Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

Ebay sellers - counteroffers5241

Collector comic_book_man private msg quote post Address this user
@KingNampa I think the best policy is to set buyer requirements and minimum offers, and talk to every customer who messages you within reason. This is a recipe for good customer service and smooth transactions with reputable prices/buyers you've allowed.

@poka Your personal preferences for what you expect don't translate well to eBay unless you make it known in the description, requirements, or via message. So I'd be clear in the listing, and if you're not specific, expect anything. Haha
Post 26 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
I set up my best offers to automatically decline anything that would be insulting to me. That way, any offers that make it to me are reasonable enough to try to negotiate.

@BabaLament my books are very reasonably priced. Except one. I always have one up that is a “I dont wanna sell this but for this price I will” book 😁

I "wondered" why that one was listed on your ebay page. Pretty "cheeky!"
Post 27 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
If I find a listing that is unreasonably high, (let's say a book is listed for $1,900, but the highest ever sales I can find is $1,300 and that was 5 years ago, with more recent sales in the $1,000 range), I offer $900 as my first offer. Do you consider that lowballing, or being realistic, or should I just move on if the seller really thinks they are going to get anything close to their asking price? (Or should I just consider a book priced that high a hostage situation with a ransom set and report it to the authorities?)
Post 28 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I think that's realistic actually. Can't fault anyone for shooting for the moon, right?
Post 29 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Lowballers on reasonably priced books should be ignored....Resonable offers on Highball priced books should be acknowledged.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
If I find a listing that is unreasonably high, (let's say a book is listed for $1,9000, but the highest ever sales I can find is $1,300 and that was 5 years ago, with more recent sales in the $1,000 range), I offer $900 as my first offer. Do you consider that lowballing, or being realistic, or should I just move on if the seller really thinks they are going to get anything close to their asking price? (Or should I just consider a book priced that high a hostage situation with a ransom set and report it to the authorities?)

An offer at 10% below (relative) FMV, is not lowballing.

Knowing the book in question has a lot to do with everything, as does the time line of the $1300 sale in relation to the $1000-ish sales...and if the book is trending upwards in general...and if the book is trending upwards due to a movie/TV character introduction etc.

If it is a rare book, rarely offered for sale , the only copy on ebay listed in months...and it now a more demand book due to a movie tie in, the $1300 high sale from 5 years ago really does not hold much relevance.

If it is a book that is genuinely tough,I could see paying the GPA high of $1300.

GPA is really just a guide, just like Overstreet.

Another thing that people do not take into account when analyzing GPA is how the book was listed .

Books sold with poor auction photos and/or listed with a partially misleading/wrong product description, auction ended at 3am in the morning on a Tuesday or 10am on a Monday etc etc... will pretty much invariably sell for very low prices.

Combine that with a book that is rarely offered for sale, and you have to really know the signifigance of the book to determine accurate FMV.

I picked up a mega DC war key for about $175 , a CGC 3.5 in a generation one holder, it will probably press up to a 5.0 after I get around to CPR'ing it....the auction had shitty pictures and the "product information was for another book. The pic of the slab also had some crusty brown stuff on the label, in 2 spots. It also ended at a very poor time.

I received the slab about 2 weeks back, it was packed w/plenty of bubblewrap. The brown crap flecked right off with my fingernail.

Wiped the slab down with some tissues, it looks fine now. I can more than likely crank it out at a $425 + shipping BIN pretty quickly , as is.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer Can you link to your shop? I have some post-holiday-OT on the next pay period, and papa needs a new pair of...comics.
Post 32 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
I set up my best offers to automatically decline anything that would be insulting to me. That way, any offers that make it to me are reasonable enough to try to negotiate.

@BabaLament my books are very reasonably priced. Except one. I always have one up that is a “I dont wanna sell this but for this price I will” book 😁

I "wondered" why that one was listed on your ebay page. Pretty "cheeky!"

Lol I’m pickin up what you’re puttin’ down man. Butt I actually think that one is going to sell, already had a few offers on it.

