Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern Age

New Comics Releases Jan 17-Batter Up!5274

Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
I am more and more astounded by what I'm seeing on the DC side... As a long time Marvel guy, I'm always waiting for things to pick up, and I do see more going on, but DC has been keeping things going consistently for the last few months with a lot of noteworthy releases every week. I can remember for a long time when I would pick up only Vertigo books from DC or maybe one non-Vertigo book. These days, I'm following several titles and can't wait, week-to-week, to see what's coming. My ONLY complaint is that I wish they would do a better job on artist management. They juggle so many artists on single titles that, from issue to issue, the books are changing. So, you'll have a few regular artists, but you may find a particular artist working once over three or four issues. From a continuity perspective, it can get a bit frustrating. At least they're not using artists with drastically different styles, but it's something to consider. In Avengers: No Surrender, it looks like they're using an approach where they are juggling artists, but they're far ahead, so they can have multiple artists working at the same time, each on chunks of issues, so they can have three or four issues in a row. I love the continuity of that, plus the cohesive covers.

Anyway, let's dig in!

Antarctic Press:

Teether 1 - I don't know anything about this one aside from the description and cover, but the cover IS pretty intense, right?!?! For $3.99, it could be worth it just to see what's in the pages...

Dillon Brown thinks he's made a friend with new transfer student Lilly Quist. But when the grisly remains of local kids appear, he starts to suspect the new girl has something to do with it. Soon Dillon realizes that an ancient, endless hunger has come to Carol Hill, Indiana in the form of a 10-year-old girl. He and his classmates now have to stop Lilly's vicious, gore-drenched feast before it's too late. But the secrets behind Lilly's rage might just be more terrifying than Lilly herself!

Cinebook:

Valerian Volume 20 / 21 - The Order of the Stones & The Time Opener GN's - I noticed that Vol 21 was listed as "The conclusion of Valerian and Laureline's adventures, the end of a 40 years saga!" Pretty crazy considering the influence the series has had on pop culture, unbeknownst to all of us, right? Though the movie did horrible in theaters, I've been pretty curious about the series itself. Starting at the very end? Ummm... I guess that's one way to go!

DC

Batman 39 - This is listed as Superfriends Part three, but it's almost like Superfriends II Part 1, since we're focusing on the Batman/Wonder Woman dynamic for issues 39 and 40. Where the issues with Superman were done as a double-date, this one defines their relationship through dialogue, investigation, and combat, it appears... Should be good!!!

Two cover options - Mikel Janin (A) and Olivier Coipel (B).

Batwoman 11 - This issue appears to be a standalone, focusing on Professor Pyg, but should still (secondary plot) touch on whatever is going on with Kate, so if you've been following along, don't forget to pick this one up. Also, there's a GREAT Bill Sienkiewicz cover AND a Michael Cho variant... Bonus!

Damage 1 - Another book coming out of the "Post-Dark Nights Metal" world... This one is from tony Daniel, Robert Venditti, and Danny Miki. I know a lot of people have been looking forward to this one. With Damage, he's a government-owned hero that is dropped into situations and unleashes holy hell on enemies - "the government's own living, breathing, ticking time bomb... cheaper than a nuclear warhead and twice as effective."

Harley Quinn 35 - Man-Batter Up part one... Here's the debut of the new creative team on Harley Quinn, Frank Tieri, Inaki Miranda, and, as promised, Amanda Conner doing some cover work! There are some big shoes to fill, but I really doubt that DC would allow this book to slip through the cracks, and Frank Tieri just wrote issue 27 not too long ago, plus Harley Quinn and her gang of Harleys... He knows his way around the character!

There are two cover options - Amanda Conner (A) and a Frank Cho Variant (B).

Nightwing 37 - This could be a VERY good book to get this week... The past in the world of DC Comics (always retconning) gets murky, so when the books decide to touch on a characters history, traveling down memory lane, it can be a tricky prospect. In this "special flashback issue," Nightwing is going to revisit his time as Robin, investigating a former costumed ally, AND it's going to be illustrated by Klaus Janson. Klaus picking up art duties on the issue makes this a win in my book.

Two cover options - Jorge Jiminez (A) and a Yasmine Putri Variant (B).

Super Sons 12 - The aftermath of the Super Sons of Tomorrow storyline leaves an "emotional toll" on the sons' relationship, "their parents and the Teen Titans. Meanwhile, the past rears its uglye head to haunt Damian Wayne-in the form of his mother, Talia Al Ghul!" If you have been picking up the Super Sons of tomorrow storyline, I'd consider this a must have issue to wrap everything up...

Two cover options - Giuseppe Camuncoli (A) and Dustin Nguyen (B).

Trinity 17 - New storyline... "No Home for You Here" part one... The Trinity (Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman) set off to help WW rediscover Themyscira, "but findinging Diana's lost homeland proves more difficult than these three heroes expected." Written by James Robinson, who handled writing duties on WW these days, this should be a great ride through some mythological misadventures trying to find Themyscira for the heroes, I'm thinking, starting with overcoming Deimos, "who will stop at nothing to seal off... the dread island of Skartaris... from the rest of the world forever." Of course, at this point, the Trinity is marrooned on the island.

Two cover options - Patricl Zircher (A) and a Bill Sienkiewicz Variant (B).

