Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help Needed

Selling Comics on eBay: Grading5339

It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
If one is not confident (or more correctly just wants to avoid differing opinions) on assigning a grade to raw comics, is it better (as a buyer) for the seller to;

A.) assign an obviously much lower grade

or

B.) assign no grade at all and state the buyer is to determine the grade themselves.

the eBay listing would have a lot of hi-res pictures of the comic.

As a comic buyer, what's preferred?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I always grade conservatively on my listings, and never higher than to say “somewhere in the 9’s) as the highest. I can never guarantee a 9.8 and will not even try a 9.6. As a buyer, I beware
Post 2 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Grading conservatively is a good way to reduce the likely hood of a return.
Post 3 IP   flag post
That is true, but my goal is not “the highest rate of return” on my sales, it’s the least hassle, which means no returned books. And as a human in the minority, I will not willingly or knowingly rip someone else off, a minority opinion in America I fear. By purchasing carefully, I get a very good return, and I do not mind if I can sell and the buyer makes a good profit as well as me
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Describe flaws, be forthcoming about it, photograph/scan said flaws and give a grade range.

Example:

I think this comic grades in the 9.4-9.6 range due to the 2 non-color breaking creases on the spine. Please see the photos.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Grading conservatively is a good way to reduce the likely hood of a return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
That is true, but my goal is not “the highest rate of return” on my sales, it’s the least hassle, which means no returned books. And as a human in the minority, I will not willingly or knowingly rip someone else off, a minority opinion in America I fear. By purchasing carefully, I get a very good return, and I do not mind if I can sell and the buyer makes a good profit as well as me

I think Dr.C meant the book being returned to the seller [?].

As a buyer, I think I'd feel better with conservative grading. If the transaction ends on a good note, I'll likely return.
Of course, the same results can happen in the other scenario too, but conservative grading, especially when advertised as conservative grading, gives off a better vibe ( to me).
Post 6 IP   flag post
Apologies Dr C, there has been some discussions on whether the hobby is actually profitable, and misrepresentation obviously increases profits. It is a persistent danger to any buyer. I have found it very profitable, and don’t want to be That seller.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
I grade at least a full grade lower. I also price lower than most other sellers.

*nudges the community*

Really, take a look at my stuff....I have put all kinds of things out there at really low prices compared to book values, just to sell and hopefully make another person happy with the purchase.

LPs are out there right now, but comics, pop culture, action figures, etc. all find there way to ebay.

Send me your want lists, and I may have it.....I have tried to stay in the "rare" and "HTF" category - but really, what is rare and HTF nowadays?

:o)

Thanks for reading my post.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector teacha777 private msg quote post Address this user
S&H is also important. USA is a place of instant gratification. Making the grading not AS important if you say it’s a 9.4 and it’s actually a 9.2.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
I grade at least a full grade lower. I also price lower than most other sellers.

*nudges the community*

Really, take a look at my stuff....I have put all kinds of things out there at really low prices compared to book values, just to sell and hopefully make another person happy with the purchase.

LPs are out there right now, but comics, pop culture, action figures, etc. all find there way to ebay.

Send me your want lists, and I may have it.....I have tried to stay in the "rare" and "HTF" category - but really, what is rare and HTF nowadays?

:o)

Thanks for reading my post.

Nah, don't under grade. That's leaving money on the table.

Just grade correctly, you look better if you simply grade accurately.

Beyond that, supply front and back cover scans and offer free returns.

I have yet to have a buyer ask me for a return, with this approach, nor have I received any neutral or negative feedback.
Post 10 IP   flag post
600440 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?