@BabaLament I dont sell much at all, on average only list 10-20 books at a time and only a few graded ones. I go through my boxes every few months and see what I no longer want, its usually somewhere in that 10-20 range lol. I sell just enough to keep the collection from growing too fast 😬 I’m here https://m.ebay.com/seller?sid=woodys_comics_and_stories
Post 33 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
If I find a listing that is unreasonably high, (let's say a book is listed for $1,900, but the highest ever sales I can find is $1,300 and that was 5 years ago, with more recent sales in the $1,000 range), I offer $900 as my first offer. Do you consider that lowballing, or being realistic, or should I just move on if the seller really thinks they are going to get anything close to their asking price? (Or should I just consider a book priced that high a hostage situation with a ransom set and report it to the authorities?)

You could do that but if the seller rejects your first offer outright that doesn't necessarily mean he is being unreasonable. There is a fine line between the offer that puts someone off and the offer that is just high enough to get them to the bargaining table.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by comic_book_man
@drchaos It had to have been, I'm looking at offers I have out there right now and next to my offers it has a minimum listed.

Maybe a seller counter releases the minimum?

My main share toward @poka was that I've had it were I made an offer, it was countered for less, I made another offer, and they countered more.

It just feels like trolling, since it's not different buyers bidding, it's the same seller lol.

Example:

Book listed @ $500.
I offer $375.
Seller counters @ $425.
I offer $400.
Seller counters @ $475.

I'm thinking...wait, what?!
WRONG DIRECTION!

Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
A lot of the times I wonder if sellers on comic sites are actually trying to sell their comics or there are buyers who don't know the current market value of a comic. I go to comic connect and look at the asking price for a comic I want and it usually is 1.5x to 2x current market value. I am looking at you Demon 1 sellers

A lot of the bin items for sale on comicconnect are items from metropolis and they don’t come cheap and hard to bargain with.
Post 36 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
This is a bad time of year to sell comics. It's a great time though to buy comics.
Post 37 IP   flag post
For low ballers I either have an auto decline set up or simply reject them. From time to time I get a message why I am not even making a counter offer - when that happens and buyer shows an interest I do provide a reasonable counteroffer. 9 out of 10 times that offer is running the full length of 48hrs.

Oh well - my block list is getting really long (lol) and sure will get longer - but might have to rethink whether I should block for a first time trolling.

Just like the buyer last week who make a reasonable offer which I accept. Don’t hear from him again - despite followed mails - so opened a non-payment case a few days ago. Immediately he message me and says “sorry I found a better deal. Have a nice day”

This is a newbie with 2 feedback, so I kindly reply him that given he may be relatively new to eBay he should be aware that once he makes an offer it is binding and he is meant to pay. He replies back - oh didn’t think it was a big deal.

Now - my initial thought was to block him, but given he responds and is new - I will give him another chance.

Worst are those who never replies.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaLament
@poka I've bid on a few of your items; I find your pricing acceptable and haven't tried to haggle you to death...yet.

Now I am curious
Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
This is a bad time of year to sell comics. It's a great time though to buy comics.

It used to be that way but honestly cannot tell. Been to the PO past 3 days with 40 packages

And for some of the keys I have bid on they still price and sell like there is no tmr.
Post 40 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
The last two weeks have been awesome for me.
Post 41 IP   flag post
@poka I didn't win; I get sniped out at the last second.
Post 42 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer The link no worky-worky sir.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
The ones that get me are those that make a low ball offer, but I'm looking to move the comic so I counter with my low offer typically just a few dollars more. Because one should never accept the first offer when it's way below your asking price...and then crickets for 48 hours...
Post 44 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Just like the buyer last week who make a reasonable offer which I accept. Don’t hear from him again - despite followed mails - so opened a non-payment case a few days ago. Immediately he message me and says “sorry I found a better deal. Have a nice day”

This is a newbie with 2 feedback, so I kindly reply him that given he may be relatively new to eBay he should be aware that once he makes an offer it is binding and he is meant to pay. He replies back - oh didn’t think it was a big deal.

Now - my initial thought was to block him, but given he responds and is new - I will give him another chance.

Sorry forgot the ending, he actually ended up paying for the comic realizing that he was going to get a non-payment record and that some sellers have a set-up that two non-payments within past 12 months may prevent him from buying the comics he wants.
Post 45 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
The ones that get me are those that make a low ball offer, but I'm looking to move the comic so I counter with my low offer typically just a few dollars more. Because one should never accept the first offer when it's way below your asking price...and then crickets for 48 hours...

