Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Restoration and ConservationGrading Help NeededQuestions

Detecting Resto - UVA vs. Black Light5328

Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Trying to learn more about detecting reatoration and defects (like fingerprints or foreign matter) with the naked eye. Trying to decide whether to invest in a tradition black light or LED UV-A flashlight. Online doesn't seem to give weight to one or the other in my minimal rsearch.

I May buy both, but what does the community use here? Does anyone swear by one over the other, or seen both detect different things (I.e., better to check for resto/defects with both)?

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
I have almost zero experience detecting resto.....but what i seem to recognize is that black light will always show any form of color touch and the jewelers loupe is great for detecting any change to the paper and staples. if I'm wrong...I'm sure someone will set me straight in here .

I do know that I had a X-men 1 4.5 (or so) raw in my hand to buy at the last con and it looked great to me . The guy next to me just happened to have a loupe on him and offered it to me ...I instantly saw the rice paper additive on the inside back cover which the seller denied . It saved me from a 2500.00 mistake and once i saw what i was looking for i could actual feel the difference when i slid my fingers over it (which I wouldn't have done if I didn't see it)

So ..those two things I would think are a must ...and i bet the trained eye could even use the loupe to detect chipped paint on a trim job - I'm not that good ...but that loupe is a magnificent piece of equipment.

UV light I have no idea about
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
I've used a black light at work to inspect circuit boards. It can really make certain defects stand out. I would buy that. I'm not sure if I'd trust an LED light to do the same. Maybe it's good, but I'd go with what I know.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector sonny4eyez private msg quote post Address this user
I've used an LED pen light to detect color touch up with a marker before. On the cover it wont be noticeable, but behind you should be able to see it bleed through.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Here is another pic
Post 5 IP   flag post
And adhesive on a tear should look like this. The glue/adhesive is smears around the tear & the tear should naturally split. Hope this helps!
Post 6 IP   flag post
You can also see the tiniest amount of bleed through from the black marker on the above pic as well!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Trying to learn more about detecting reatoration and defects (like fingerprints or foreign matter) with the naked eye. Trying to decide whether to invest in a tradition black light or LED UV-A flashlight. Online doesn't seem to give weight to one or the other in my minimal rsearch.

I May buy both, but what does the community use here? Does anyone swear by one over the other, or seen both detect different things (I.e., better to check for resto/defects with both)?

I don't actually know what a LED UV-A is, but UV and black light are the same thing. Anyway, I had this one recommended to me and it works well. And the price is right, at only $7.99. You don't have to spend much on a black light, I reckon.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio

I don't actually know what a LED UV-A is, but UV and black light are the same thing. Anyway, I had this one recommended to me and it works well. And the price is right, at only $7.99. You don't have to spend much on a black light, I reckon.

I'm thinking of this light.

clickable text
Post 9 IP   flag post
596795 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?