Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Golden AgeComics Modern Age

Personal grail purchases548

Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
In the last month, I've been able to get two personal grails!! They both will be getting pressed before they reach CBCS in 2-3 months. How about others??? Anybody else been able to get a personal grail lately??

This Conan 24 is the nude variant (limited to 4000). I just edited out the naughty pieces.

Post 1 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
I just edited out the naughty pieces.

There is nothing naughty about those pieces.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I've gotten two of mine

Venom was probably my favorite character growing up. I loved him as a Spidey villain and the fact that he had more focus and purpose than "let's just kill people" Carnage. I even enjoyed many of his mini-series after he went good.

Anyways, I actually picked this up maybe 15 years ago at one of my first SDCCs, back when you could decide to go Saturday morning, buy a pass at the convention center enjoy the show a few hours then go downtown for lunch. Anyways, I think I paid like $20 for this at the time, unsigned. The sig came maybe 8 years ago when I got it signed along with a Spawn #1

My favorite character now is the Punisher. I think it was about 2014 that I realized that I was making enough money and that worthwhile keys weren't THAT expensive if you knew where to look (when you're little everything seems prohibitively expensive). Before that, I was strictly a moderns guy. About the middle of last year I was able to pick this baby up raw, along with most of the major Punisher keys at pretty good prices (certainly compared to now).

This guy's currently off to be signed by John Romita and Gerry Conway and MAYBE Stan Lee, if only cuz he named him, but communication with the facilitator's been spotty recently so I don't know if the book actually made it to the Denver Comic Con for the Stan sig.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I also got most of the Harley Quinn keys (big fan!) but I don't have pictures of those to show off right now
Post 4 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user

I was a huge X-men fan as a kid. I bought this with part of a re-enlistment bonus. I've thought about having it pressed, but for now, I am happy with it. My other grail is an Amazing Spider-Man #129. I liked Punisher before, but Garth Ennis just owned it in my opinion. It was a 9.4 but it was in a new CGC slab. I sent it to CFP before CBCS so I will see how it looks when it returns (hopefully still at a 9.4).
Post 5 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley

I was a huge X-men fan as a kid. I bought this with part of a re-enlistment bonus. I've thought about having it pressed, but for now, I am happy with it. My other grail is an Amazing Spider-Man #129. I liked Punisher before, but Garth Ennis just owned it in my opinion. It was a 9.4 but it was in a new CGC slab. I sent it to CFP before CBCS so I will see how it looks when it returns (hopefully still at a 9.4).

That's pretty sweet!! The closest I have to that is a Marvel Milestones reprint with a Stan Lee signature. I can't find my picture of it right now. I think it was a limited edition that he signed 1500 copies of. It came with a COA, but it will be going to CBCS for a red label with the my Conan, IM and a few others.
Post 6 IP   flag post
That's a gorgeous book, @Studley_Dudley! I actually just bought a ragged, coverless X-Men #2 a couple of days ago, just waiting for it in the mail. I might even get it slabbed, eventually lol. Coverless keys are my quirky thing, I guess.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user

Mine. Bought it a couple of weeks ago. I passed on this book 10 years ago and I paid dearly for it. Literally and figuratively. My only other grails are ASM 1 and a DD 1. My favorite characters.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@AndyRexia Daredevil's one of my favorites too! I got a DD 1 earlier this year and while I'm incredibly proud of it, you may wish to avert your eyes if your constitution is weak lol

Post 9 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite thanks so much for sharing. Your book is awesome. I will have one someday soon hopefully. There are lots of books I want, but really only two grails. Thanks again!
Post 10 IP   flag post
@AndyRexia No prob! I'm totally jealous of your ASM 129!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Thanks man. I'm very partial to Miles Morales too and I love Sara Pichelli's art. I cannot for the life of me find out how to get her to sign a book. I guess another grail of mine would be an Ultimate Fallout #4 or Ultimate Spider-Man (2011) #1 signed by her. Oh well, maybe some day. :-)
Post 12 IP   flag post
I never really got into the Ultimate Universe. I had gotten the Ultimate Spider-Man book that collected the first three issues but I didn't really come back for more. I did recently buy all of Ultimate Punisher, Daredevil, and Elektra's appearances so I'll give that a read eventually. I'm tempted to bind them but it's a pretty big stack so it'd require several volumes
Post 13 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite @Jesse_O
Thanks. I ended getting it for a great price. The store I bought it from last year had just got in a banging collection of SA Marvel books. X-men #1, 2 and 4, ASM #1, AF #15, FF #1, Hulk #1, etc. I ended buying the X-men #1 & 2. My friend bought the Hulk 1. The man who runs the store has a great reputation so people from all around just bring him collections when they're ready to unload. He's got fair prices, and he knows yo accurately grade. He just received another huge X-men run in and I picked up a #12 and 13.
There's no shame in having a coverless copy of a book. I have plenty of rags in my collection. I keep most for sentimental value now. Collect what you like is how I roll.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Moderator The_Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studley_Dudley
There's no shame in having a coverless copy of a book. I have plenty of rags in my collection. I keep most for sentimental value now. Collect what you like is how I roll

Spot on
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector roarzola private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
In the last month, I've been able to get two personal grails!! They both will be getting pressed before they reach CBCS in 2-3 months. How about others??? Anybody else been able to get a personal grail lately??

