Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Just wondering what you sellers out there think about the sniping that happens on eBay? I know that the snipe software is fairly popular but why does eBay allow it? It seems to me it would benefit everyone if they added a 3 minute extension to bidding at the end of the auction. Seller gets more $$$ and buyers can pay more if they really want an item. What say you?
Post 1 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I prefer Comic Connect and My Comic Shop where time is added when bids come in at the last minute.

I find the whole eBay / sniping approach to be annoying.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
1@OGJackster eBay’s focus is towards the buyer. Buyers are better off with not extending the time from a pricing perspective.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Love the snipe. Something about that adrenaline rush in those last 10 seconds...wondering who else is lurking around that I'm going to beat out. And the potential for a good deal Keeps me coming back. You win at poker by not revealing your hand until the end. I never understand why people do that on eBay. You're putting yourself at a disadvantage!

The other auction sites are boring or I find people's high bids are too rich for my blood and get discouraged and move along right away.

But from a practical standpoint if people could see everyone's bids I don't think it'd be as popular...as much as some are annoyed by it.

eBay is the king of online auctions and has been for a long time. they're doing something right.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
I don't want to pay more. So I would like them to keep the current system. As a seller, I have other avenues to realize my asking price.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector NoahSult private msg quote post Address this user
Bid what you are actually willing to pay, then if you lose it’s no big deal.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahSult
Bid what you are actually willing to pay, then if you lose it’s no big deal.

I agree, and I do, but I don't bid that amount until the last 5 seconds! It's worked out well for me.

What I find annoying are those that twiddle around bidding small increments over the course of several days gradually pushing up the price.

For the record, I don't use sniper software...I'm a little intimidated by it and worried I may buy lots more things/spend a lot more money with that kind of ability!
Post 7 IP   flag post
This statement was made elsewhere but, it sums up my thoughts on the subject.

"I am certain this topic exists in many threads on the discussion boards, but I would like to get some current opinions, particularly from people who have fought the sniping wars previously.

I've been selling for over two years (not posting this under my seller ID). Plus I am a semi-frequent buyer.

In my experience as a seller, I find sniping extremely annoying, since it allows auctions to close without a full round of competitive bids.

As a buyer, I find sniping extremely annoying since I have no chance to respond to a higher bid.

You would think eBay would not like sniping since, obviously, it artificially deflates final auction prices, thus decreasing their revenues.

The only people who benefit from sniping are the minority who win auctions at artificially low prices.

The fix is an absolutely simple one; extend the time limit on any auction by one minute every time there is a last-second bid. So the technology is not an issue either.

So perhaps those of you who have more history here than me can explain why eBay allows sniping to persist?"
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
Not everyone can be around their phone or computer to bid on auctions. Sniping allows this.
Post 9 IP   flag post
people love the thrill of pulling out a victory at the last minute...and love a good deal. eBay knows this and that sells And keeps buyers coming back which eBay makes more money...rinse and repeat.

You take that away, you'll Turn buyers off. If what other auction sites is so great, why arent they as big as eBay? eBays model works, and very well. Unless there's a shift in popularity relative to competition, why change your business model?

As a seller, you can avoid a snipe buy just posting your buy it now price and accept best offers. It's what's I do. I don't sell much because I'm not offering deals...my sales are very slow. But I wait for my price.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I get its not for everyone...btw...just explains why I think eBay sticks with what they have.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
I prefer Comic Connect and My Comic Shop where time is added when bids come in at the last minute.

I find the whole eBay / sniping approach to be annoying.

I wouldn't waste my time bidding if time was added. That's too much like a horse walking towards a carrot on a stick. I have a philosophy that it's no one's business how interested I am in a comic. I used to drop in one bid in at the last second and I'd usually win. I might drop one feeler bid in early to see how others react, but my real bid is that last second bid.

Post 12 IP   flag post
Btw, I get its not for everyone...that's why it's great other auctions do it differently. But eBays model seems to generate better sales for them and doubt they'll change it anytime soon.
Post 13 IP   flag post
I read somewhere that eBay is leaning more towards buy it now - auctions is not the key priority for them. If they were going to change to a more dynamic auction with continuous extensions then it would require a significant technology change of their underlying platform.

