Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
QuestionsSignatures

Best investment5310

Collector docstrange private msg quote post Address this user
When Star Wars came out in 1977 I bought 150 copies of #1 at .30c apiece
2 years later I sold 140 copies to 1 guy for $2 apiece did I make good money yes I did at the time 7.5X my money Should I have hung on 40 years Hell YA
Post 126 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by docstrange
2 years later I sold 140 copies to 1 guy for $2 apiece did I make good money yes I did at the time 7.5X my money Should I have hung on 40 years Hell YA

Nice story on your 150 Star Wars #1 investment in 1977. During the year of 1977, did you buy any additional comics other than the 150 copies of Star Wars #1. Reason I ask, see rule #1.
Post 127 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer
Quote:

Nice story on your 150 Star Wars #1 investment in 1977. During the year of 1977, did you buy any additional comics other than the 150 copies of Star Wars #1. Reason I ask, see rule #1.

Since I'm old I was buying comics in 1977 and knew lots of collectors that were buying comics. Direct Distribution was just really getting started. The local comic book store - only open a few years - was just starting to get comics direct then. A lot of collectors were getting 5-10 copies of new first issues and then a couple of copies each of 2-10 of new titles. 150 would have been uncommon LOL.

Can you think of a first issue from 1977 that you'd hate being stuck with a dozen copies of? I'm having trouble. I mean there are lots of first issues from 1976-78 that would have done well. Black Panther, Nova, Firestorm, What If, Spectacular Spider-Man.
Post 128 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@IronMan Don't forget Ms Marvel.
Post 129 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Quote:
Quote:

Since I'm old I was buying comics in 1977 and knew lots of collectors that were buying comics. Direct Distribution was just really getting started. The local comic book store - only open a few years - was just starting to get comics direct then. A lot of collectors were getting 5-10 copies of new first issues and then a couple of copies each of 2-10 of new titles. 150 would have been uncommon LOL.

Can you think of a first issue from 1977 that you'd hate being stuck with a dozen copies of? I'm having trouble. I mean there are lots of first issues from 1976-78 that would have done well. Black Panther, Nova, Firestorm, What If, Spectacular Spider-Man.

Selling comics in 1979 that were purchased in 1977, difficult to put numbers on specific books at those times. Other #1 could of held there cover price, but how many bought 2,3,4,5 and so on of the runs. How much demand existed in 1979 on those run books. You can't talk about specific winners without talking about the entire portfolio of comic purchases as an investment.
Post 130 IP   flag post

Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Star Wars #1 went on sale in April 1977, over a month before the film came out.

One would have to have had access to a distributor to get 150 copies at that point, because few newsstands were going to carry that many copies of an individual comic...it would have to have been a monstrous newsstand...or one would have had to have access to multiple newsstands in perhaps a very large city like NY. "Special order" would have been essentially unheard of at that point.

In April, the public was getting excited about the movie, but it hadn't reached the fever pitch it would after the film's release on May 25. Movie adaptations weren't new, even then, although they were new for Marvel. By the time the film came out, however, the book was GONE, sold out, kaput. Buyers ran to the newsstands to scoop up any copies that remained, if any remained by then.

While "#1s" were the thing to buy in the late 70's, you weren't seeing people buy hundreds of copies of any one issue, unless they were dealers with storefronts. Not that it didn't happen...but if you had 10-20 people nationwide buying 100+ copies of anything, that would be pretty astonishing. And a completely unknown, untested quantity like a movie adaptation, based on characters and a story no one had ever heard of...?

That's one of the reasons why the book was $10 by the end of summer: the demand far outstripped the supply, even as the reprints started showing up in July and August.

Not saying the story isn't true, but...doesn't seem likely.
Post 131 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Quote:
Quote:

Yes. All of them.