This Conan 24 is the nude variant (limited to 4000). I just edited out the naughty pieces.

One of my grails was also Ironman 128. I just got a cgc 9.4 copy just last month from my brothers for my birthday. My parents and girlfriend, at my party, didn't understand why I wanted it so bad. I love how it shows a vulnerable side of him. It shows we could also conquer our own demons and rise to be heroes. It shows you do not have to be a perfect person to be a hero. To add to my collection, I also want the one where green arrow's sidekick is a "junkie".
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by roarzola
One of my grails was also Ironman 128. I just got a cgc 9.4 copy just last month from my brothers for my birthday. My parents and girlfriend, at my party, didn't understand why I wanted it so bad. I love how it shows a vulnerable side of him. It shows we could also conquer our own demons and rise to be heroes. To add to my collection, I also want the one where green arrow's sidekick is a "junkie".

Very cool!! Yeah, the Green Lantern #85 is another one I'd like to add. I especially like this IM comic because I can personally relate to the cover image. Been there, done that, and I hope to never return there!!
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector mPoore private msg quote post Address this user
My latest grail...
Post 18 IP   flag post
@mPoore Beautiful!
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector mPoore private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@mPoore Beautiful!
Thanks @dielinfinite!
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector ChrisInBaltimore private msg quote post Address this user
Not to be a dick, but I feel like people throw around "Grail" way too much. Your Grail should be ONE book that you always dreamed was unobtainable. The very fact you have two books in the first posts makes me think it isn't your grail.

For me, AF 15 would be my grail, and only god knows if I'll ever actually obtain one.
Post 21 IP   flag post

This is my new grail. Or goblet. I'll go with goblet, since I have my X-men #1. IDW did confirm that it was produced. Finding it has been daunting. One day when the variant market crashes, I can buy one.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisInBaltimore
Not to be a dick, but I feel like people throw around "Grail" way too much. Your Grail should be ONE book that you always dreamed was unobtainable. The very fact you have two books in the first posts makes me think it isn't your grail.

For me, AF 15 would be my grail, and only god knows if I'll ever actually obtain one.

Point taken.

Perhaps grail isn't quite the right word. However, by definition, grail means "a thing that is being earnestly pursued or sought after." So can a grail ever be truly realized? Once you have it in your possession, does it cease to be a grail? How can you pursue something once you have it? Isn't a grail ultimately something beyond your reach? If so, there would be no "grail" posts. So I contend that my definition of a grail is more akin to something that you have long desired, and for one reason or another could not obtain for an extended length of time.

Personally, I have waited years to get these two comics. For the longest time I could not justify spending over $20 on a single comic unless it was signed or a sketch. I could buy $100 in comics, but if a single comic cost over $15, I'd squawk. There were more important things in life to spend my money on. I'm at a point now where I'm not as concerned about meeting my needs and I can splurge on my wants. I also realize that I'd rather have 2-3 $40 to $50 dollar comics than 20-30 $5 comics.

So, if my liberal use of the term "grail" is upsetting to you, I apologize. But that is the term that I think of them in and that is what they are to me. Who is to say you cannot have more than one grail??
Post 23 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
Incredible Hulk #181 being an enormous wolverine fan this is the book I need to have. I'm working towards it but it'll be a while before I can afford one.
Post 24 IP   flag post
@Wolverine I got one last year for my birthday. It's not pretty, in fact it got got the lowest grade I've ver seen (the grading and signature came later). But you know what? I have it and that's enough for me at this point. I'd love to upgrade but I can wait

Post 25 IP   flag post
That's definitely on my want list as well.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@Wolverine I got one last year for my birthday. It's not pretty, in fact it got got the lowest grade I've ver seen (the grading and signature came later). But you know what? I have it and that's enough for me at this point. I'd love to upgrade but I can wait

And signed by Wein!!! Pretty sweet!! That front splash page is a cool one!!
Post 27 IP   flag post
Thanks! I'm really curious about this book's story, I mean, that corner trimming seems like a really strange defect that you can't blame just on wear and tear.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
I know I've posted this before, and it's from CGC (until I get it regarded by CBCS), but this is one of two favorite Batman covers.

BATMAN #9 (February/March 1942)

My other favorite Batman cover is Detective Comics #29, but with the way the prices have gone on that book, it doesn't seem likely that I'll own one anytime soon.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
My personal grails are treasures I've admired, but never expected to own. Luck, being in the right place at the right time and knowing people with the right connections paved the way for opportunity. I'm sure some folks here have seen these before, but not in this thread.

Original Art grails

Alex Schomburg orig. gouache painting recreating Marvel Mystery #66 (Sept. '45), the last Timely Human Torch war cover (the Ninja format limits image sizing, but trust me, the framed painting is magnificent):

My second original art grail is an oil painting by George Rozen for The Shadow magazine (June 15, 1942):

Post 30 IP   flag post
601468 110 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?