Best investment5310

Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
https://www.investopedia.com/articles/markets/101415/4-best-sp-500-index-funds.asp

A great reference. The number 1 fund listed has had an average return of 11% for 40 years. But comics can be better still. Action Comics 1 (and Detective 27) have seen average returns of 16% during that time.

Let's also put that in perspective. Over a 40 year period, a relatively small difference in average return translates into a HUGE difference in the value of your investment. Action Comics 1 was I believe about 9,000 in 1976 in Mint. Now no mint copy is known to exist (the Mile High might be a 9.4 - has not been professionally graded.) The 9.0 sold for 3.2 million.

$9,0000 invested in 1976 in a fund returning 11% a year on average would be worth $585,000 40 years later. $9,000 invested in a 9.0 Action 1 in 9.0 40 years ago would be worth 3.2 million. It's "only" a five percent difference in annual returns. But it's 6x more money.

Is this unique to Action 1 / Detective Comics 27? No it is not. It applies to a lot of the major keys. Amazing Fantasy 15 for instance is approaches a staggering 20% annual return over 40 years. $900 becomes a million. That ASM 129 we are talking about? Overstreet had it a like a dollar in 1976. I was collecting comic books then. Overstreet was low, it was $10 book at any comic book store. At it's current NM price, that $10 has generated a 15% annual return. If you actually bought one for a buck? 22% annual return. Double the #1 index fund.

This is the reason that the very biggest books have become so expensive. Rich people are investing in them just like they invest in fine art.

There is nothing wrong with a quality index fund. It's how most rich people get richer and some middle class people become rich. But the point is that investing in collectibles - like comics - shouldn't be scoffed at. It should just be done with some common sense and caution. Buy quality stuff. Not hyped stuff

This, for several reasons.

Great post.

Wrong again, as usual.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Oh the guy who bought the Hulk 181 9.8 falling knife in 2013 at 7,601.00 is doing fine if he is still holding the book.

Buying falling knives can be painful also if you make a pattern out of it.
Post 77 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Comics are a great investment. Go for 1st appearances, so in this case a Spider-man 300. I started investing in them about 6 years ago. Bought 1st appearances, (mostly silver, mostly mid grade) got them graded, and then watch them appreciate. Your son can hang on to them, the flippers can’t, so the flip is more dangerous imo. Been a great investment vehicle for many years.
Post 78 IP   flag post
Collector docstrange private msg quote post Address this user
Had a chance when I was in San Diego for the comic con back in 1988 to buy some key books
a dealer had Action#1 Batman #1 Superman #1 Detective #27 and Captain America #1 the books were all in the Fine range and the dealer wanted $25,000 for the lot or $5,000 a piece. My girlfriend at the time who later became my wife had $25K in the bank and she was travelling overseas but I had access to her money
Wanted to buy 1 book for $5,000 but knew if I used her money our relationship would be toast.A friend who was with me bought the Detective #27 for $5K Would I be rich today if I would have bought any of the remaining books, YES. Would I be married still today(27 years) Hell NO
But its a great story I love to tell my kids and friends from time to time
Post 79 IP   flag post
Multiple 9.8 copies ASM 300 were selling in 2006 in the range of $1200.00-$1500.00, by 2012 the book fell out of flavor and were selling around $500.00-$600.00 that year. Back in flavor now getting $1800.00 and sometimes closer to $2,000.00 esp if newsstand.

Your guess is as good as mine on what it will go for five years from now. I would say at least a 50/50 it drops back down to around $1,000.00.

good investment, I say nah
Post 80 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by doog
I started investing in them about 6 years ago...Been a great investment vehicle for many years.

Post 81 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer
Multiple 9.8 copies ASM 300 were selling in 2006 in the range of $1200.00-$1500.00, by 2012 the book fell out of flavor and were selling around $500.00-$600.00 that year. Back in flavor now getting $1800.00 and sometimes closer to $2,000.00 esp if newsstand.

