Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature ASPComics MagazinesQuestions

ETA on Magazine-Size Encapsulation5296

Collector c2t2merch private msg quote post Address this user
Hoping for a CBCS response here with an actual time-line. Back in May I had a Marvel Graphic Novel #4 signed by Chris Claremont and Bob McLeod under the AW program, after getting it signed I was informed by Mark that it couldn't be encapsulated by CBCS yet and to just keep the AW paperwork and send it in with the book once CBCS has the cases for magazines. I'm just curious on when exactly CBCS plans to get these cases, or if I should just give up on the prospect of it being slabbed by them.
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by c2t2merch
Hoping for a CBCS response here with an actual time-line.

Baaahahahahahahahahahahaaaaa!

*wipes tears*

Sorry, that was funny; nothing personal. Around here the timeline for things coming is simply #soon. Which usually means years. or Never.

Considering as well that the AW program now has restrictions on how long you can hold a book, unfortunately you're pretty much out of luck.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector c2t2merch private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Hoping for a CBCS response here with an actual time-line.

Baaahahahahahahahahahahaaaaa!

*wipes tears*

Sorry, that was funny; nothing personal. Around here the timeline for things coming is simply #soon. Which usually means years. or Never.

Considering as well that the AW program now has restrictions on how long you can hold a book, unfortunately you're pretty much out of luck.

Those timeline restrictions were already in place when I talked with Mark, he said the timeline doesn't apply to magazine-sized books since they are unable to grade them, so if/when they are able to do so it can still be sent in.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
i dont know why CBCS put stuff that they say will do and they then dont go with it, Then it just there for years. that just bad on CBCS part.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector NoahSult private msg quote post Address this user
Have you not seen these turn around times, you may never get it encapsulated by them at this rate. But good luck to you.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
I have a Marvel Preview 4 that I got signed by Bob McLeod, Bernie Wrightson and Steve Englehardt that I have been waiting to submit since 2015...
Post 6 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Broker1 private msg quote post Address this user
It would be nice if someone from CBCS would at least comment. I’ve got several mags I’ve beeen holding onto for a couple of years because of my loyalty to CBCS, but very close to sucking it up and getting them slabbed across the street.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
As long as I have been using CBCS I have never heard nor read that CBCS WAS going to slab magazines. Borrock has said in print and interviews that it was something CBCS would "Like" to do. In another interview Borrock said that it would cost a minimum $70k to create and manufacture a magazine slab. As I recalled the conversation was then dropped. The #soon tag was created by forum members and as I recall never endorsed by CBCS. I have learned that if news isn't official and publicly announced by CBCS or Borrock, i.e. interviews, newsletters etc. It's best to put it on the side.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
I think you can probably file this question in the #soon category unfortunately
Post 10 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@mattness - If current turn-around times are four to five months (hell, I’m at 21+ weeks, that’s a pretty nice cash flow) then personally I do not think an outlay of $70K should be much of an issue. I would imagine that grading a magazine would be similar enough to a comic that graders wouldn’t need much time to get up to speed. And labeling, encapsulation, and slabbing, while on a larger scale, shouldn’t be an issue. CBCS will certainly charge more to grade and slab a magazine, so the equipment will pay itself off. They came out with their RAW GRADE service, which already will grade magazines (and Treasurey editions) so what exactly is holding them back from slabbing magazines? Maybe they didn’t want to spend money before the merger, but there really is no excuse now.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
At ACE Long Island in December, Mark Roman had a prototype of the magazine slab. CBCS was not happy with it and is waiting to see it with the revisions they requested.

I want this as much as you guys do I have two big magazines I am waiting to submit.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
Taking on magazines would be a huge step, not only the cost but also the myriad other aspects involved. Just a reflection on how and when CGC did the same thing those years ago--also with Steve at the helm--will give you some perspective perhaps. Any hint or indication that magazines were/are in the future plans of CBCS should not cloud our own vision of if and when. Once there is something concrete--as in a written statement of intent--then we can truly make critical commentary.
Post 13 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
At ACE Long Island in December, Mark Roman had a prototype of the magazine slab. CBCS was not happy with it and is waiting to see it with the revisions they requested.

I want this as much as you guys do I have two big magazines I am waiting to submit.

That is very good news, it means they are actually moving on it
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
I unfortunately had to submit some magazines to CGC at SDCC last year since CBCS wasn't doing them still and the whole process really reminded me how much better CBCS is lol. I submitted 11 books to CGC and they forced me to have 4 different invoices (each with its own stupid invoice fee) and 4 different shipping charges

- 6 books under Modern Magazine
- 1 book under economy magazine
- 2 books under modern magazine signature series
- 2 books under modern signature series (reg books signed by Kirkman who is CGC only)

my 11 book submission was basically double the cost for no reason other than the different invoice fees and shipping fees.

I am definitely ready for CBCS to offer magazine size!
Post 15 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos

I am also waiting. What do you have, Corey?

Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
My understanding is that the encapsulation machines are very expensive. I'm sure that profits have to justify the financial investment.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
#soon to this and any other upcoming “service/feature”
Post 18 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I'm just curious on when exactly CBCS plans to get these cases, or if I should just give up on the prospect of it being slabbed by them.

I honestly suggest holding off for a few months, since you've all waited this long. Beckett is working on the game plan of what will happen and when it will happen. I think we are getting close to having at least an internal timeline on what to expect.

Before Beckett, CBCS had a lot of plans, but really did have our hands tied because we lacked resources to make things happen as fast as we hoped they would. The purchase by Becket should let CBCS spread it's wings. I can tell you for certain that Beckett is not going to be satisfied with CBCS being the little fish in a big pond. They envision big things for CBCS, and are committed to making it happen.

So again, give it a little more time. I think you'll be happy you did.
Post 19 IP   flag post
SteveRicketts I love u maaaannn, but I will #soon, lol 😈 hope it come soon.
Post 20 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
@Scorpion I know the #soon is the running punchline, and believe me, everyone at CBCS shares the frustration.

This past year proved to be an explosion of growth that we were ill prepared for. There is definitely a correlation between supply and demand. With Beckett, should be able to mitigate these issues in the future. As big as CBCS became last year, expect it to grow faster in the future.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector docstrange private msg quote post Address this user
Nice slabbed TMNT #1 here we come
Post 22 IP   flag post
just messing with you steve, i do hope it all works out and that we can start the Encapsulation of Magazine-Size books. ill keep my fingers crossed.
Post 23 IP   flag post
598062 23 23
This topic is archived. Start new topic?