Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
QuestionsSignatures

Best investment5310

Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicnewbie
So patience is what your preaching there. Very good advice I think.
Yes, patience is important. To a lot of us collector's, we are in it for the long haul. For me, I know there will always be more comic book shows in the future. There are times that I have gone to a show or LCS looking for older books and have not purchased a single book. If I do not really like what I see, I will wait for another day. I do not buy too many books on line, however the opportunities are endless.
Post 151 IP   flag post
Collector Comicnewbie private msg quote post Address this user
I have a - gotta have personality. I fear that my son will get that from me. I had to have as many of TWD #100 variant covers as I could get. So I did. Something like 14. My son loves them but he only looks at em bc they are all slabbed. I'm sure they probably won't increase in value, most likely drop from what I'm hearing now, but as long as he wants them then it's all good.
Post 152 IP   flag post
Sorry, just looked...I have 16 variant covers
Post 153 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Sorry, just looked...I have 16 variant covers
Sounds like fun chasing all the different varients.
Post 154 IP   flag post
Collector jaeldubyoo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Star Wars #1 went on sale in April 1977, over a month before the film came out.

One would have to have had access to a distributor to get 150 copies at that point, because few newsstands were going to carry that many copies of an individual comic...it would have to have been a monstrous newsstand...or one would have had to have access to multiple newsstands in perhaps a very large city like NY. "Special order" would have been essentially unheard of at that point.

In April, the public was getting excited about the movie, but it hadn't reached the fever pitch it would after the film's release on May 25. Movie adaptations weren't new, even then, although they were new for Marvel. By the time the film came out, however, the book was GONE, sold out, kaput. Buyers ran to the newsstands to scoop up any copies that remained, if any remained by then.

While "#1s" were the thing to buy in the late 70's, you weren't seeing people buy hundreds of copies of any one issue, unless they were dealers with storefronts. Not that it didn't happen...but if you had 10-20 people nationwide buying 100+ copies of anything, that would be pretty astonishing. And a completely unknown, untested quantity like a movie adaptation, based on characters and a story no one had ever heard of...?

That's one of the reasons why the book was $10 by the end of summer: the demand far outstripped the supply, even as the reprints started showing up in July and August.

Not saying the story isn't true, but...doesn't seem likely.

Back then there were a lot of small distributors. There were many ads in The Buyer's Guide advertising multiple issues of comics for less than cover price. I also "invested" in Star Wars #1. Unfortunately, I had to buy them in the after-market for 50¢ each. I saw the Star Wars movie and was so excited about it I bought 5o copies. This was several months after the comic had come out. I did buy multiple issues of 2-6 at less than cover price. I wished I held on to them. I gave away most of them that year to family and friends. I've sold a few over the years, but still have a few.
Post 155 IP   flag post

@BrianGreensnips it didn't suck to be honest. Does anybody have an info on why/if TWD books are beginning to drop? Loss of interest in the show?
Post 156 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeldubyoo
Quote:

One would have to have had access to a distributor to get 150 copies at that point, because few newsstands were going to carry that many copies of an individual comic...it would have to have been a monstrous newsstand...or one would have had to have access to multiple newsstands in perhaps a very large city like NY. "Special order" would have been essentially unheard of at that point.

In April, the public was getting excited about the movie, but it hadn't reached the fever pitch it would after the film's release on May 25. Movie adaptations weren't new, even then, although they were new for Marvel. By the time the film came out, however, the book was GONE, sold out, kaput. Buyers ran to the newsstands to scoop up any copies that remained, if any remained by then.

While "#1s" were the thing to buy in the late 70's, you weren't seeing people buy hundreds of copies of any one issue, unless they were dealers with storefronts. Not that it didn't happen...but if you had 10-20 people nationwide buying 100+ copies of anything, that would be pretty astonishing. And a completely unknown, untested quantity like a movie adaptation, based on characters and a story no one had ever heard of...?