With the exception of Star Wars and Howard the Duck, none of those books saw an immediate return (unless you were a dealer), and most of those books...even Star Wars...ended up in the dollar bins at some point. Nova was a dud, Ms. Marvel was a dud, Spectacular Spiderman was a dud, and forget Machine Man, Devil Dinosaur, Black Panther, Human Fly, Man Thing, Red Sonja, on and on and on. Lots of wildly overprinted, wildly overcollected duds that have only just recently...only with the passage of nearly 40 years...begun to have any sort of value on the market.

I picked up 30 copies of Spect Spiderman #1 for 25 cents a copy...from someone who had them from his store, who had bought those from another store, 20 years previously...in 2013 or thereabouts.
Post 132 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
@IronMan Don't forget Ms Marvel.

If one would of invested in 100 copies of Ms Marvel #1 in 1977 $30.00, than took them back to a comic store to capitalize on his investment in 1979. Since we are talking "investing", one could not of sold them to other collectors, because thats a "job" of a dealer. I would feel the likely answer the shop owner said, sorry we can't use those, already have them in boxes in the back room.
Post 133 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
I feel sick....I broke down and got a copy of Teen Titans 12 (and not to get a better copy of my 1966 run), the new one, with the S&M Batman that everyone is going crazy over, that will probably never be used again once this series is over with. Not for investing but because I don't want to miss out on a new character that I don't really care about

Only paid $15 - says NM - we'll see when it gets here.....

I can see my Teen Titans box from where I'm sitting...should just go see what #'s I need better copies of and forget these new comics (have whole TT run from BB54 through to New TT 1984 #1 plus odds and ends from 84 on - should just fill in those gaps).

Lets see in a few years if this is a keeper or just for the bottom of the bird cage - at least I didn't overpay too much
Post 134 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKomics
I feel sick....I broke down and got a copy of Teen Titans 12 (and not to get a better copy of my 1966 run), the new one, with the S&M Batman that everyone is going crazy over, that will probably never be used again once this series is over with. Not for investing but because I don't want to miss out on a new character that I don't really care about

Only paid $15 - says NM - we'll see when it gets here.....

I can see my Teen Titans box from where I'm sitting...should just go see what #'s I need better copies of and forget these new comics (have whole TT run from BB54 through to New TT 1984 #1 plus odds and ends from 84 on - should just fill in those gaps).

Lets see in a few years if this is a keeper or just for the bottom of the bird cage - at least I didn't overpay too much

You did alright, assuming it does come in at 9.4 or better. I saw a 9.8 CGC copy went for over $200 on the bay.

Even if DC was thinking about canning or shelving the character, the hype around him is too much to ignore...regardless of what happens in Metal from here on out, he'll be back. Likely they'll do the Marvel thing (popular strategy from the 90s) and completely wear him out with cross overs and appearances in comics that need a sales boost...

I actually pre-ordered the 2nd print because it could have some future value as well, being a lower print run...I'm not sure how many shops actually ordered too many of the 2nd print...could be a hot potential quick flip this week...
Post 135 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
@KatKomics And if you're getting nauseous, send me a PM and I'll be glad to take it off your hands for what you paid (if it's NM).
Post 136 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
What was the last popular character that just disappeared and was never seen again, and again, and again?
Post 137 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
What was the last popular character that just disappeared and was never seen again, and again, and again?

That's a tough one...I've already forgotten them...Sentry maybe?? Anything Malibu Press related(ha!!-just kidding...they were pretty forgettable from day one!)
Post 138 IP   flag post
@conditionfreak I guess you have a point...even unpopular characters make a come back. Take Jason Todd...no..really..take Jason Todd.
Fans voted to off the little kid but 30yrs later he's back - that's not right.
Only reason I didn't make the call to off him was my parents wouldn't let me.
Post 139 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak

Darth Lego
Post 140 IP   flag post

Post 141 IP   flag post
Collector Comicnewbie private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all. Original starter of this thread here. Not sure if that's good or bad lol. I wanted to get some opinions on ASM 43 CGC 8.5 offered for $200. Good deal? My buddy who I've been telling him about this saga, saw it and wants it. He is an ASM fan according to him. Thanks.
Post 142 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicnewbie
Hi all. Original starter of this thread here. Not sure if that's good or bad lol. I wanted to get some opinions on ASM 43 CGC 8.5 offered for $200. Good deal? My buddy who I've been telling him about this saga, saw it and wants it. He is an ASM fan according to him. Thanks.