With a continues extension ppl will bid in smaller increments whereas with a fixed ending time - buyer will go as high as needed in one bid only (see @Kaptainmyke’s comment in another thread to bid $5000j. so ebay has assessed that not worth the investment to change their model.

Whether the above is true or not - don’t know.
Post 14 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
i was looking for that post yeah
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Comic link and Ebay both end there auctions at a specific time. All you have to do it bid what your willing to pay. If you got outbid, than you didn't bid high enough. If your on the fence about how much to pay, than get off the fence.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
found it! https://forum.cbcscomics.com/topic/5260/page/2/ebay-report/#54

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
If you want to snipe something and WIN at the last second.... spike bid $1000 over what you want in the last 8 seconds of auction end. You'll win no matter what because the people trying to snipe can't snipe to meet that number quick enough.

Sure, there's an inherent risk you might pay significantly over what you wanted, but you'll win no matter what. Rarely does it go beyond what you wanted. This is my experience when trying to buy Ninja Turtle toys from Peter Laird's account or similar items I wanted to win with definite results.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:

Quote:
If you want to snipe something and WIN at the last second.... spike bid $1000 over what you want in the last 8 seconds of auction end. You'll win no matter what because the people trying to snipe can't snipe to meet that number quick enough.

Sure, there's an inherent risk you might pay significantly over what you wanted, but you'll win no matter what. Rarely does it go beyond what you wanted. This is my experience when trying to buy Ninja Turtle toys from Peter Laird's account or similar items I wanted to win with definite results.

Ok so $1000 over instead of $5000 -but got the drift - lol
Post 18 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
The Ebay model is threefold. To get something from the seller, a vast pool of potential buyers for sellers, and the ability to find just about anything for the buyers.

It is not about deals or maximizing anyone's profit.

They just want "something" from tens of millions of transactions. They don't care if it is $2.00 or $3.00

Other auction sites want to maximize sale prices to get a bigger profit in their cut. Different business models.

Don't ya just love choices.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Personal preference. I for one love the "buy it now". But I still think the seller could get more if there was no sniping. I know for a fact I would have upped a bid had I not been sniped. There was a $75 gap. I lost it when their bid hit $76. I had no way respond with a higher bid. I lost the auction and the seller lost out on more money. Look at ha.com, the bids there can literally jump hundreds before the end of an auction. Everyone wins. The auction house, the seller and the buyer.
Post 20 IP   flag post
How does the buyer win in that scenario?

And I much prefer the Buy It Now method also. I either buy it or I don't. No haggling and no competition.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Id love to continue this conversation, but I have some auctions to snipe a win out of.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
How does the buyer win in that scenario?

They win the auction! If I've been looking for a Green Lama #8 to finish my run, I want that damn book and I'm willing to pay more than guide if it's in the condition I want. Are you telling me you are not willing to pay more than guide for a book you really want?
Post 23 IP   flag post
I am saying "if I really want it, it will be mine".

I don't bid on the cheap for what I really want. I will bid a grand on a book that should go for $100, if I really want it.

ANYONE can win an auction. Just outbid everyone else. Simple. But that is not a "win". It is a "buy".

Different animals.
Post 24 IP   flag post
i am always amused that we use the term winning an auction when we are actually buying something.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
I love to snipe (no software)! It's the thrill of the hunt. If it's a book I really want, I'll spike bid it too with 4 seconds left. There have been plenty of IDGAF moments where I bid something crazy because I had to have a book. In fact I'm about to have one tomorrow on an auction; wish me luck...
Post 26 IP   flag post
I bet eBay and sellers make more on emotion based bidding then the kinder gentler Kumbaya bidding that gives everyone a fair chance. Nothing like hitting a panic button!

Sorry, I'm in a mood this evening...must be all the snipe bidding Im kicking arse with this evening!
Post 27 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke

Quote:

Quote:

I wouldn’t recommend this. If two or more buyers have this same brilliant idea, someone is going to pay $1,000 more than they wanted to.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck
I wouldn’t recommend this. If two or more buyers have this same brilliant idea, someone is going to pay $1,000 more than they wanted to.

My thoughts exactly!
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck

My thoughts exactly!

That’s why you would not wish to bid in an auction where @kaptainmyke is a bidder - just have to figure out which ones those are - lol
Post 30 IP   flag post
618157 55 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?