That's one of the reasons why the book was $10 by the end of summer: the demand far outstripped the supply, even as the reprints started showing up in July and August.

Back then there were a lot of small distributors. There were many ads in The Buyer's Guide advertising multiple issues of comics for less than cover price. I also "invested" in Star Wars #1. Unfortunately, I had to buy them in the after-market for 50¢ each. I saw the Star Wars movie and was so excited about it I bought 5o copies. This was several months after the comic had come out. I did buy multiple issues of 2-6 at less than cover price. I wished I held on to them. I gave away most of them that year to family and friends. I've sold a few over the years, but still have a few.

Hi JLW. Nice to see you again. There were a lot of small distributors, like Bud Plant, Seuling's Seagate, and the Schanes' brothers Pacific Comics, among others. TBG would be access to a distributor that I was referring to. Your story is familiar; the prior story, for the reasons laid out, is suspect. Not that it wasn't possible...but unlikely.

What was the source you used to buy multiple copies of #2-6? Distributor, local store(s), newsstands, TBG? TBG only had a circulation of ten thousand in 1977, so its readers were mostly diehard comics fans. And, after all, even by 1977, there were only a couple of hundred comic stores in the entire nation...NY, LA, and SF could boast 4-5, but this was long before the era where stores existed on every other strip mall, as they did in 1993.

Someday, I would love to write a comprehensive history of the comic collecting market. What I wouldn't give to interview Phil Seuling.

Do you have your copies of TBG from that time period? Can you find any ads for Star Wars #1 for less than cover price in bulk? I would be surprised if you could, but not completely.
Post 157 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
@IronMan Don't forget Ms Marvel.

If one would of invested in 100 copies of Ms Marvel #1 in 1977 $30.00, than took them back to a comic store to capitalize on his investment in 1979. Since we are talking "investing", one could not of sold them to other collectors, because thats a "job" of a dealer. I would feel the likely answer the shop owner said, sorry we can't use those, already have them in boxes in the back room.

I was unaware that we were talking about "investing" in comic books for two years. All of my discussions have been over a 40 year period.

There have been two year periods of time when even blue chip stocks fell in value.
Post 158 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by docstrange
When Star Wars came out in 1977 I bought 150 copies of #1 at .30c apiece
2 years later I sold 140 copies to 1 guy for $2 apiece did I make good money yes I did at the time 7.5X my money Should I have hung on 40 years Hell YA
Post 159 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
@conditionfreak I guess you have a point...even unpopular characters make a come back. Take Jason Todd...no..really..take Jason Todd.
Fans voted to off the little kid but 30yrs later he's back - that's not right.
Only reason I didn't make the call to off him was my parents wouldn't let me.

First of all, it is rumored one caller had an automated dialer and single handedly swung the total vote in the favor of his death. But that's DC fault for not limiting one vote per number. Secondly, he didn't really come back as the same character...he really is the red hood, a much better and more interesting character. Most resurrections restore the character back to their boring selves making you wonder "what was the point?"

Aside from Captain Mar vell, and Bucky Barnes, I'm not sure a main/supporting regular character has been dead longer than Jason Todd in the marvel/DC universes...but I could be wrong....so 30 years before being "resurrected" is actually unheard of these days in the Marvel/DC universes.
Post 160 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Hi all. Original starter of this thread here. Not sure if that's good or bad lol. I wanted to get some opinions on ASM 43 CGC 8.5 offered for $200. Good deal? My buddy who I've been telling him about this saga, saw it and wants it. He is an ASM fan according to him. Thanks.

Checked out eBay sales and go gocollect.com (average about $200 last 16 sales). Recent bid auctions have it for slightly less...buy it nows about $250. If it's white pages seems a good deal. If it's off white then you might do better to wait for a bidding auction to come up...
Post 161 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user

Post 162 IP   flag post
Question. She Hulk #1 CGC 9.8 worth owning at $195. Not looking to overpay obviously.
Post 163 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:
Hi all. Original starter of this thread here. Not sure if that's good or bad lol. I wanted to get some opinions on ASM 43 CGC 8.5 offered for $200. Good deal? My buddy who I've been telling him about this saga, saw it and wants it. He is an ASM fan according to him. Thanks.

