Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Restoration and ConservationComics Silver Age

Restored Books5316

I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Darrin, in your last photo, it looks to me like a red marker was used along the spine about five or six times to hide some stress marks.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
ah...yes...I see it I expected it to stand out brightly. I also suspect the same was done for the purple. If that's all that exists...can it be removed with ease and at a reasonable cost?
Post 52 IP   flag post
and I assume they would have to locate and remove it all no matter the amount or it'd still come back purple..right?
Post 53 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
You would have to talk to someone in that field. Unless it was a relatively easy fix [which it never is, at least for me) I would just accept the fact that there’s color touch and either keep the book the way it is or get rid of it (sell or trade). I remember seeing a key SA book for sale that someone scrapped all the color touched areas off. It looked terrible - like a mouse had chewed off pieces of the cover. But it had the Blue label.
Personally, I think as prices on older books increase, there will be more of a willingness for some collectors, especially newer collectors, to purchase restored books. I have seen numerous restored GA comics and SA keys sell in auctions at prices that are in the range of 50% or more compared to unrestored copies.
Post 54 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
A straight 8 costs about $900-$1000

How much are you willing to put into this book to get it to a Universal 5.0?
Post 55 IP   flag post

@conditionfreak....not a cent. But if it stays an 8 or the other flaws are bends and a press keeps it an 8, then a couple hundred bucks to remove color touch, press and re-grade/ship may be worth it.

IF it can all be done for a couple hundred..and done right .
Post 56 IP   flag post
596795 56 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?