Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Modern AgeQuestions

Shipping to UK5292

Collector DarthMoore private msg quote post Address this user
Hi guys, first time poster, so be kind!
Can anyone, preferably someone in the UK give me some indication of how much shipping to the UK would be for, say, 10 comic books (modern) after being graded by CBCS? I am hoping to get a shipment off to them next month, but cant find any relevant information on return shipping.
Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector nikki666666 private msg quote post Address this user
@DarthMoore Don't send them straight to CBCS.. send them to Garry Crawley. You'll find him on Facebook and you can PM him. He's sending 8 of my books out this weekend. He does a bulk postage to the US and has everything insured and covered. Its much easier to send to him in the UK and let him deal with the rest.

He will tell you the total cost if you send him a list of the books you wan to send. Its a little more than CBCS charge but what with the postage costs there and back and add in the hassle freeness, its only about 3-4% more expensive but well worth leaving them with someone with regular experience in sending to and from CBCS.
Post 2 IP   flag post
@nikki666666 Thanks for your reply. However I am witnessing a signing very soon, so would rather send them myself.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@DarthMoore cool.. good luck with sending them to the US. When i looked into it i was unable to find any company that would insure them for their value. Check into it properly. Royal Mail for example say they will cover up to 'x' amount of value for an insurance but if you quiz them on it and tell them its comics you are sending they will tell you that they would only pay out cover price unless you have proof of purchase at a higher price. DPD wouldn't even let me insure them when they knew they were comics.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthMoore
Hi guys, first time poster, so be kind!
Can anyone, preferably someone in the UK give me some indication of how much shipping to the UK would be for, say, 10 comic books (modern) after being graded by CBCS? I am hoping to get a shipment off to them next month, but cant find any relevant information on return shipping.
Thanks!

Hi.

My latest shipment arrived last week and was for eleven slabs for a shipping cost of $145.31. I usually send off comics at ten at a time and this is the usual cost. It is expensive for just one or two comics, perhaps $65 or so.

I have sent off (and received) six consignments direct to CBCS and have never had any problems. It is "quicker" to deal direct as using a middleman adds a few extra weeks.

Sending off ten or so properly packaged raw comics cost me appx £25/30. This is including £500 insurance for Royal Mail delivery.
I declare them as books on the customs forms.

I hope this helps.

Cost
$222.00
Fees
($2.80)
S&H
$145.31
Total
$364.51
Payments
$364.51
Balance
$0.00

Sent Aug 25, 2017
Post 5 IP   flag post
@Redshade What if the comics went missing or got damaged... you wouldn't be covered for the insurance hence it is not worth taking out if you're not honest with them.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki666666
@Redshade What if the comics went missing or got damaged... you wouldn't be covered for the insurance hence it is not worth taking out if you're not honest with them.

It's not that I am "not being honest". They are books. I have sent six lots in to CBCS in the past 18 months and they have all arrived safely.

Perhaps if a parcel went missing then I wouldn't be so blase and have a rethink.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@Redshade True, they are books.. its just when you delve into the T&C's of these delivery companies you'll find that they don't cover comics!

I was unfortunate enough to find this out when i posted out an 8.5 copy of Spider-man Mary Jane Venom Variant to the US and it went 'astray' - all i was able to get back for it was what i had originally paid a couple of years earlier on ebay.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Redshade True, they are books.. its just when you delve into the T&C's of these delivery companies you'll find that they don't cover comics!

I was unfortunate enough to find this out when i posted out an 8.5 copy of Spider-man Mary Jane Venom Variant to the US and it went 'astray' - all i was able to get back for it was what i had originally paid a couple of years earlier on ebay.

Interesting.

So, I've just sent off an email to Royal Mail asking for clarification. I'll let you know what the reply is ("could take up to 3 working days" ).
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector rtdcomics private msg quote post Address this user
UPS to the states is always a good option. More expensive than Royal Mail but much quicker (2 days) and fully insured normally costs me around £50/£60

Shipping back normally costs me around $150 from CBCS for a dozen books.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtdcomics
UPS to the states is always a good option. More expensive than Royal Mail but much quicker (2 days) and fully insured normally costs me around £50/£60

Shipping back normally costs me around $150 from CBCS for a dozen books.

