Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
QuestionsSignatures

Best investment5310

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
That's how we roll here. You start a thread about Wonder Woman and the next thing you know, we are talking about Aquaman or horses.

This made me chuckle. 100% accurate.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector Comicnewbie private msg quote post Address this user
Lol. Understood
Post 52 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
This thread has covered some roads. I'll read something I want to comment on - then someone else covers that comment but mentions something I would comment on ..... rinse and repeat. So just a few things...

If you look at comic book prices over a approaching now a 50 year period, one thing stands out. The VERY best books have done the VERY best. Let's use 1987. 30 years ago. Back in 1987 ,I could have sold my entire collection and purchased a VG'ish copy of Action 1 or Detective 27 (MINT price was around $25,000 LOL) . Now my selling entire collection would not. Despite the fact the books I have did increase nicely in value.

Around that same time, ASM 129 was a book that would sell for around $15, Incredible Hulk 181 was $35. Continuing the fun Amazing Fantasy 15 was $1200, Amazing Spider-Man 1 $900 and Avengers 1 $440. These are all "mint" prices from the Overstreet Price Guide. Meanwhile, Dazzler 1 was $1.50

It's clear that some vintage comics have been and will continue to be excellent investments. Dazzler hasn't done so well, despite being a hyped and kinda a big deal when released.

I don't mean to pick on newer material. There are no doubt recently published comics that will be widely sought collectibles. BUT...If you are looking INVESTING in comics the lesson is clear. BUY THE BEST BOOK YOU CAN AFFORD that has a proven long term track record of growth and desirability with collectors.

You might enjoy greater growth in value if you can identify overlooked books that everyone will want 5-10 years from now. I've been a serious student of the hobby for 40 years and I can't predict with any consistency. For the Bronze Age, Amazing Spider-Man 129 and Incredible Hulk 181 are probably your two best "blue chip" investments. There are other good choices as from that time period. HOS 92, GL 76 85 and 87 Marvel Spotlight 5 GS X-Men 1 and 94, maybe even Conan 1 come to mind. But when I think of other solid investments in Bronze Age books, I cannot think of any that are BETTER choices than ASM 129 and Hulk 181.

So if your son likes Spider-Man, that's a plus

@BigRedOne1944

I'm a big MJW fan. I wrote an article on her for Gary Carter's Comic Book Marketplace way back in the day. I'm pretty sure I'm the one that pointed out to Overstreet that 59 was her first cover appearance. So I'm 100% with you on her key books, their importance and being overlooked/undervalued. However... (isn't there always a however )

I'm not buying the hype or logic of ASM 43. Mary Jane Watson is IMHO one of the VERY BEST supporting characters in comics. But supporting characters are just that. It's not unusual for supporting characters to completely disappear for entire issues or story arcs. And given their supporting role, it's common for their appearances to often be just a few panels.

One should also take into account the big build up and final reveal of MJW. We were teased about MJ starting in ASM 15. Then in issues 25 and 38 Aunt May tried to arrange a date and we saw glimpses only in silhouettes. Peter was finally "trapped" into a date in issue 42 and then we see - in as classic a panel as exists in the Spider-Man title - the fun lovin' Mary Jane we all love.

That panel is the culmination of 2.5 years of work by Lee, Ditko and finally Romita. Her first "full" appearance an issue later? Hmm. OK.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
https://www.investopedia.com/articles/markets/101415/4-best-sp-500-index-funds.asp
Post 54 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
https://www.investopedia.com/articles/markets/101415/4-best-sp-500-index-funds.asp

A great reference. The number 1 fund listed has had an average return of 11% for 40 years. But comics can be better still. Action Comics 1 (and Detective 27) have seen average returns of 16% during that time.

Let's also put that in perspective. Over a 40 year period, a relatively small difference in average return translates into a HUGE difference in the value of your investment. Action Comics 1 was I believe about 9,000 in 1976 in Mint. Now no mint copy is known to exist (the Mile High might be a 9.4 - has not been professionally graded.) The 9.0 sold for 3.2 million.

$9,0000 invested in 1976 in a fund returning 11% a year on average would be worth $585,000 40 years later. $9,000 invested in a 9.0 Action 1 in 9.0 40 years ago would be worth 3.2 million. It's "only" a five percent difference in annual returns. But it's 6x more money.

Is this unique to Action 1 / Detective Comics 27? No it is not. It applies to a lot of the major keys. Amazing Fantasy 15 for instance is approaches a staggering 20% annual return over 40 years. $900 becomes a million. That ASM 129 we are talking about? Overstreet had it a like a dollar in 1976. I was collecting comic books then. Overstreet was low, it was $10 book at any comic book store. At it's current NM price, that $10 has generated a 15% annual return. If you actually bought one for a buck? 22% annual return. Double the #1 index fund.

