Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Restoration and ConservationMemorabiliaQuestions

Hand washing5269

Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
Curious as to what is the best hand soap to is before handling comics (or any paper collectibles)? I am not using gloves (comics are not that old/high grade) but next best is to have clean, non-oily fingers.

Thanks
Post 1 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
I usually eat a bucket of barbecue KFC before I handle my books. That way I know which ones I have read.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
I usually eat a bucket of barbecue KFC before I handle my books. That way I know which ones I have read.

Make sure you put the coffee mug, with plenty of coffee on the bottom, on the covers as well.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@QuaBrot Why won't you use gloves? Allergy?

Handling comics with your bare hands is always a bad idea.

Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
The soap does not matter. Rinsing whatever you use completely off and drying completely, are the keys. Then your not so high grade comics will be fine.

You're not ..gulp, ..READING them are you?
Post 5 IP   flag post
@KingNampa I guess I could, but the latex gloves are clumsy for me and I'm more afraid of ripping a comic because they are a little stickier than my chicken grease coated fingers . . . What kind of gloves do you use?
Post 6 IP   flag post
@conditionfreak who actually reads comics these days?!?!

The readers I'm not worried about fingerprints. And I give plenty of comics to my kids, they destroy them (I have more appreciation now for comics that survived in great condition)
Post 7 IP   flag post
@QuaBrot I just buy box at CVS, whatever is on sale.

They shouldn't be sticky. Only way to ensure 100% oil free.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuaBrot
@KingNampa I guess I could, but the latex gloves are clumsy for me and I'm more afraid of ripping a comic because they are a little stickier than my chicken grease coated fingers . . . What kind of gloves do you use?

Vinyl free gloves are what should be used.

I wear them whenever I handle moderns, even if my hands are clean it is super easy to leave fingerprints on most moderns.

With older books that have not been dry cleaned, if your hands are freshly washed and not sweaty, you generally do not have to wear gloves at all.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I just use regular soap and wash my hands before handling my books and dry them really well. I have very dry hands to start with too. However,I was using a couple Kleenexs while I was holding and reading my DC Metal books the other day. Some of them glossy covers are not as forgiving though. My wife thought I was nuts.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@BrianGreensnips I ended up pressing all five copies of Batman White Night just so CBCS could dry clean the book to get the finger prints off of the shiny blue cover.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
@BrianGreensnips I ended up pressing all five copies of Batman White Night just so CBCS could dry clean the book to get the finger prints off of the shiny blue cover.

Next time I see you at a show, which will probably be the Big Apple as I am not setting up at the GSCF AC Edition, I'll show you how to dry clean finger prints.

That said, considering that you don't press books, unless a modern is a stone cold 9.8 and you are sure of that, it is a good idea to press moderns before subbing them, anyway.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@CopperAgeKids I usually screen and press books before submitting but this book picked up finger prints so easily that as soon as you clean prints off one side of the book two or three more somehow managed to get on the other side. It has a metallic blue cover and I just gave up trying to fix it myself.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Anyone used these before to handle comics?

Post 14 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
If you really want to use gloves, I would recommend archival quality white cotton gloves for your black glossy covers.

clickable text
Post 15 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01

That is golden
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
I will keep that in mind about Batman White Night. It is still in my stack of books to read.
Post 17 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
I use these "nitrile" gloves if I can find them.

Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user

Post 19 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
I use these "nitrile" gloves if I can find them.

White cotton gloves are I believe the better choice for comic books. But if interested, the nitrile gloves can be purchased from Harbor Freight inexpensively. A box of 100 is about six dollars. I always keep a box of them around for dirty jobs like changing the oil in cars or lawn equipment, cleaning gutters, etc...
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
I don't always handle my comics...but when I do, I wear these! Mwuahahahaha! It's a good thing slabs came around, couldnt get through a single issue without going all to pieces nuk-nuk

Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Krazywan private msg quote post Address this user
Try this stuff its amazing
Post 23 IP   flag post
@Krazywan I can't, I have small children in the house!!!
Post 24 IP   flag post
@QuaBrot In all seriousness though, I work in the medical field and so I keep box of this type at home. Powder-free, Nitrile. If its good enough to care for sick patients, I surmise it's probably good enough for my books. Hope that helps.

Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector Jimmers private msg quote post Address this user
You're not fully clean unless you're ZESTfully clean!
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmers

Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Jimmers private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmers

I was going to say lifebuoy but I don't think they make it anymore.
And always,ALWAYS before handling your comics,please wash your hair with Gee ,Your Hair Smells Terrific shampoo.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Purell those puppies!
Post 29 IP   flag post
596786 29 29
This topic is archived. Start new topic?