Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector Tony private msg quote post Address this user
First time caller long time listener !! So I sent this to cgc, and it came back like this. Now I'm no grader by any means !! But a 8.5 because some kid named Brian K.FKN Vaughan wrote on the cover !!!! They know it's legit, but they want to play comic God's Should I crack it open, and get a red label on it ? It's a 9.4 all day long...
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, red label it!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector WCollecbales private msg quote post Address this user
While I do understand your frustration and also find it fairly foolish they don't offer a red-label program like CBCS - this is kind of your fault. CGC specifically states that they do not authenticate signatures unless they witnessed them (even if they have certificates), it's well known that they give green labels in these kind of situations and even reduce the grade, you should have done more research before sending it in. My suggestion would be yes, crack it and send it for a red label at CBCS.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector ComicHaulics private msg quote post Address this user
Exactly what @WCollecbales said
Post 4 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
Or sell it to me, I'll give ya $80 for it
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@Tony Since it’s a green label then most likely the grade was not reduced because of the signature, legit or not. If you submitted the book yourself, I believe they give you free access to the grader’s notes. what do they say?
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Deadpoolica private msg quote post Address this user
Crack it
Post 7 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
Ahhh.... the great scheme that CGC has.
This why I actually purchase green labels with "name" on front cover. All consumers know it's real; but CGC didn't witness it so y'never know!! (according to them)
Post 8 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Ahhh.... the great scheme that CGC has.
This why I actually purchase green labels with "name" on front cover. All consumers know it's real; but CGC didn't witness it so y'never know!! (according to them)

Ummm.... You do realize the outrageous amount of fraud in involved with the Autograph Markets of any hobby sector? That's the VERY reason these Third Party Graders have taken advantage of sucking fee's out of collectors for their verification services.

"All consumers know it's real"? Are you Kidding me? I don't believe ANY consumers are that gullible.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne1944
Ummm.... You do realize the outrageous amount of fraud in involved with the Autograph Markets of any hobby sector? That's the VERY reason these Third Party Graders have taken advantage of sucking fee's out of collectors for their verification services.

"All consumers know it's real"? Are you Kidding me? I don't believe ANY consumers are that gullible.

Yes I understand the grandiosity of fraud. Here are my points with this particular comic:
1. Certificate of Authenticity from Midtown - pretty darn legit. I live in the NY area and have gone to the Midtown signings. They are as legit as can be when accompanied by a COA.
2. Brian K. Vaughn - When his signature barely increases the value of a comic, there is no incentive for anyone to mastermind his autograph.
3. Seek out other comics with a Brian K. Vaughan autograph and study it... study the various ones with yellow labels. If you're a fan of Brian K. Vaughan and compare side by side. I would give this #3 the least amount of value within the 3 items, but it is not insignificant.
#4 Brian K. Vaughan does a bunch of conventions a year so he is on the convention circuit and not that hard to obtain. He is (thankfully) not deceased or a recluse like Ditko.

When I combine all these probabilities - yea.... all consumers know this particular comic with this particular signature is real.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector robertofredrico private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony
First time caller long time listener !! So I sent this to cgc, and it came back like this. Now I'm no grader by any means !! But a 8.5 because some kid named Brian K.FKN Vaughan wrote on the cover !!!! They know it's legit, but they want to play comic God's Should I crack it open, and get a red label on it ? It's a 9.4 all day long...

"Bryan" K. Vaughan?!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@Tony I will buy it as is. Are you selling?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector neyko private msg quote post Address this user
Brian is spelled differently than it is on the comic. Any reason for that?
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Gabriel85301 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Yes I understand the grandiosity of fraud. Here are my points with this particular comic:
1. Certificate of Authenticity from Midtown - pretty darn legit. I live in the NY area and have gone to the Midtown signings. They are as legit as can be when accompanied by a COA.
When I combine all these probabilities - yea.... all consumers know this particular comic with this particular signature is real.

I can easily make these. LOL .

Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel85301
Quote:
Quote:

Good point!
And my other 3 criteria?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
COA doesn't have a date...shouldn't it? I wold want Midtown to admit they goofed on these before believing this was legit.
Post 16 IP   flag post
I love fear mongering in full display.
It's such a wonderful sight.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
No date, plus name spelled wrong. I call BS on the whole thing. CGC made the right call.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Poor @Tony. We're bust in' his chops. I would ask midtown for a new coa with the correct spelling. That's unacceptable.

I believe a movie is in the works? So if you're looking to flip this book I'd seriously check the graders notes to make sure the artists signature is considered a defect that's dropped e grade a whole point. It seems odd they would give you the qualified label and a grade hot. Can you post the notes here?

I'm didn't look up the value of a 9.4 graded without sig, but is it worth e price of a red label, especially at the risk of a grade below 8.5? May be more profitable just to sell it raw. What's your plan for this comic?
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I love fear mongering in full display.
It's such a wonderful sight.

Bah! It's not fear mongering if we know how easy it is to forge something. It decreases the number of people interested whether its real or not. Signatures devalue my desire to own a comic. Having a COA with a typo makes it even less desirable to me.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@Tony Since it’s a green label then most likely the grade was not reduced because of the signature, legit or not. If you submitted the book yourself, I believe they give you free access to the grader’s notes. what do they say?

This is actually the correct answer... CGC's qualified grade works like this:

CGC ignores ONE defect that meets the criteria for falling into the qualified grade. Unwitnessed signatures being common. Other common "qualified" defects include a detached staple on the cover or detached centerfold, missing coupons or Marvel value stamps, a hole punched through the book or cover. The defect is ignored for the technical, numeric grade but the label is a green qualified label with the qualifying defect noted.

IT WOULD HAVE BEEN AN 8.5 EVEN IF CGC HAD WITNESSED THE SIGNATURE. IT WOULD BE AN 8.5 YELLOW LABEL. AND IF THERE WAS NO SIGNATURE ON THE COVER, IT WOULD STILL BE AN 8.5 - BUT A BLUE LABEL. Because that's how qualified grade works.

If sent to CBCS for their verified signature label - a program I like - the grade is likely to be less than 9.4. Hard to say what the grade will be because they are different grading companies. But grades are usually very similar. If sent to CBCS for a universal blue label (the signature not verified) the grade will actually be much worse than 8.5. Because CBCS doesn't have a "qualified" grade. If you don't pay to verify the signature then the signature is treated like writing on the cover. You are looking at 6.0-7.0 tops.

Someone else mentioned looking at the grading notes. Perhaps having the book pressed and CBCS's verified signature program can get the book to where you think it should be.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
I will never understand why anyone would want someone smearing their shitty signature all over the cover of a book 😒 Essentially destroying the purity of the cover and overall condition of said book!

It’s baffling to me on so many levels 😡
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user

lol
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@DocBrown Nice little video there.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector IntoAnother private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel85301
Quote:
Quote:

Good point!
And my other 3 criteria?

2. I’ve personally sold several signed BKV books for quite a bit more than equal grade blue labels of the same book. All were recorded by GPA so I’m sure it’s not difficult to find that his signature does add value. Like most other creators signatures though, it just has to be in the right book.

3. I’m not sure what point you’re trying to make here. Can you clarify?

4. Please let me know the “bunch” of conventions Brian has done lately, say in 2016 and 2017? I attend quite a few shows and have not seen him since the launch of Paper Girls in 2015 in NYC so I’d love to know what conventions I missed him at.
Post 26 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown

I am so entrenched in my position, even if you prove it and me wrong, I will not give it up because my belief in my position trumps your rationality and facts, thus making me a "useful idiot" to those who share my position.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector 1243782365 private msg quote post Address this user
If you look up other Midtown Comics COAs- They don't look like that.

Could be an old COA but I doubt it.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam

I am so entrenched in my position, even if you prove it and me wrong, I will not give it up because my belief in my position trumps your rationality and facts, thus making me a "useful idiot" to those who share my position.

Basically summarizes our current culture as a country. Don’t think we will be going back to the “good old times” when people actually debated and respected each other’s opinions. Get used to the new norm
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Gabriel85301 private msg quote post Address this user
Today's Challenge..IF you choose to accept..

Lets make some MIDTOWN COAS
Post 30 IP   flag post
601362 89 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.