Checked out eBay sales and go gocollect.com (average about $200 last 16 sales). Recent bid auctions have it for slightly less...buy it nows about $250. If it's white pages seems a good deal. If it's off white then you might do better to wait for a bidding auction to come up...

It's OW-W. Good?
Post 164 IP   flag post
Collector jaeldubyoo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeldubyoo
Quote:

Hi JLW. Nice to see you again. There were a lot of small distributors, like Bud Plant, Seuling's Seagate, and the Schanes' brothers Pacific Comics, among others. TBG would be access to a distributor that I was referring to. Your story is familiar; the prior story, for the reasons laid out, is suspect. Not that it wasn't possible...but unlikely.

What was the source you used to buy multiple copies of #2-6? Distributor, local store(s), newsstands, TBG? TBG only had a circulation of ten thousand in 1977, so its readers were mostly diehard comics fans. And, after all, even by 1977, there were only a couple of hundred comic stores in the entire nation...NY, LA, and SF could boast 4-5, but this was long before the era where stores existed on every other strip mall, as they did in 1993.

Someday, I would love to write a comprehensive history of the comic collecting market. What I wouldn't give to interview Phil Seuling.

Do you have your copies of TBG from that time period? Can you find any ads for Star Wars #1 for less than cover price in bulk? I would be surprised if you could, but not completely.

I wished I had kept my TBGs. I usually don't throw away anything related to comics. Sadly, I threw them all out years ago.

You're asking about events nearly 40 years ago. My memory is fuzzy on the details. I don't remember who I ordered from. It's possible that I ordered from one of the "sub-distributors" that proliferated during that era. Back then, if you were so inclined, you could get multiple copies of most books at less than cover price, except for the hottest. Ah, if only I knew then what I know now. Coulda, woulda, shoulda.
Post 165 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
She-hulk is one of my bets on an undervalued comic, so if I am right, a 9.8 for $200 is worth putting in the investment pile (I have one) however if you just intend to hold for 2 years, and not hold a wide variety of keys, you are a flipper, not an investor in my opinion. I shot for a ten year window, 30 is better yet, but 70 year old Tarzan’s aren’t worth crap, except the earliest ones, and still not huge, so spread a wide net
Post 166 IP   flag post
@doog

Post 167 IP   flag post
@doog how’s that for raw?
Post 168 IP   flag post
Or do I spend about $85 more to get a 9.8
Post 169 IP   flag post
Collector ThorneArt private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

I would spend the extra for the guaranteed grade. IMHO
Post 170 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorneArt
Quote:

I would spend the extra for the guaranteed grade. IMHO

Agreed. You still have to pay to grade it, not to mention probably press it, plus shipping. Even then, you're rolling the dice you'll get a 9.6.
Post 171 IP   flag post
Thanks to the both of you
Post 172 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

There is a big drop off in value from 9.8 to 9.6 so you would be rolling the dice getting it raw.
Post 173 IP   flag post
I purchased the She Hulk #1 CGC 9.8 for $170. Hope that was good 😀
Post 174 IP   flag post
I'd say that was a good pull.
Post 175 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I purchased the She Hulk #1 CGC 9.8 for $170. Hope that was good 😀

What is your definition of "good"?
Post 176 IP   flag post
Not an overpay as I am seemingly accustomed to doing would be good
Post 177 IP   flag post
Here is another this or that question. This.... Omega Men #3 CGC 9.8 or
This.... Wolverine Limited #1 CGC 9.8
Post 178 IP   flag post
Six month average is $194 on She Hulk 1 in 9.8.
Post 179 IP   flag post
Ok so not bad but not a steal. Believe me at this stage I will take a ...not bad
Post 180 IP   flag post
598013 212 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?