Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
QuestionsSignatures

Best investment5310

Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
This is getting silly. Whether or not I sell even one comic book. I would have the same computer, the same internet service, and my swivel chair.

I like you. But you really should think twice and type once.

This...

And this is why the IRS won't let you deduct the cost of your computer, internet and chair on a home based business. Unless those things are ONLY used for the business and nothing else, they assume you'd have internet, a computer a few chairs in your house anyway.
Post 101 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
This thread is awesome BTW. I'm jealous. I rarely start threads. But when I do they rarely go past a page. Some newbie comes in and asks a question and 100 posts later it's still going strong. It ain't fair I'm telling you.
Post 102 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
This thread is awesome BTW. I'm jealous. I rarely start threads. But when I do they rarely go past a page. Some newbie comes in and asks a question and 100 posts later it's still going strong. It ain't fair I'm telling you.

I promise the next time you start a thread, I will get into a long "discussion" with someone. It's easy to find a sparing partner around here.
Post 103 IP   flag post
Collector Comicnewbie private msg quote post Address this user
@IronMan Sorry my friend. I had no idea this would happen. BTW, Thread lessons tomorrow at 1pm eastern lol
Post 104 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
This is getting silly. Whether or not I sell even one comic book. I would have the same computer, the same internet service, and my swivel chair.

This...

And this is why the IRS won't let you deduct the cost of your computer, internet and chair on a home based business. Unless those things are ONLY used for the business and nothing else, they assume you'd have internet, a computer a few chairs in your house anyway.

These are both very disingenuous responses to what Homer wrote...and conditionfreak's, as usual, is contemptuous and insulting.

Why don't you respond to Homer's entire post?
Post 105 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Quote:
Quote:

This...

These are both very disingenuous responses to what Homer wrote...and conditionfreak's, as usual, is contemptuous and insulting.

I liked you better when you were asleep, and quiet.

What more do you want me to respond to? That I have to provide where I got my four dollars in the first place? That my cost for a four dollar comic book is FOUR DOLLARS? That I have to have car insurance whether or not I sell comics books or not? That I don't invest in labor unless I have employees? That I purchase fuel to go places and heat my home? That I only use underwear because I sell comic books? That my time is worth something (yet here I am schooling you without any payment whatsoever)?

I mean seriously. Are you drunk? Because I refuse to accept you are that ignorant. I have read your walls of text and believe you to be quite intelligent normally.

But not tonight.
Post 106 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
This has been a great thread, lots of interesting posts. However very few people actually make money investing in comic books, also very few people are capable of turning a profit solely selling vintage comic books. Its difficult for many to understand the true cost of acquiring inventory as an investment, or inventory to resell. Its also difficult for many to understand the true costs of acquiring a customer when you get to the point of actually depositing real money into the bank.
Post 107 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This...

What more do you want me to respond to? That I have to provide where I got my four dollars in the first place? That my cost for a four dollar comic book is FOUR DOLLARS? That I have to have car insurance whether or not I sell comics books or not? That I don't invest in labor unless I have employees? That I purchase fuel to go places and heat my home? That I only use underwear because I sell comic books? That my time is worth something (yet here I am schooling you without any payment whatsoever)?

I mean seriously. Are you drunk? Because I refuse to accept you are that ignorant. I have read your walls of text and believe you to be quite intelligent normally.

But not tonight.

I hope that made you feel better. Are you going to answer Homer's entire post, or, as usual, are you going to dodge, weave, deflect, insult, and generally be an unpleasant human being? I'm not interested in being your "sparing" partner, but eventually, your nonsense has to be answered by someone.
Post 108 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@Comicnewbie Some other books that I think have room to grow are: Amazing.Spiderman#101 which is the first appearance of Morbius, Werewolf by Night #32 first app of Moon Knight, Nova#1, She Hulk #1, The first two have gotten pricey already but the other two I feel are still reasonable. These all have first app. of characters that can blow up with movie and tv shows. The covers all feature their first app.
Post 109 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer
This has been a great thread, lots of interesting posts. However very few people actually make money investing in comic books, also very few people are capable of turning a profit solely selling vintage comic books. Its difficult for many to understand the true cost of acquiring inventory as an investment, or inventory to resell. Its also difficult for many to understand the true costs of acquiring a customer when you get to the point of actually depositing real money into the bank.

