Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
I love to snipe (no software)! It's the thrill of the hunt. If it's a book I really want, I'll spike bid it too with 4 seconds left. There have been plenty of IDGAF moments where I bid something crazy because I had to have a book. In fact I'm about to have one tomorrow on an auction; wish me luck...
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I bet eBay and sellers make more on emotion based bidding then the kinder gentler Kumbaya bidding that gives everyone a fair chance. Nothing like hitting a panic button!

Sorry, I'm in a mood this evening...must be all the snipe bidding Im kicking arse with this evening!
Post 27 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
found it! https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/5260/page/2/ebay-report/#54

Quote:
If you want to snipe something and WIN at the last second.... spike bid $1000 over what you want in the last 8 seconds of auction end. You'll win no matter what because the people trying to snipe can't snipe to meet that number quick enough.

Sure, there's an inherent risk you might pay significantly over what you wanted, but you'll win no matter what. Rarely does it go beyond what you wanted. This is my experience when trying to buy Ninja Turtle toys from Peter Laird's account or similar items I wanted to win with definite results.

I wouldn’t recommend this. If two or more buyers have this same brilliant idea, someone is going to pay $1,000 more than they wanted to.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
I wouldn’t recommend this. If two or more buyers have this same brilliant idea, someone is going to pay $1,000 more than they wanted to.

My thoughts exactly!
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
Quote:

My thoughts exactly!

That’s why you would not wish to bid in an auction where @kaptainmyke is a bidder - just have to figure out which ones those are - lol
Post 30 IP   flag post

COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I forget who it is. But someone on the CGC forum has a habit of getting a new Ebay ID and bidding like a million dollars, on auctions he thinks are scams or fraud attempts.

At least that is what he claimed he does. I never checked.
Post 31 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
How does the buyer win in that scenario?

They win the auction! If I've been looking for a Green Lama #8 to finish my run, I want that damn book and I'm willing to pay more than guide if it's in the condition I want. Are you telling me you are not willing to pay more than guide for a book you really want?

While the buyers may save a few bucks in the sniping scenario (if they snipe successfully most of the potential buyers end up with nothing but wasted time.

With the other format (time is added, negating sniping) by paying a little bit more I can come away with many of the books I really want. Most of the time it seems I can do so and still make a profit.
Post 32 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:
Quote:

My thoughts exactly!

That’s why you would not wish to bid in an auction where @kaptainmyke is a bidder - just have to figure out which ones those are - lol

I wouldn't want to bid against him on Rick and Morty swag.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
I don't see anything wrong with sniping. In a real world auction one can sit out the early bidding, holding off to see the lie of the land before coming in at the end when it looks to be nearly over.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:
Quote:

My thoughts exactly!

I want to find out so I can bid $975....mwaahaaahaahaahaaaaa!
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Personal preference. I for one love the "buy it now". But I still think the seller could get more if there was no sniping. I know for a fact I would have upped a bid had I not been sniped. There was a $75 gap. I lost it when their bid hit $76. I had no way respond with a higher bid. I lost the auction and the seller lost out on more money. Look at ha.com, the bids there can literally jump hundreds before the end of an auction. Everyone wins. The auction house, the seller and the buyer.

if i do a snipe and win, why would i want it to go for more time, buyers would then be turn off by this, as a buyer you are trying to get the best price not pay more.
Post 36 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion
Quote:
Personal preference. I for one love the "buy it now". But I still think the seller could get more if there was no sniping. I know for a fact I would have upped a bid had I not been sniped. There was a $75 gap. I lost it when their bid hit $76. I had no way respond with a higher bid. I lost the auction and the seller lost out on more money. Look at ha.com, the bids there can literally jump hundreds before the end of an auction. Everyone wins. The auction house, the seller and the buyer.

if i do a snipe and win, why would i want it to go for more time, buyers would then be turn off by this, as a buyer you are try to get the best price not pay more.

Ebay is geared toward the buyer, I don't see them ever giving up the snipe.

Places like Gunbroker add time for every bid (Example, you bid once and it adds 5 minutes to the auction). This is a great thing for sellers, not so much for buyers looking to get a deal.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Places like Gunbroker add time for every bid (Example, you bid once and it adds 5 minutes to the auction). This is a great thing for sellers, not so much for buyers looking to get a deal.

5 minutes seems a bit excessive. I would be happy with 2. It's kind of like Auction Survivor. Outbid, outplay and outlast other bidders. I think I'm on to something here. Sounds like a good name for a new comics auction site. I think that domain is open.
Post 38 IP   flag post
That domain is open. If anyone wants to use it I get 5% on all seller and buyer fees!
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
found it! https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/5260/page/2/ebay-report/#54

Quote:
If you want to snipe something and WIN at the last second.... spike bid $1000 over what you want in the last 8 seconds of auction end. You'll win no matter what because the people trying to snipe can't snipe to meet that number quick enough.