Looks like an appropriate amount for that book - anything special about it?? for similar $$ issue 45 or 47 have early Lizard and Kraven respectively.
Post 143 IP   flag post
He loves him some MJ.
Post 144 IP   flag post
Quote:
He loves him some MJ.
Good Enough!!!
Post 145 IP   flag post
It was a book I considered but I think I was talked out of earlier in this thread. Being told The only ones "worth" owning in the Bronze Age were ASM 129 and Hulk 181. While I like ASM I can't pull the trigger on the grade I want in that book.
Post 146 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I will almost guarantee you you buy that 8.5 for $200, you will see a 9.2 on EBay go at auction for $200. Unless it’s a rare book, I generally have a group of books on eBay I am looking for, I save those books, and pounce when the luck hits
Post 147 IP   flag post
So patience is what your preaching there. Very good advice I think.
Post 148 IP   flag post
the save search function on ebay is very nice...can wait out for the right one to come along
Post 149 IP   flag post
Another lesson learned but at least this one didn't cost me money
Post 150 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
So patience is what your preaching there. Very good advice I think.
Yes, patience is important. To a lot of us collector's, we are in it for the long haul. For me, I know there will always be more comic book shows in the future. There are times that I have gone to a show or LCS looking for older books and have not purchased a single book. If I do not really like what I see, I will wait for another day. I do not buy too many books on line, however the opportunities are endless.
Post 151 IP   flag post
I have a - gotta have personality. I fear that my son will get that from me. I had to have as many of TWD #100 variant covers as I could get. So I did. Something like 14. My son loves them but he only looks at em bc they are all slabbed. I'm sure they probably won't increase in value, most likely drop from what I'm hearing now, but as long as he wants them then it's all good.
Post 152 IP   flag post
Sorry, just looked...I have 16 variant covers
Post 153 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Sorry, just looked...I have 16 variant covers
Sounds like fun chasing all the different varients.
Post 154 IP   flag post
Collector jaeldubyoo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Star Wars #1 went on sale in April 1977, over a month before the film came out.

One would have to have had access to a distributor to get 150 copies at that point, because few newsstands were going to carry that many copies of an individual comic...it would have to have been a monstrous newsstand...or one would have had to have access to multiple newsstands in perhaps a very large city like NY. "Special order" would have been essentially unheard of at that point.

In April, the public was getting excited about the movie, but it hadn't reached the fever pitch it would after the film's release on May 25. Movie adaptations weren't new, even then, although they were new for Marvel. By the time the film came out, however, the book was GONE, sold out, kaput. Buyers ran to the newsstands to scoop up any copies that remained, if any remained by then.

While "#1s" were the thing to buy in the late 70's, you weren't seeing people buy hundreds of copies of any one issue, unless they were dealers with storefronts. Not that it didn't happen...but if you had 10-20 people nationwide buying 100+ copies of anything, that would be pretty astonishing. And a completely unknown, untested quantity like a movie adaptation, based on characters and a story no one had ever heard of...?

That's one of the reasons why the book was $10 by the end of summer: the demand far outstripped the supply, even as the reprints started showing up in July and August.

Not saying the story isn't true, but...doesn't seem likely.

Back then there were a lot of small distributors. There were many ads in The Buyer's Guide advertising multiple issues of comics for less than cover price. I also "invested" in Star Wars #1. Unfortunately, I had to buy them in the after-market for 50¢ each. I saw the Star Wars movie and was so excited about it I bought 5o copies. This was several months after the comic had come out. I did buy multiple issues of 2-6 at less than cover price. I wished I held on to them. I gave away most of them that year to family and friends. I've sold a few over the years, but still have a few.
Post 155 IP   flag post
601504 212 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?