Your guess is as good as mine on what it will go for five years from now. I would say at least a 50/50 it drops back down to around $1,000.00.

good investment, I say nah

Too many are completely ignorant of the details. A fool and his money...
Post 82 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by docstrange
Had a chance when I was in San Diego for the comic con back in 1988 to buy some key books
a dealer had Action#1 Batman #1 Superman #1 Detective #27 and Captain America #1 the books were all in the Fine range and the dealer wanted $25,000 for the lot or $5,000 a piece. My girlfriend at the time who later became my wife had $25K in the bank and she was travelling overseas but I had access to her money
Wanted to buy 1 book for $5,000 but knew if I used her money our relationship would be toast.A friend who was with me bought the Detective #27 for $5K Would I be rich today if I would have bought any of the remaining books, YES. Would I be married still today(27 years) Hell NO
But its a great story I love to tell my kids and friends from time to time
[

OH only if one could go back in time. If you went back to the same date in 1988 and searched the stock market. Than decided to buy 5,000 shares of five dollar stocks yet to blow up in price, you could of hit the same jackpot 30 years later, if you never sold those stocks. Guess what, it would of been very very risky to buy that many shares of dollar stocks. Yet at times the chips do fall your way, but predicting those types of risks is virtually impossible.
Post 83 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
A 9.8 Hulk 181 sold for $22,500.00 in 2004, even with the dramatic upswing in value for Hulk 181 in 2017, 9.8 copies have sold between 15,000 with a high of 23,000.00.

By picking sales, that would be about a 14 year run with the most in demand bronze key with a negative return with regards to inflation.

Investing in comics is very, very risky. I can't repeat it enough, but its very risky.

Oh and someone sold there 9.8 copy in 2013 for a mere 7,601.00

You raise a valid point. But the analysis is off because of a lack of information. Slow and steady pays off. Not buying into hype pays off.

The first 4-5 years after CGC opened their doors, there was this MISTAKEN belief that 9.8's of key Late silver and bronze age books were going to be very, very rare. So you saw some crazy high prices paid for 9.8's of these types of books. Including the 22K for Hulk 181. But the reality was that CGC hadn't been in business that long. Once collectors saw those books selling for those prices in 9.8, collectors that had super nice copies started sending them in and cashing out.

If you want to look Hulk 181 in say 9.2 and 9.4 - or even 6.0 - you'll see a chart that has a steady, upward trajectory.

The market has settled down now some with 9.8's. After 18 years of professional grading, the hobby has a much better idea of just how scarce better than 9.4 copies of a key issue are.

I shouldn't have to point out that the person that picked up a Hulk 181 in 9.8 for $7K in 2013 got a great deal. That was a smart (or lucky) purchase.
Post 84 IP   flag post
If one would of invested $5,000 into shares of Amazon in 1997 at $1.48 a share. That $5,000.00 would be worth $4,391,891 today. Thats only twenty years, yet that stock did pull it off.

If you want to just pick, Action 1 40 years ago near mint, AF 15 30 years ago near mint. One could easily find dozens, if not hundreds of stocks who have outperformed those specific books at those specific times.
Post 85 IP   flag post
Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
If one would of

"Would HAVE".

I am really really sorry for being a grammar pedant here but I am in a very bad mood. No offence intended.
Post 86 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
In 1988 I lived in Cleveland. It was the 50th anniversary of the first appearance of Superman. A giant comic book convention was held at the Cleveland Convention Center downtown, billed as a 50th anniversary celebration because of the Seigel and Schuster notoriety of being Clevelanders. Their home on Amor avenue has a plaque identifying it.

It was the biggest Con I had seen before ever. The actors who originally played Jimmy Olsen and Lois Lane were in attendance.

I attended with my few dollar and enjoyed the experience immensely, but I did not have a lot of money in those days.

Anyway, at one point I was at a booth which had three or four copies of Superman #1 on the top shelf of their back wall. I was just standing there admiring the yellow history, knowing I didn't want to even get near them for fear of accidently damaging one and having to pay a lot of money.

I just stared for a time, dreaming.

The prices were under the books on the shelf and they ranged from 5K to 20K.

While I was standing there staring, an Asian man with a briefcase came up to the dealer and asked to see the Superman #1's. The seller told him only serious buyers were allowed to inspect them.