And comparing the ABSOLUTELY BEST RESULTS ONE COULD EVER HAVE HOPED TO HAVE GOTTEN, EVER!!!!, with comics, with a typical investment in a typical fund is not even remotely reasonable.
Post 110 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
@Comicnewbie Some other books that I think have room to grow are: Amazing.Spiderman#101 which is the first appearance of Morbius, Werewolf by Night #32 first app of Moon Knight, Nova#1, She Hulk #1, The first two have gotten pricey already but the other two I feel are still reasonable. These all have first app. of characters that can blow up with movie and tv shows. The covers all feature their first app.

I like those, and I will add that I think the first appearance of Lobo (Omega Men #3) is vastly under valued. He is a major character and I think he destroyed just about EVERYONE in the New 52.

Never read any of those but read about them. I apologize if I got it wrong.
Post 111 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Here is the key for me, newbie, with my 6 year history, quadrupling my 10,000 original investment, and taking back out $5000. Everybody I know in the serious collector category, everybody who started in the 60’s to 80’s and did not flip, are not only millionaires based on their boxes of books. They also pay all their bills selling some of them. I am so jealous being a wage slave. It is fun seeing their rare, cool, high grade books when they feel like pulling out a collection box.
Post 112 IP   flag post
People are falling for smoke and mirrors when it comes to investing or dealers who buy and sell vintage comics appearing to be turning a profit.

#1 rule, never talk about your buying or investing mistakes
Post 113 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
I’ll talk about my mistakes. My original 10,000 was 15,000, but I messed up on my stock picks, so I decided to try something else. I still own real estate, stocks, art, but comics are the most fun for me. My only comic mistakes are when I do not buy keys, and get too cheap. Because I own several thousand books now, there are some losers, which are hugely overwhelmed by the winners. And I hold, mostly. The old timers that are still poor did not hold.
And for newbie, it’s something he and his son can have fun with together, like me and my son. Good times
Post 114 IP   flag post
Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This...

But not tonight.

I hope that made you feel better. Are you going to answer Homer's entire post, or, as usual, are you going to dodge, weave, deflect, insult, and generally be an unpleasant human being? I'm not interested in being your "sparing" partner, but eventually, your nonsense has to be answered by someone.

Doc. I think he is genuine. Don't scare him off. I still have $100,00 to invest. There is a guy who wants me to buy London Bridge but I would rather invest in @conditionfreak 's comic scheme.
Post 115 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Multiple 9.8 copies ASM 300 were selling in 2006 in the range of $1200.00-$1500.00, by 2012 the book fell out of flavor and were selling around $500.00-$600.00 that year. Back in flavor now getting $1800.00 and sometimes closer to $2,000.00 esp if newsstand.

Your guess is as good as mine on what it will go for five years from now. I would say at least a 50/50 it drops back down to around $1,000.00.

good investment, I say nah

I bought five Spidey 300s from my LCS when the book came out, my little brother bought one. When I finally got them graded I ended up with four 9.8s and one 9.6 (my brother's copy was also a 9.6). I ended up getting between $525 and $574 for the 9.8s. The 9.6s when off at $274 and $289. This was all in 2012. Seems my timing was off.
Post 116 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
It's not hard to make 100% profit on comic books. Many do it all of the time.

You buy a book new for $4.00 and you sell it a week later for $8.00

Piece of cake.

Of course not every new book. But a LOT OF THEM.

I did that with Saga # 1. I bought it for three dollars and sold it for eight dollars plus shipping. Boy do I feel like a genius now.
Post 117 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshade
Quote:
It's not hard to make 100% profit on comic books. Many do it all of the time.

You buy a book new for $4.00 and you sell it a week later for $8.00

Piece of cake.

Of course not every new book. But a LOT OF THEM.

Hey man I am so glad I found this site.
I have $100,000 to invest. I understand that you can double my money to $200,000 in a very short time. Where do I send my money?

Here is the link you want:

clickable text
Post 118 IP   flag post
Quote:
Because I refuse to accept you are that ignorant. I have read your walls of text and believe you to be quite intelligent normally.

Post 119 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
For some of us, comics are just entertainment. I buy comics, bag them, and set them in boxes. It's something tangible. What would I do for entertainment otherwise? Travel, dine extravagantly, go to a movie? I got back into comics when I was broke because I was able to get something out of my "investment" that I'd made when I was younger. Even if I just get a dollar out of something that cost me $4, that's a better use of my money than paying for a hotel stay out of town and having nothing to show for it later. If I dine extravagantly, the most I'll have later is fertilizer. As far as investments go, simply buying a comic that will retain it's value is better than going to a movie. My only real goal is to avoid buying comics that I feel will be worthless in a year.
Post 120 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
"Investment"? Only in the broadest sense of the word.

