Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help NeededQuestions

Trying my hand at grading - how'd I do?5244

Collector powerfist23 private msg quote post Address this user
Hello all,

First I want to thank those of you that replied to my previous grading post. Since that time, I've bought the Overstreet Grading Guide and having been trying to pay more attention to auctions and sales where the seller lists a grade to see as many examples as I can. I recently acquired 4 long boxes of comics that I am going to try and sell for a friend in a little bit of a financial bind. So I picked a few out to look over and give potential grades. I'm posting them here for your collective opinion.

First up Avengers 58

Giving this one a FN- (5.5)

Amazing Spider-Man 252

VF+ (8.5)

Nova 1

FN- (5.5)

Black Panther 1

F/VF (7.0)

Avengers 56

G/VG (3.0)

So how do you think I did? Too high/too low? I look forward to your reponses. Thanks.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Redshade private msg quote post Address this user
We have all looked at photos for instance on ebay which look like nice unblemished comics and found out that the actual comics themselves are full of faults which do not show up in the said photos. The comics here look to be nice mid to higher grade but until one has them in hand any opinions are, at best guesses.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
I think your grades look accurate based on the pictures you posted. Certainly more conservative than I've seen others grade, especially on ebay.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I think you're in the right direction. Maybe a slight bit too strict on the grades. I'd go a little bit higher than your conservative grades. Like others stated, there could be other flaws undetected on the interior pages.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Intersting, I'd go half a grade (0.5) lower...if anything to be a bit on the conservative side and reduce the risk of having someone want to return it for reasons @Redshade notes. I think you got the asm 252 and Black Panther about right, though.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
For now, you should incorporate the suffix "ish" often.

5.0 ish or 8.5 ish

Or something like 4.5/5.5 when in your opinion it is a 5.0

8.0/9.0 when in your opinion it is an 8.5
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
For now, you should incorporate the suffix "ish" often.

5.0 ish or 8.5 ish

Or something like 4.5/5.5 when in your opinion it is a 5.0

8.0/9.0 when in your opinion it is an 8.5

I wouldn't go with "ish." Just sounds corny/unprofessional.

And just keep in mind if you provide a "range" you'll likely get the lower of the range AND less people interested as they'll assume the worst is likely the true grade.

I recommend just saying your estimate on grade is this and why (state the major defects effecting grade), and here is about 1000 photos such that one can form their own opinion and bid accordingly.

Confidence sells. And honesty and being straight forward as you can be is always the best policy.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
@Drogio I agree.

@powerfist23
Also if you really want to do a range, refine your "grading" skills and then just give a +/- 1 or 2 grades on your estimate that way you avoid the "ish" part too.

Example:

If you think it's a 5.0 then you could say, VG - Fine (+/- 2)
If you think it's a 7.5 then you could say, F/VF - VF (+/- 1)

I'd use more or less grade range just depending on your uncertainty.
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Yea, like I said. Plus or minus. "ish". 7.0/8.0

All the same. Ballpark.

All just a best guess situation. Given the grading history of the OP.

As a buyer. Pictures are what counts when dealing with someone who does not have a history of grading prowess. I do appreciate a sellers best guess, but I would expect that to be just ballpark at best.

The problem is: fear of leaving something on the table. I get that. I just refuse to live that way. If I get seven dollars less for a mid grade Avengers, than I perhaps could have got. Well, somebody is happy. That buyer.

Make someone happy now and then. Quit trying to squeeze every last nickel out of every transaction.

Course, it's your book and money. So do what you want with it.

Okay, off my soapbox.
Post 9 IP   flag post
598006 9 9
This topic is archived. Start new topic?