This is the reason that the very biggest books have become so expensive. Rich people are investing in them just like they invest in fine art.

There is nothing wrong with a quality index fund. It's how most rich people get richer and some middle class people become rich. But the point is that investing in collectibles - like comics - shouldn't be scoffed at. It should just be done with some common sense and caution. Buy quality stuff. Not hyped stuff
Post 55 IP   flag post

I may have an opportunity to obtain this. Thoughts?
Post 56 IP   flag post
Collector 50AE_DE private msg quote post Address this user
Other than buying it as an investment for your child, why does this book appeal to you?
Post 57 IP   flag post
Selfishly, it has Batman and Superman on the cover. 2 of My favs. My son loves Batman also. I know it’s a golden age book and may not have broad massive appeal but I think it’s cool and my son also thought the photo was cool.
Post 58 IP   flag post
You do know that the new guy brings the donuts, right? DWeeB1967 private msg quote post Address this user
@Comicnewbie Very nice copy with a very cool cover. One that I, personally, would consider given that I love collecting older DC comics in nice shape.

But that's just me.
Post 59 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Both the stock market and the collectibles market continue to amaze.

In 2013 I inherited a large lump sum of cash. At the time I was concerned that the stock market might have gotten ahead of itself and decided to use a small percentage of the money to buy some high grade comics from one of the auction companies over the next few months.

I did well reselling most of the comics but it seems that the stock market still had some room on the upside since then.
Post 60 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Concerning the World's Finest #74. Almost $700 for that book. The closest thing to it I could find on gocollects record of sales for this book is a sale last August on Ebay of a 5.0 for $235.00

Not a lot of these show up in this grade. There are only three graded higher on the CGC census, with the highest being an 8.5 There are 6 7.0's on that census.

Hope that helps.
Post 61 IP   flag post
It does help but I know from some of my other “collectibles” that rare doesn’t always mean valuable.
Post 62 IP   flag post
@Comicnewbie

It's not a "key" issue. The market has for a long time drifted away from non key issues to key issues. The last pre-code issue of World's Finest isn't a key. This is likely to under perform books that introduce popular new characters, a classic cover or introduce some new, game changing concept or direction.
Post 63 IP   flag post
@IronMan Thank you for the info. My son now wants to see this book in person. I may have opened my mouth before enough research was done 😐. I guess I can just say no if it comes to that lol.
Post 64 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
In anticipation of the Superman/Batman movie, this book was very hot for a long time. I still think it is a keeper if you get it. But like Ironman said. Probably better investments if that is the goal, although you said that is not really the goal. Just icing on the cake (so to speak)
Post 65 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Why that particular book? Lots of worlds finest have BAtman and Supes on the cover.

You can get Venoms first appearance Amazing Spiderman 300 in 9.6 with white pages for $700.
Post 66 IP   flag post
Ruefully I admit I’m overwhelmed with all the info I’m receiving. After each post I get more confused. I should stick with what I know and come back to Comics once I know more...much more.
Post 67 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicnewbie
Ruefully I admit I’m overwhelmed with all the info I’m receiving. After each post I get more confused. I should stick with what I know and come back to Comics once I know more...much more.

Nah. Stick with a first appearance that has a proven history of maintaining or building in value & you'll be good.

Spidey 129 & 300 are especially hot lately, but you can't go wrong with either one.

There's always more to learn (that's part of the fun, really) but you're on the right track.
Post 68 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Quote:

A great reference. The number 1 fund listed has had an average return of 11% for 40 years. But comics can be better still. Action Comics 1 (and Detective 27) have seen average returns of 16% during that time.

Let's also put that in perspective. Over a 40 year period, a relatively small difference in average return translates into a HUGE difference in the value of your investment. Action Comics 1 was I believe about 9,000 in 1976 in Mint. Now no mint copy is known to exist (the Mile High might be a 9.4 - has not been professionally graded.) The 9.0 sold for 3.2 million.

$9,0000 invested in 1976 in a fund returning 11% a year on average would be worth $585,000 40 years later. $9,000 invested in a 9.0 Action 1 in 9.0 40 years ago would be worth 3.2 million. It's "only" a five percent difference in annual returns. But it's 6x more money.