On a side note; given that all inclusive of fees and two-way shipping the cheapest (ie modern comics) total cost is $35/40 per comic.Do you add this onto your selling fees (I'm presuming that you are a dealer)?
Post 11 IP   flag post
I do factor in the costs involved but dont add it to the sale as such.

I grade for either my personal collection or to sell through the business. If i'm planning to sell a book I first look at current market value for that comic in what i presume is a similar graded condition. The way i look at the costings is can I get my copy from its original state to the final market price and still return a profit including all the shipping/grading/signatures. I dont tend to take a book and say well market value may be 'x' but with my additional costs on top mine is worth more than everyone else. The latter will quickly lead to a pile of graded books youre unable to move.

This makes sense in my head but may not make sense in my writing!!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Thanks for all the comments, all seems a bit more clearer now.
At least I can roughly work out how much it may cost for return shipping back to me.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshade
Quote:

Interesting.

So, I've just sent off an email to Royal Mail asking for clarification. I'll let you know what the reply is ("could take up to 3 working days" ).

Well this is Royal Mail's response :

"""""""""""
Dear Mr W.

Thank you for contacting us.

I'm sorry to have to advise that Royal Mail do not offer insurance, but a compensation scheme; this means to be compensated in the event of a loss you need to prove your items are worth what you are claiming.

Please also be aware that the maximum we can offer is £250 - if you are sending more valuable items you may wish to consider our sister company Parcelforce, as they can offer greater compensation cover.

Daniel Shortt
Customer Service Advisor
Help Centre: royalmail.com/help
Contact Us: royalmail.com/contactus
Customer By Service Web (SW) (18/01/2018 03.09 PM)

Hello.
My query is about insurance for sending collectables overseas. I send 1960/70s comics to a US appraisal and evaluation service (which are then returned to me). The books have a cover price of a couple of shillings but are today worth many tens of pounds. Can I insure say 20 comics with a "value" of £1000 for said amount? Thank you. SW """""""".

Perhaps my parcels have been going via the Royal mail's Parcel division which can be accessed via the post office (Post Office Counters Ltd, another Royal Mail Division)which I assumed they used when I said I want X insurance. Both letters (RM) and parcels (PF)
are picked up by the same vans and taken to the local depot.

I shall now contact Parcelforce with the same query and get back when I have an answer.
Post 14 IP   flag post
@Redshade Im pretty certain that you'll get the same answer back from parcel force. although i think they will I've you more clarification as to why they don't cover it.
Post 15 IP   flag post

Just seen this on the Parcelforce website under whats not covered..
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Redshade Im pretty certain that you'll get the same answer back from parcel force. although i think they will I've you more clarification as to why they don't cover it.

It seems we are all learning here.
I have sent parcels from the post office with £1000 insurance. As mentioned already these must have been processed using their Parcelforce brand.
I have always declared these as "books" so it will be interesting to see exactly what Parcelforce says about comics/magazines. I'll let you know when they reply.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector no1lufcfan private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting thread and info guys

I certainly did not realise how Royal Mail/Parcelforce differentiate between Comics and Books for insurance purposes.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1lufcfan
Interesting thread and info guys

I certainly did not realise how Royal Mail/Parcelforce differentiate between Comics and Books for insurance purposes.

We are not sure that they do, that's what we're waiting to see.

It does seem that a lot of the "insurance" paid on sending comics could have been wasted and that is worrying.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS and CGC both ship internationally via FedEx.

To get an exact quote on shipping for 10 books you are either going to have to do the submission online and see what the total for shipping is near the very end (you can cancel out if not ready). OR call customer service.

My own experience in submitting books for clients in the UK is that you are probably looking at around $150- $175 shipping costs.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Until @IronMan chimed in, I was reading this entire thread with an English accent.
Post 21 IP   flag post
I finally received an answer from Parcelforce (which is reproduced below).

The pertinent part states that one would only obtain what one paid for a comic, which might have been years/decades ago, and not what it is worth by today's valuation.