IDW Publishing:

Star Wars Adventures 6 - This is more of an FYI for those who are interested... This issue is Rose's first appearance in a comic book! Since Star Wars has been around for forty years now and will be around for... well... another countless number of generations, it stands to reason that Rose will amass a fan base over time. This being the first comic book apparance of the character may garnish a bit of attention over time. Just something to keep in mind. Also, for all ages, these are fun books. The A and C covers have Rose...

Three cover options - Derek Charm (A), Tim Levens (B), and a Chad Thomas Variant (C).

Image Comics:

Further Adventurs of Nick Wilson 1 - Down on their luck superhero stories can always be fun when handled properly... This new one, a five-parter, we'll have to see. Will it be a guy sitting around reminiscing about his past, will he be a guy without powers getting them back, and need to figure things out again? No clue, but the description (albeit long) reads well, and the covers look great, so it could be a good pickup!

Two cover options - Pete Woods (A) and Ian Churchill (B).

Ice Cream Man 1 - One scoop stories in every issue, I suppose... "Chocolate, vanilla, existential horror, drug addiction, musical fantasy... there's a flavor for everyon's misery." This is described as "genre-defying," which is quite a boast, but when the book can literally be about anything (one scoop, one story), I suppose it's true. The Ice Cream Man himself sounds like our guide through full length issue anthology-style stories, more-or-less, but that isn't a bad thing, unless you get tied to the characters in some way. Ony time will tell what the true story is behind this character and book...

Two cover options - Martin Morazzo / Chris O'Halloran (A) and Frazer Irving (B).

Legendary Comics:

Pacific Rim Aftermath 1 - Jaegers vs Kaiju... This series is being billed as a direct prequel to the new film in production, so if you loved the first film (which was awesome) and love Kaiju, this could be a fun ride!

Marvel Comics:

Venom Inc Omega 1 - The final chapter of Venom Inc is right here! If you have been following... "Maniac has seized control of all of New York's major crime families, and he's now got his sights set on the entire city! ... he's also got a cadre of super villains under his symbiotic spell." Aside from the solicit really needing a bit of an edit, this sounds like it will be a great finale!

Two cover options - Ryan Stegman (A) and Gabriele Dell'Otto (B).

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@thelastbard Nice job with these reviews. That Teether looks sick. I also like those "thick" Frank Cho covers.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I thought Ice Cream man was interesting before I knew it had that cool looking variant.
Post 3 IP   flag post
@BrianGreensnips I don't typically pay much attention to Antarctic, but that cover... WOW!

@drchaos Yeah, the variant is definitely the better cover there for Ice Cream Man... Pretty twisted. I'm hoping rather than "genre-defying", it turns out to be horror, leaning into different genres. That could be what it is anyway.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
I pre-ordered the Teether. There is also an exclusive cover.

Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
ICM reminds me of The Wall movie poster. Coincidence?

Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
I pre-ordered the Teether. There is also an exclusive cover.

I love that cover!!!

Post 7 IP   flag post
@Drogio Looks intentional! It's not a super-obvious homage like the Uncanny swipe, but it's getting there.

@Masochism did you see the Teether cover swipe? I know you track them on your IG...
Post 8 IP   flag post
Once again, the majority of DC's covers had considerable spine damage...in particular Batman 39 and Nightwing 37. And it wasnt just the b variants this week.

Damage #1 had a weird miscut at the bottom of the spine...almost like a 1/8" notch...with a production crease running from that notch horizontally all the way to the free edge. I'd provide a pic but chose not to purchase it...was only going to pick it up as a spec book...will look for a better copy or just pass.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Once again, the majority of DC's covers had considerable spine damage...in particular Batman 39 and Nightwing 37. And it wasnt just the b variants this week.

Damage #1 had a weird miscut at the bottom of the spine...almost like a 1/8" notch...with a production crease running from that notch horizontally all the way to the free edge. I'd provide a pic but chose not to purchase it...was only going to pick it up as a spec book...will look for a better copy or just pass.

What the heck is going on with them?!?! They may need to think about giving their printer a tune-up...
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
I have 5 minutes left in my poll for a comic book review for this week's podcast! Help me break the tie please

Comic Book Review Poll
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Ice Cream Man
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiercy
Ice Cream Man

Concur...although I did not acquire a copy or read it...seems like wveryone is talking about it...
Post 13 IP   flag post
This is a little early, but for next week, you might want to try and pre-order or hit up your local shop and ask them to set-aside the Bill Sienkiewicz cover for Legion 1 coming out... I think it will be hard one to get. Midtown is already sold out, and I'm not seeing it many places. It could have been a weird exceed variant - not sure. There's a regular, TV, Henrichon, and Sienkiewicz.... You know which one is my favorite!

I don't know how many they have, but I just pre-ordered three copies from ComicsElite. There's also a Sienkiewicz variant for Raven issue 1 on there you can pre-order while you're at it... Just saying!

https://www.comicselitecomics.com/collections/january-24/products/legion-1-of-5-sienkiewicz-variant-legacy-1-24-18

Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user

A good day at the other LCS. Especially for a Friday afternoon. I also picked up a couple nice books that I will put on the New to your collection sight.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@BrianGreensnips

Can you check out the bottom left corner of Damag #1? See if there's a weird cut/jog? All the copies I've seen have it...post a pic if you don't mind.

Thanks!
Post 16 IP   flag post
600725 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?