I'm in my mid-30's. I have (checks watch) another ~35 years before I can begin to consider retirement. Most of the guys I know from work who have retired, after a year or two, start going stir-crazy because they can only fish, camp, hunt, spend "quality time" with the significant other, etc., so many times before they need something productive to do! Basically, they need a break from retirement; so they either find new hobbies, or become couch potatoes.

No thanks. I'd prefer to stay engaged.

Opening a LCS isn't my idea of a get rich scheme, or even a day job replacement plan; its what I plan to do when I get done working for the greater glory and enrichment of "the shareholder." The books I'm buying now will be around 100 years old by the time I'm ready to start selling, which is kind of impressive, assuming I can keep them in fairly good shape for the duration. Even with books releasing now, I figure if I hold them for 30+ years, maybe something will turn up as "key", and I'll be able to put the grand or great-grand kids through college w/ that Rick & Morty #1, or ASM #1, or whatever the next big thing is.
Post 121 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
@BabaLament not me....I'm going to hold them till I die and then my family can sell them for pennies on the dollar....your idea sounds much better
Post 122 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
This might be my single best investment:

$72.00 Grading/Shipping and $ .10 Newsstand

OO

mm
Post 123 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:
Because I refuse to accept you are that ignorant. I have read your walls of text and believe you to be quite intelligent normally.

Keep your provocational comments and posts to yourself. You want to pick a fight with someone, do it somewhere else.
Post 124 IP   flag post
Quote:
People are falling for smoke and mirrors when it comes to investing or dealers who buy and sell vintage comics appearing to be turning a profit.

#1 rule, never talk about your buying or investing mistakes

Post 125 IP   flag post
Collector docstrange private msg quote post Address this user
When Star Wars came out in 1977 I bought 150 copies of #1 at .30c apiece
2 years later I sold 140 copies to 1 guy for $2 apiece did I make good money yes I did at the time 7.5X my money Should I have hung on 40 years Hell YA
Post 126 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by docstrange
2 years later I sold 140 copies to 1 guy for $2 apiece did I make good money yes I did at the time 7.5X my money Should I have hung on 40 years Hell YA

Nice story on your 150 Star Wars #1 investment in 1977. During the year of 1977, did you buy any additional comics other than the 150 copies of Star Wars #1. Reason I ask, see rule #1.
Post 127 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Nice story on your 150 Star Wars #1 investment in 1977. During the year of 1977, did you buy any additional comics other than the 150 copies of Star Wars #1. Reason I ask, see rule #1.

Since I'm old I was buying comics in 1977 and knew lots of collectors that were buying comics. Direct Distribution was just really getting started. The local comic book store - only open a few years - was just starting to get comics direct then. A lot of collectors were getting 5-10 copies of new first issues and then a couple of copies each of 2-10 of new titles. 150 would have been uncommon LOL.

Can you think of a first issue from 1977 that you'd hate being stuck with a dozen copies of? I'm having trouble. I mean there are lots of first issues from 1976-78 that would have done well. Black Panther, Nova, Firestorm, What If, Spectacular Spider-Man.
Post 128 IP   flag post
@IronMan Don't forget Ms Marvel.
Post 129 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Since I'm old I was buying comics in 1977 and knew lots of collectors that were buying comics. Direct Distribution was just really getting started. The local comic book store - only open a few years - was just starting to get comics direct then. A lot of collectors were getting 5-10 copies of new first issues and then a couple of copies each of 2-10 of new titles. 150 would have been uncommon LOL.

Can you think of a first issue from 1977 that you'd hate being stuck with a dozen copies of? I'm having trouble. I mean there are lots of first issues from 1976-78 that would have done well. Black Panther, Nova, Firestorm, What If, Spectacular Spider-Man.

Selling comics in 1979 that were purchased in 1977, difficult to put numbers on specific books at those times. Other #1 could of held there cover price, but how many bought 2,3,4,5 and so on of the runs. How much demand existed in 1979 on those run books. You can't talk about specific winners without talking about the entire portfolio of comic purchases as an investment.
Post 130 IP   flag post
597868 212 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?