Is this unique to Action 1 / Detective Comics 27? No it is not. It applies to a lot of the major keys. Amazing Fantasy 15 for instance is approaches a staggering 20% annual return over 40 years. $900 becomes a million. That ASM 129 we are talking about? Overstreet had it a like a dollar in 1976. I was collecting comic books then. Overstreet was low, it was $10 book at any comic book store. At it's current NM price, that $10 has generated a 15% annual return. If you actually bought one for a buck? 22% annual return. Double the #1 index fund.

This is the reason that the very biggest books have become so expensive. Rich people are investing in them just like they invest in fine art.

There is nothing wrong with a quality index fund. It's how most rich people get richer and some middle class people become rich. But the point is that investing in collectibles - like comics - shouldn't be scoffed at. It should just be done with some common sense and caution. Buy quality stuff. Not hyped stuff

No, for several reasons.
Post 69 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
@Comicnewbie You'll never know enough, so jump right in. I don't think anything you've thrown out there is a bad choice...I think most just want to make sure you buy what you love (or your son loves) and if you're looking for highest probability on return on investment, first appearances are best and the older the better. It's hard to go wrong unless you get swindled...so if you're new definitely go with one that's graded by cbcs or cgc so you know what you're getting.

It is wise to do some research before spending hundreds on a book, just as common sense. And Ive found just about everyone on this forum Has good intentions and wants to see you have a good experience. There's plenty of books for everyone!
Post 70 IP   flag post
@Drogio Thanks
Post 71 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

This, for several reasons.

Great post.
Post 72 IP   flag post
Suck it up, buttercup!! KatKomics private msg quote post Address this user
Then there is always the buy what you like - investment or no...

My son really likes Guardians of the Galaxy, SpongeBob, Power Rangers etc etc.

I've bought some for him to read (current books) and have picked up some first for quasi investment (1st Rocket Racoon, 1st Starlord) some that may or may not have a future - SpongeBob #1.

Mostly I buy for him like I buy for myself - buy what you like - you may have it forever - I have books that are probably worth less than original price that I will never part with - others that I may have overpaid for that I probably can't get rid of!!
Post 73 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
A 9.8 Hulk 181 sold for $22,500.00 in 2004, even with the dramatic upswing in value for Hulk 181 in 2017, 9.8 copies have sold between 15,000 with a high of 23,000.00.

By picking sales, that would be about a 14 year run with the most in demand bronze key with a negative return with regards to inflation.

Investing in comics is very, very risky. I can't repeat it enough, but its very risky.

Oh and someone sold there 9.8 copy in 2013 for a mere 7,601.00
Post 74 IP   flag post
@KatKomics. I know exactly what you mean.
@Homer. You just never know. I dove in too fast. All I hear is that AMS 129 and Hulk 181 are the only books worth pursuing from that age. Now it seems maybe that may be misguided. I will help him keep buying the 2.99 books that he wants
Post 75 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Quote:

This, for several reasons.

Great post.

Wrong again, as usual.
Post 76 IP   flag post
Oh the guy who bought the Hulk 181 9.8 falling knife in 2013 at 7,601.00 is doing fine if he is still holding the book.

Buying falling knives can be painful also if you make a pattern out of it.
Post 77 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Comics are a great investment. Go for 1st appearances, so in this case a Spider-man 300. I started investing in them about 6 years ago. Bought 1st appearances, (mostly silver, mostly mid grade) got them graded, and then watch them appreciate. Your son can hang on to them, the flippers can’t, so the flip is more dangerous imo. Been a great investment vehicle for many years.
Post 78 IP   flag post
Collector docstrange private msg quote post Address this user
Had a chance when I was in San Diego for the comic con back in 1988 to buy some key books
a dealer had Action#1 Batman #1 Superman #1 Detective #27 and Captain America #1 the books were all in the Fine range and the dealer wanted $25,000 for the lot or $5,000 a piece. My girlfriend at the time who later became my wife had $25K in the bank and she was travelling overseas but I had access to her money
Wanted to buy 1 book for $5,000 but knew if I used her money our relationship would be toast.A friend who was with me bought the Detective #27 for $5K Would I be rich today if I would have bought any of the remaining books, YES. Would I be married still today(27 years) Hell NO
But its a great story I love to tell my kids and friends from time to time
Post 79 IP   flag post
Multiple 9.8 copies ASM 300 were selling in 2006 in the range of $1200.00-$1500.00, by 2012 the book fell out of flavor and were selling around $500.00-$600.00 that year. Back in flavor now getting $1800.00 and sometimes closer to $2,000.00 esp if newsstand.

Your guess is as good as mine on what it will go for five years from now. I would say at least a 50/50 it drops back down to around $1,000.00.

good investment, I say nah
Post 80 IP   flag post
601455 212 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?