This Asian man calmly put his briefcase on top of the table books, opened it and turned it towards the dealer. I was the only other person at that booth at that time. I could see inside the case. It was filled with stacks of what appeared to be $100 dollar bills. The case was filled completely. I was in awe.

I watched as the gentleman went over the books and he chose two and negotiated a price. He got both for $16,000. Put them in his case and walked away.

I moved on, feeling very poor and insignificant in the big scheme of things. I think I bought an ASM #50 for eleven dollars and a couple of X-men books for a few dollars from other dealers.

It is a great memory.
Post 87 IP   flag post
Quote:

It's clear that some vintage comics have been and will continue to be excellent investments. Dazzler hasn't done so well, despite being a hyped and kinda a big deal when released.
BUY THE BEST BOOK YOU CAN AFFORD that has a proven long term track record of growth and desirability with collectors.
But when I think of other solid investments in Bronze Age books, I cannot think of any that are BETTER choices than ASM 129 and Hulk 181.

The guy who bought the best Hulk 181 9.8 copy in 2004 did not fare so well. Yes the copies in the fine to 9.2 range saw very solid returns. Even the goods to poor were better investments than the super high grade bronze.
Post 88 IP   flag post
Can that help my investments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshade
Quote:
If one would of

"Would HAVE".

I am really really sorry for being a grammar pedant here but I am in a very bad mood. No offence intended.
Post 89 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
That said, the old saying is "buy low and sell high". Right now, Venom is at an all-time high. Now is the time to be selling Venom books.

That's not to say there's no room for Venom books to grow. They absolutely can. But they're more likely to drop in the future.

It's truly unpredictable to be honest.

Venom books have already dropped. The time to sell them at their peak was a few months back.
Post 90 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
@Homer I completely agree. There have certainly been better investments than even the best comic books.

Amazon at $1.48 a share was a gamble. No one knew their business model would work. Apple was a steal around this time as well. It's impossible for the average person - and even professionals - to KNOW what stocks are going to blow up in price. So the wisest, safest way to invest in stocks is what Doc Brown posted up. Market index funds that build a portfolio that tracks the overall market. Or a segment of the market. As overall market goes up, so does your shares.

In 1997, purchasing $5000 worth of Marvel Super Heroes Winter Special (1st Squirrel Girl) and Batman Adventures 12 (1st Harley Quinn) would be - and pay off like - buying $5000 worth of Amazon. But all of these things are speculative.

Purchasing IBM would have paid off in 1997 And so would have purchasing Amazing Spider-Man 129 or Hulk 181. All were much safer, blue chip types of investments.
Post 91 IP   flag post
It's not hard to make 100% profit on comic books. Many do it all of the time.

You buy a book new for $4.00 and you sell it a week later for $8.00

Piece of cake.

Of course not every new book. But a LOT OF THEM.
Post 92 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Homer I completely agree. There have certainly been better investments than even the best comic books.

Amazon at $1.48 a share was a gamble. No one knew their business model would work. Apple was a steal around this time as well. It's impossible for the average person - and even professionals - to KNOW what stocks are going to blow up in price. So the wisest, safest way to invest in stocks is what Doc Brown posted up. Market index funds that build a portfolio that tracks the overall market. Or a segment of the market. As overall market goes up, so does your shares.

In 1997, purchasing $5000 worth of Marvel Super Heroes Winter Special (1st Squirrel Girl) and Batman Adventures 12 (1st Harley Quinn) would be - and pay off like - buying $5000 worth of Amazon. But all of these things are speculative.

Purchasing IBM would have paid off in 1997 And so would have purchasing Amazing Spider-Man 129 or Hulk 181. All were much safer, blue chip types of investments.

Kinda, yes you would make a lot of money, but not really as much as it looked on paper. If you attempted to sell 5,000 near mint copies of Batman Adventure #12 in one day, the market would absolutely be crushed. How would you do it, Ebay? Auction house? Really, how would you sell 5,000 copies of the same exact book. Take a picture of the pallet with a box open on top fanning out the books.

The market would not be dented if you sold your shares of Amazon in one transaction.
Post 93 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
That said, the old saying is "buy low and sell high". Right now, Venom is at an all-time high. Now is the time to be selling Venom books.