Sure, there's an inherent risk you might pay significantly over what you wanted, but you'll win no matter what. Rarely does it go beyond what you wanted. This is my experience when trying to buy Ninja Turtle toys from Peter Laird's account or similar items I wanted to win with definite results.

I don't understand how this would work.

Most snipers use automated sniping software like Gixen.com, which is what I use.

Given places your bid within the final 5 seconds , if I'm not mistaken, of an eBay auctions's closing.

So of the other bidder(s) are also using sniping software, there is no such thing as not having enough time to place a bid.

Is there something I am missing about the $1000 figure above what your max (most you want to pay) bid is, when that bid is manually put in, in the last 8 seconds of an auction???

Pasted below is the bidding history of a lot I was the winning bidderon a couple days ago, I won the suction at $202.59.

My max bid was $238.

So, if I tried your method, and manually placed my bid at $ 1,238.00....what would this auction have closed at?

Bidding History
Bids
Bidders
Highest Bidder
YOURSTRULY

Bidding History
YOURS TRULY(8)
$202.59
Jan-21-18, 15:17:16 PST
r***1(607)
$200.09
Jan-20-18, 21:28:02 PST
d***s(2909)
$176.00
Jan-21-18, 12:17:53 PST
g***d(3561)
$144.66
Jan-20-18, 17:44:14 PST
m***a(3262)
$89.09
Jan-19-18, 09:22:18 PST
g***y(431)
$68.25
Jan-18-18, 18:39:19 PST
Starting
$68.25
Post 40 IP   flag post
I think it would depend. If another person was using a snipe program and their max bid was $1000, then you would have won at $1000.01 (also depending on the minimum bid increments.)
Post 41 IP   flag post
Mind you, that would totally suck if the item was only valued at say, $500.
Post 42 IP   flag post
I am talking about the auction I pasted the bidding history to.

The bidder below me used sniping software to place his bid at $200.09.

(Or he sat there and waited til the last few seconds to place his $200.09 bid. I doubt he did that, most people use sniping software to avoid that.)
Post 43 IP   flag post
To be clear, I won this auction.

I edited out my eBay I'D when I pasted the bidding history with "YOURS TRULY".
Post 44 IP   flag post
@CopperAgeKids it would have closed at the same amount $202.59 as there were no other higher bidders who bid after you
Post 45 IP   flag post
That is what I thought.

I thought Mykw was saying he figured out some weird algorithm to beating sniping software, that seemed outlandish but I was curious nonetheless.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
That is what I thought.

I thought Mykw was saying he figured out some weird algorithm to beating sniping software, that seemed outlandish but I was curious nonetheless.

What @kaptainmyke is saying is that if he wish a book he will make a bid $1000 higher - in your case $1,238 and typically he would get the book around his price - in your case $238 as it is rare that there are others who bids thst high and he is sure to get the book
Post 47 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
I realize I'm stating the obvious at this point, but it makes no sense to place a bid for $1,000 over what you want an item for. Of course, if you're willing to pay it, that's a different story. And I've seen auctions go for far above what I've wanted them to; that's the nature of an auction.
Post 48 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
I realize I'm stating the obvious at this point, but it makes no sense to place a bid for $1,000 over what you want an item for. Of course, if you're willing to pay it, that's a different story. And I've seen auctions go for far above what I've wanted them to; that's the nature of an auction.

Quite a good percentage of buyers will feel out your bid with small amounts trying to find your top right at the end of the auction. It works well with those folks, but it would be devastating against an aggressive single bid
Post 49 IP   flag post
I once saw an asm 300 9.0 go for a ridiculous amount...something like $500 and it wasn't a newstand. I think two bidders just threw in $500 bids thinking they'd get it for much less...
Post 50 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer, agreed.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Most people buying on ebay are timid and just try to bid as little as possible. The advantage of bidding in the last second is that it lulls other bidders into thinking a smaller number of people... or just them are interested in the item. The last seconds are the only bids that are important. People who want an item cheap will monitor an auction for days and use that trend to conservatively determine how they will bid. Why would I let someone know that I'm interested enough to bid top dollar for an item I want? All it does is attract more attention to the auction and keep it on their mind. I want them to bid low and forget about it.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector NoahSult private msg quote post Address this user
I’ll say it again, bid what you are actually willing to pay. If you lose then it’s no skin off your back.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahSult
I’ll say it again, bid what you are actually willing to pay. If you lose then it’s no skin off your back.

My goal is to spend less than I'm willing to pay. Incremental bid activity days before the auction closes makes my goal less likely.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@conditionfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
I forget who it is. But someone on the CGC forum has a habit of getting a new Ebay ID and bidding like a million dollars, on auctions he thinks are scams or fraud attempts.

At least that is what he claimed he does. I never checked.

This scheme would necessitate more than one bidder bidding in the million dollars dollar range, otherwise the million dollar bid would never be realized. With only one schemer, the winning bid would only be a few dollars more than the next highest bid.
Post 55 IP   flag post
618157 55 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?