So by this criteria items that I paid a few pounds each for at comic marts and shops in the 80s and 90s, even though said items may now have a value of tens or hundreds of pounds each will be recompensed at the price I paid for them. And who keeps receipts that long, even supposing them to have been issued in the first place?

This is a very worrying situation and begs the question what type of insurance, if any, is placed upon the items that we receive from CBCS and, of course, other companies?

EMAIL FOLLOWS :

Dear xxxxxxx.

Thank you for your email.

No they would not be covered. Please see below from our list of exclusions.

Collectable Items : Any loss of, or damage to, any collectable shall be limited to the lesser of the actual cost price paid for the collectable by the seller (My bold text-Redshade) or the purchase price paid by the buyer and shall not exceed Parcelforce Worldwide’ s stated limits of compensation. Please note the exclusion from compensation for damage to original packaging, listed above.

If you need help with anything else please reply to this email or if you would prefer to speak to one of our advisors please call 03448 00 44 66. Calls are charged at national rates.

Claire Leadbetter - Email Team

Parcelforce Worldwide is a trading name for Royal Mail Group plc. Registered in England and Wales, Registered Number: 4138203. Registered office at 100 Victoria Embankment, London, EC4Y0HQ
Post 22 IP   flag post
@Redshade I knew it.. i remember having these issues when i was sending abroad before. Im not sure what we are supposed to do??
Post 23 IP   flag post
ive made a couple of recent claims (one for parcelforce and one for DPD) where the comics have been damaged during transit. Both times ive been paid out the full sale price that i had received when selling them. The only issue I had was when ParcelMonkey advised me I was covered for damages unless I had used polystyrene walled boxes and packaging (even though I had solidly packed the items and they must have been really badly treated to end up in their final condition). They quickly backed down and solved the issue when I questioned how their business would be viewed in light of environmental, non-biodegradable issues with a product they were insisting on.

I think, might be wrong, but its the definition of 'collectable' that is the problem. For a lot of couriers and insurance companies there are different set ups for a comic/book and a collectible which comics can often fall into. If i was selling a bundle of 20 Wolfpack there is no way Id state they are collectibles whereas if I was selling ASM #129 for example Id accept the categorisation.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Redshade I knew it.. i remember having these issues when i was sending abroad before. Im not sure what we are supposed to do??

Send them off with tracking and keep one's fingers crossed is all we can do. Paying for "extra insurance" is just wasting money apparently.

@rtdcomics

Yes we are covered when selling as is stated in the reply above from Parcelforce.

What I am concerned about is that we do not have any coverage for sending comics off to CBCS. And also are they fully insured when they are returned to us via CBCS/FEDEX?
Post 25 IP   flag post
Bump!

I wonder if any staff member would like to address concerns as to whether slabbed comics sent out to customers are fully covered/insured (or not)for their full value?
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshade
Bump!

I wonder if any staff member would like to address concerns as to whether slabbed comics sent out to customers are fully covered/insured (or not)for their full value?

BUMP
Post 27 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Comics shipped back to customers from CBCS are insured.
The easiest way to explain it is this. If you insure your comic for $1000, that is the MAXIMUM you would be awarded if the package was damaged or lost. By "maximum" I mean that that amount would be adjusted to a fair market value when the case was reviewed. The adjustment can go down, but it will never go over the insured amount.

For example, you send in a copy of Ewoks #3 with a missing page, and insure it for $1 million.
Your book gets graded a point five and the package gets lost in transit back to you.
The insurance adjuster will investigate and find that your comic was worth $1 on a good day, that's all you'd likely get in a claim, even though you insured it for a million dollars.

On the flip side, if you send in a VF copy of Action Comics #1 and insure it for $1000.
Your book gets graded 8.0 and the package gets lost in transit back to you.
The insurance adjuster will investigate and find out that your comic was worth $2 million.
They'll chuckle as they write you a check for $1000 because that's all you insured it for.

The short answer is yes, packages shipped from the CBCS office are insured for the amount you claimed when submitting.
Post 28 IP   flag post
@SteveRicketts

Thanks for the reassurance Steve.
Post 29 IP   flag post
600851 29 29
This topic is archived. Start new topic?