That's not to say there's no room for Venom books to grow. They absolutely can. But they're more likely to drop in the future.

It's truly unpredictable to be honest.

Venom books have already dropped. The time to sell them at their peak was a few months back.

True. And overall I was advising caution. My last comment about unpredictability was referring to the long term, say ten to fifteen years from now. Ee just don't know where Spidey 300 or the gold variant of Lethal Protector will be.
Post 94 IP   flag post
Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak

Piece of cake.

Hey man I am so glad I found this site.
I have $100,000 to invest. I understand that you can double my money to $200,000 in a very short time. Where do I send my money?
Post 95 IP   flag post
Quote:

Piece of cake.

Trouble is before you know what your profit is, you must account for all costs of acquiring a customer. You may find it costs more than $4.00 to find a buyer of your $4.00 dollar book, thus putting you in the red.

Have you ever walked into the bank and said, I want to deposit my 100% profit for selling my comic book. The clerk would kindly say, ah we only can deposit actual money.
Post 96 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshade
Quote:

Piece of cake.

Hey man I am so glad I found this site.
I have $100,000 to invest. I understand that you can double my money to $200,000 in a very short time. Where do I send my money?

PayPal is conditionfreak@gmail.com
Post 97 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Piece of cake.

Trouble is before you know what your profit is, you must account for all costs of acquiring a customer. You may find it costs more than $4.00 to find a buyer of your $4.00 dollar book, thus putting you in the red.

Have you ever walked into the bank and said, I want to deposit my 100% profit for selling my comic book. The clerk would kindly say, ah we only can deposit actual money.

Ha Ha. I think I get your point, but you are so wrong about the details. I have deposited many checks and even some cyber deposits went just fine. And they don't care how you got your money (profit). They will take it no matter what.
Post 98 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Piece of cake.

Ha Ha. I think I get your point, but you are so wrong about the details. I have deposited many checks and even some cyber deposits went just fine. And they don't care how you got your money (profit). They will take it no matter what.

Details, yes. How much did your computer cost, how about those monthly internet bills, how about that chair you were sitting in. Are you sure you know what your costs of acquiring a customer really are.

What were your costs of acquiring inventory, how did you buy that $4.00 comic. It didn't just land on your desk. How much did you invest in labor, how do you value your time by the hour, what about expenses, fuel and vehicle insurance.
Post 99 IP   flag post
This is getting silly. Whether or not I sell even one comic book. I would have the same computer, the same internet service, and my swivel chair.

I like you. But you really should think twice and type once.
Post 100 IP   flag post
Quote:
This is getting silly. Whether or not I sell even one comic book. I would have the same computer, the same internet service, and my swivel chair.

This...

And this is why the IRS won't let you deduct the cost of your computer, internet and chair on a home based business. Unless those things are ONLY used for the business and nothing else, they assume you'd have internet, a computer a few chairs in your house anyway.
Post 101 IP   flag post
This thread is awesome BTW. I'm jealous. I rarely start threads. But when I do they rarely go past a page. Some newbie comes in and asks a question and 100 posts later it's still going strong. It ain't fair I'm telling you.
Post 102 IP   flag post
Quote:
This thread is awesome BTW. I'm jealous. I rarely start threads. But when I do they rarely go past a page. Some newbie comes in and asks a question and 100 posts later it's still going strong. It ain't fair I'm telling you.

I promise the next time you start a thread, I will get into a long "discussion" with someone. It's easy to find a sparing partner around here.
Post 103 IP   flag post
Collector Comicnewbie private msg quote post Address this user
@IronMan Sorry my friend. I had no idea this would happen. BTW, Thread lessons tomorrow at 1pm eastern lol
Post 104 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

This...

And this is why the IRS won't let you deduct the cost of your computer, internet and chair on a home based business. Unless those things are ONLY used for the business and nothing else, they assume you'd have internet, a computer a few chairs in your house anyway.

These are both very disingenuous responses to what Homer wrote...and conditionfreak's, as usual, is contemptuous and insulting.

Why don't you respond to Homer's entire post?
Post 105 IP   flag post
600675 212 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?