Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Golden AgeComics Restoration and ConservationGrading Help NeededQuestions

CGC Green Label to CBCS Blue Label5403

Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by c2t2merch
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
s given a green label due to a married cover via tape

CBCS does not give a restored label to married pages.

Universal blue label, with a note on the label that says what wrap is married. I've done it a few times.

Have you ever sent in a CGC green label to them with the same situation? If so how much of a grade hit would you say on average you typically took? (Obviously this will differ from book to book)

The Married Pages should not cause a grade hit, just a note. As for the tape, I have had up to a 3.5 with taped spine before.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector c2t2merch private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@c2t2merch I have cracked green labels, added the missing wrap, and sent in to CBCS. Its been a while, last one I did was in '16. Superman #11 missing centerfold. I lost a full grade point, but it was likely due to that the centerfold was of lesser quality paper, and CGC does tend to grade a bit higher in my experience.

@shrewbeer For the Superman #11, is the CBCS universal at that grade still worth more than the higher CGC green?
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
One of the problems I have with married pages or back covers is. Some books have changeable ad pages and or back covers that were produced throughout that months production. Which means it’s possibly with certain books that you can chop up a $5.00 western or funny animal and marry ad pages to a valuable super hero key. So a married ad page or back cover is not guaranteed to be from that specific book.
Post 28 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@c2t2merch A CGC green label is a PRETEND grade. A book missing a centerfold is a poor at best, incomplete book .3 at worst. Pretty sure its the latter.

It is now a 4.5, certainly be worth more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer
One of the problems I have with married pages or back covers is. Some books have changeable ad pages and or back covers that were produced throughout that months production. Which means you it’s possibly with certain books that you can chop up a $5.00 western or funny animal and marry ad pages to a valuable super hero key. So a married ad page or back cover is not guaranteed to be from that specific book.

That would be very hard to do, both sides of the paper would have to be identical. I have seen slabs with notes like "wrong back cover", "wrong X-wrap" etc though
Post 29 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer I figured as much, so in your opinion would my book benefit from being submitted to CBCS?
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@c2t2merch A CGC green label is a PRETEND grade. A book missing a centerfold is a poor at best, incomplete book .3 at worst. Pretty sure its the latter.

It is now a 4.5, certainly be worth more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer
One of the problems I have with married pages or back covers is. Some books have changeable ad pages and or back covers that were produced throughout that months production. Which means you it’s possibly with certain books that you can chop up a $5.00 western or funny animal and marry ad pages to a valuable super hero key. So a married ad page or back cover is not guaranteed to be from that specific book.

That would be very hard to do, both sides of the paper would have to be identical. I have seen slabs with notes like "wrong back cover", "wrong X-wrap" etc though

Correct, and you don’t know of the ones that do pass. People that know their books know the ads.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Quote:
@shrewbeer I figured as much, so in your opinion would my book benefit from being submitted to CBCS?

In this case, absolutely. CBCS blue label with a "married" note on the label will sell for far more than a green label of the same grade every day of the week.

Reminds me of a discussion we had on the FB group this weekend. Two nice sketches, one with a 9.2 grade, one with an ART label. People see that 9.2 on a modern book as a scar, and would rather own the ART. The green label is the proverbial scar on your book in this case, as more often than not the green label grade is a complete pretend grade.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

In this case, absolutely. CBCS blue label with a "married" note on the label will sell for far more than a green label of the same grade every day of the week.

Reminds me of a discussion we had on the FB group this weekend. Two nice sketches, one with a 9.2 grade, one with an ART label. People see that 9.2 on a modern book as a scar, and would rather own the ART. The green label is the proverbial scar on your book in this case, as more often than not the green label grade is a complete pretend grade.

@shrewbeer The lowest it could possibly drop to is a 1.0 since its complete, or is that incorrect?
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

@shrewbeer The lowest it could possibly drop to is a 1.0 since its complete, or is that incorrect?

Yeah given what you've shown, I don't think it will drop to 1.0. You should be able to retain that 1.5 easily as long as no ads are cut out
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah given what you've shown, I don't think it will drop to 1.0. You should be able to retain that 1.5 easily as long as no ads are cut out

@shrewbeer Alright, that should show up in the graders notes correct? I'll have to get those.
Post 35 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
but CBCS grades tighter so you'd definitively take a hit to 1.0
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
but CBCS grades tighter so you'd definitively take a hit to 1.0

I think it's 50-50. Not all cgc comics sent to cbcs take a hit...id say 25% from the minimal stats I've seen in this forum. Either way, still worth getting rid of the green label for a 0.5 hit.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Collector BM_Cruz private msg quote post Address this user
Someone correct me if I’m wrong but regardless whether the book is CGC qualified or restored...if it’s submitted to CBCS...it’ll be a blue label with a notation of either “married” or “restored”.

So purely for aesthetic reasons you’d rather have a blue than green label.

If you were to sell the book...It’s up to the buyer of the book to have an eagle eye for such notations.
Post 38 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@BM_Cruz - I would strongly suggest that you read the label of any slabbed book you purchase, regardless of the label’s color. Not only should it note if the book was restored, conserved, or have other issues (married centerfold, extra staple added, etc.), but it will also let you know if it’s a second or later printing, a foreign edition, or even if it’s a reprint. I have seen auctions where a bidder overbids on an item because they looked at the tiny photograph (instead of the full-sized one) and probably didn’t realize that they were bidding on a reprint.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector BM_Cruz private msg quote post Address this user
@eaaravo I totally agree. You should have a discerning eye when purchasing any colored label book! I don’t mean to high jack this thread but I’ve got this book that with all this talk on this thread about green vs. blue that it’s got me thinking...

Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector HammitChris private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa
I would keep as is.

This, unless you're going to sell it. Then the CBCS label might be beneficial.
Post 41 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@BM_Cruz - That’s not a book, that’s a Grail! I would ask Steve Borock his opinion, since he would be the one grading a book like that at CBCS.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@BM_Cruz - That’s not a book, that’s a Grail! I would ask Steve Borock his opinion, since he would be the one grading a book like that at CBCS.

Don't you just want to crack that open so you can hold it in your hands (very gently)? If you're selling it, sure...slab it....you'll get the most out of it. But this book should be held and admired page by page. How many people on this earth get to hold that issue?
Post 43 IP   flag post
596787 43 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?