Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden AgeComics Silver AgeSignatures

Stan Lee Signature Advice5324

Collector HammitChris private msg quote post Address this user
Hey everyone, I have 5 books that I’ve narrowed it down to to get a witnessed CGC or CBCS signature from Stan the Man. He wrote the stories in all 5 of these books. Which book do you all think would be the best one to get signed and where on the book? I know I could get a super hero one signed, but I love collecting some of the more obscure titles and characters. I’m just trying to get advice from people in the community who likely have Stan signed books. Thanks!
Millie the Model #93 (1959)
Homer the Happy Ghost #1 (1956)
Homer the Happy Ghost #13 (1957)
A Date With Millie #4 (1959)
A Date With Millie #1 (1959)

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
My choice would be the Millie 93, just for the cover alone. Do you have the time/funds for pressing?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABitEvil
My choice would be the Millie 93, just for the cover alone. Do you have the time/funds for pressing?

Yeah, I'm going to have that book pressed either way. It was my first candidate for a book for him to sign, but I recently got these other books too and I'm having a hard time deciding. It will be a mail-in CGC witnessing most likely, so I'll have to make a cut out window/box. I've heard some stories about Stan signing in weird places, so I definitely want a box window. My only concern with the Millie #93 is that the best place to sign it is to the right of the date stamp and a box would be small in that area. I'm afraid they'll take the book out and he'll sign in a bad place.
Post 3 IP   flag post
When he signed my X-Men #9 he signed right on the cover stamp, it wasn't a date stamp though.

Otherwise the Date With Millie #1 would be my second choice. The ghost ones just trigger my hatred of Casper the Friendly Ghost comics.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
When he signed my X-Men #9 he signed right on the cover stamp, it wasn't a date stamp though.

Nice man! I actually like that you can see the date stamp on the Millie #93. I love date stamps if they are placed in a good spot. I think it makes some of the older books look cooler.
Post 5 IP   flag post
I think if the book is 9.0 or lower already a date stamp doesn't affect the grade either.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Man, those are some great books Hammitchris. And I like getting Stan's signatures on books he hasn't signed a bunch of times.

I'd lean more to A Date With Millie 1.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Man, those are some great books Hammitchris. And I like getting Stan's signatures on books he hasn't signed a bunch of times.

Thanks! I love finding his more obscure works. Just out of curiosity, what makes you lean towards A Date With Millie #1?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Wow that Millie 93 looks pedigree quality. I would go with the Date with Millie #1 to get signed, just because its a #1.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Why do signatures not go on the splash anymore? So much better imo.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog

I guess it is just a matter of preference and with people wanting their books slabbed now, most get their books signed on the covers. I saw a suggestion that eta nick made in one of his YouTube videos. He suggested that the grading companies superimpose or add a HD image of the signature on the splash page to the label of slabbed books. I thought that is a good idea and would offer a nice balance for those who prefer to have the splash page signed AND slab their books.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by doog

My answer is a variation of what HammitChris said. Once a book is slabbed you can only see the front and back covers
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HammitChris
Quote:

Thanks! I love finding his more obscure works. Just out of curiosity, what makes you lean towards A Date With Millie #1?

No strong reason. Just a leaning. Probably because it's a first issue. I believe this is the 1959 edition?

Regardless, the CGC census doesn't show A Date With Millie 1 or Millie the Model 93 having any slabbed signature series books and only a few slabbed copies period
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, I'm going to have that book pressed either way. It was my first candidate for a book for him to sign, but I recently got these other books too and I'm having a hard time deciding. It will be a mail-in CGC witnessing most likely, so I'll have to make a cut out window/box. I've heard some stories about Stan signing in weird places, so I definitely want a box window. My only concern with the Millie #93 is that the best place to sign it is to the right of the date stamp and a box would be small in that area. I'm afraid they'll take the book out and he'll sign in a bad place.

Definite Millie 93 or 1. Tough choice. I'd go with the one you like better or feel is a better display item after you've made the choice of where the sig can go.

Trinity seems to get Stan Lee private signings often. You can contact him about his process about the risk of Stan taking the comic out and signing wherever. I think he'll ensure he will not allow that unless he can't sign it in the window provided...just make sure it's big enough...trinity can probably offer some advice on that.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Homer the Happy ghost? Is that a knock-off of Casper? I'm too lazy to look it up, and also maybe others might be curious so in asking here.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Homer the Happy ghost? Is that a knock-off of Casper? I'm too lazy to look it up, and also maybe others might be curious so in asking here.

Yes, it is lol! That was back when Dan DeCarlo was at Atlas/Marvel before he went to Archie Comics and drew the Archie characters that he is most famous for. His time at Atlas/Marvel allowed him to hone his craft more on titles like "Homer the Happy Ghost" and "Millie the Model," similar to the way Stan Lee was improving his story telling on these titles. Interestingly enough, in Homer the Happy Ghost issue #3 (1955), he encounters some pirates, with one wearing an eye patch, and the pirate's name is Hawkeye. This predates the Avenger Hawkeye's first appearance in Marvel (1964), so I'm wondering if Stan thought of that name during his time working on Homer and then just recycled it when he created Hawkeye the Avenger?

http://www.toonopedia.com/homer.htm

http://www.bigblogcomics.com/2010/04/homer-happy-ghost-no-3-july-1955.html

Post 16 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Find an x-men or spider-man book brah
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke

You know I thought about that, but I also like these obscure works that he did. There are also a ton of Spider-Man and X-Men signed books out there.
Post 18 IP   flag post
You saw what @IronMan wrote about the census, no signature series listed on either of those Millie books, you know your a badass collector when you've got the only one.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
You saw what @IronMan wrote about the census, no signature series listed on either of those Millie books, you know your a badass collector when you've got the only one.

Haha, very true! I've also been looking at some of Stan's work in western books too. I like all different genres of comics...not just super heroes. I also like having a unique item.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector obiwan1971 private msg quote post Address this user
I’ll be seeing Stan in April and I’m approved for yellow label if you need someone
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:

NOOOOOOOO
Post 22 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

That is a good point. I typically seek rarity and one-of-a-kind items myself.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

NOOOOOOOO

@IronMan any chance you can get your nephew on the forums? That'd be really cool!
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

You know I thought about that, but I also like these obscure works that he did. There are also a ton of Spider-Man and X-Men signed books out there.

This. I have maybe 6-8 Stan signed books. Half are his mainstream super hero books. The other half are less common books. Pre Hero sci fi and then this book...

Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

NOOOOOOOO

@IronMan any chance you can get your nephew on the forums? That'd be really cool!

Probably not. I'm a semi-retired work from home old guy. I have a bit of time to spend on chat boards. Kyle's a family guy with young'uns at home and deadlines to meet. He does do a good number of comic conventions now. His sketch covers are great and very popular. We sent in a several recently for CBCS certification. Here's one of them.

Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This. I have maybe 6-8 Stan signed books. Half are his mainstream super hero books. The other half are less common books. Pre Hero sci fi and then this book...

Label says "Stan Lee Photo cover"...does that mean that is Stan behind the black mask?!
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Label says "Stan Lee Photo cover"...does that mean that is Stan behind the black mask?!

Yes, I'm pretty sure that is him. Overstreet notes it as a Stan Lee photo cover too. Very cool!
Post 28 IP   flag post
Badass!
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Badass!

Apparently the books aren't cheap. There is one on eBay right now at auction over $100
Post 30 IP   flag post
601503 42 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?