And this is exactly why I ignore lowballers. What they do is lowball a ton of sellers hoping that even a very small percentage accept their initial lowball offer. I can't stand that. I completely understand "trying to get a deal" but there's a difference between getting a deal and trying to rip someone off. it's no good for the hobby itself too, to ever accept ridiculous lowball offers. it keeps ninnies like that motivated to continue lowballing. Aside from the fact that lowball offers are 9.9 times out of 10 a complete waste of the sellers time.
Post 46 IP   flag post
what i used to do was; when I got lowball offers and I was able to counter offer immediately after receiving it and I don't hear back within a couple of hours, I cancel my counter offer and block them.

these lowballers absolutely give me the impression they have no interest in making a mutually beneficial deal and are only interested in a one sided, favourable to them type of deal. they think the seller is stupid or they're "carpet bombing" lowball offers everywhere....i personally believe it's all 3.
Post 47 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio

Instead of getting insulted, sometimes its fun to do things like this as well. As a seller I’ve even done the “wrong direction” negotiation 🤷🏼‍♂️
Post 48 IP   flag post
Post 49 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
I adore low ball offers, I do. I have a bunch of fun with them. I don't mind such, I don't "get insulted" (for what? who the F@#k are you to be insulted?) and I completely understand the desire to attain something on the cheap, or if a seller is desperate. I would never BLOCK anyone for low ball offers I mean, really?

On a personal note; I have had some real gems when it comes to low ballers. I had an item up for $2,500 not long back and an offer comes in for...ready???? $250.00 ...that's correct boys and girls, 10% of asking price. I didn't get angry or insulted, but I laughed my ass off at the audacity, the gall, the unmitigated lack of reality displayed. Or that they were simply not serious at all.

I simply wrote him back, no counter, declined, with a message reading "Yeah, thank you for the offer. I would have accepted it two decades ago, no question. Good luck" I simply have fun with low ballers. Just part of the price of doing business
Post 50 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user

Post 51 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiot
I adore low ball offers, I do. I have a bunch of fun with them. I don't mind such, I don't "get insulted" (for what? who the F@#k are you to be insulted?) and I completely understand the desire to attain something on the cheap, or if a seller is desperate. I would never BLOCK anyone for low ball offers I mean, really?

On a personal note; I have had some real gems when it comes to low ballers. I had an item up for $2,500 not long back and an offer comes in for...ready???? $250.00 ...that's correct boys and girls, 10% of asking price. I didn't get angry or insulted, but I laughed my ass off at the audacity, the gall, the unmitigated lack of reality displayed. Or that they were simply not serious at all.

I simply wrote him back, no counter, declined, with a message reading "Yeah, thank you for the offer. I would have accepted it two decades ago, no question. Good luck" I simply have fun with low ballers. Just part of the price of doing business

you don't consider that offer a complete waste of your time to respond to? the low baller must be thinking either a.) the seller is completely ignorant to the true value of the book and therefore take advantage or b.) you're so desperate to sell maybe he'll get lucky. either way, he has a negative opinion about the seller.

he's not making an honest attempt for a genuine transaction or negotiation. he's trying to swindle.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

you don't consider that offer a complete waste of your time to respond to? the low baller must be thinking either a.) the seller is completely ignorant to the true value of the book and therefore take advantage or b.) you're so desperate to sell maybe he'll get lucky. either way, he has a negative opinion about the seller.

he's not making an honest attempt for a genuine transaction or negotiation. he's trying to swindle.

Yes, that is why you can laugh at low ballers.

I generally do not give an option for a Best Offer.

I think it is better to simply price books fairly, if ypur books are well represented, accurately graded with high res FC & BC scans with additiinal pics...and ypu grade accurately....and you offer a CGC & CBCS grade gusrantee on your lidtings, as I do and other sellers like Bedrock City offer, than your prices will be met, sooner or later.

I still get guys messaging me for offers, in spite of not including a Best Offer option.

Most of the time, the offers are too low, so I politely decline them.

Some of the times, the offers are fair so I cut deals (around 10-15% off), which will usually lead to the guy buying a few books off me, so this works.

I also give US buyers boxed priority shipping at a flat cost of $5, on any 2 or more raw books and/or slabs.

So if you have a reasonable marketing approach, offering a best offer option is IMO not the way to go.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

Waste of my time? Hell no 👍🏻 It’s actually an entertaining break in my day, or at least the minuets of my day 🧐
Post 54 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
lol
Post 55 IP   flag post
598080 63 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?