found that book...play that date as lottery numbers if you can. You never know!
Post 74 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke "That's a serious book." (yes, I did just quote Lost Boys there )

@cjbehr948 That book was his lottery ticket.
Post 75 IP   flag post
Collector roarzola private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
My holy grails are Turtles Toys. But, here is Kevin Eastman's personal TMNT #3 Laird Variant Error Copy. Even states "From the Personal Collection of Kevin Eastmen" on the Yellow Label! There are less than 30 known to exist with this grade or higher and this is the only known copy with Eastman's provenance.

can you show a picture of what it is talking about? I don't see it in the Laird Sign.
Post 76 IP   flag post
It's the sign under the T and over the bus.
Post 77 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by roarzola

can you show a picture of what it is talking about? I don't see it in the Laird Sign.

I have both.
Post 78 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
What do you think the value on it is?
Post 79 IP   flag post
@VaComicsGuy Priceless
Post 80 IP   flag post
600758 110 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?