Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Signing Opportunities

Opening slab for signing5219

Collector donho private msg quote post Address this user
Hello. just a question. How would I open a graded book for signing? and would it be ok to do so? As in I may not be able to find a good copy of say marvel premiere number 50 in time for a con. and would it damage the book when I do open it. having trouble finding a good grade on ebay that I trust only by pics of the book without actually having it in my hands to see for myself. and if anyone can help me find a 9.2 copy or above for a fair uninflated price than I would appreciate it. thank you
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Opening a CBCS case isn't too difficult but you do need to be careful to avoid damaging the book. If you're taking the book to a convention where CBCS is present, you can take the book to their booth and have them crack open the book for you and they can then provide a witness for the signing, if that's what you're looking for.

To crack the book yourself, break off the two tabs on the top or bottom using a pair of pliers to allow you to slide the inner well out from the hard outer case. You must then use a razor, box cutter, or similar cutting edge to carefully cut the book out of the inner sleeve. Again, be careful as there is plenty of opportunity to damage the book if you try to remove it haphazardly.
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
I've done the latter plenty. See a good deal at a con and the artist or writer is present, drop the slab at the CBCS booth and have them take the book out. They are good about it.

Last time I did this, never mind damaging the comic, I got a grade bump from 9.4 to 9.6; they have magic tools
Post 3 IP   flag post
thank you this helps. just wasn't sure that it would ruin book or there were some kind of taboo stuff about this.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
Its probably also good to point out that if the slab you are cracking is yellow label (CGC or CBCS), you will not be able to crack it yourself (unless you are an authorized witness). Doing so will invalidate the witnessed signatures already on the book and you will be forced to submit VSP (red label). A CBCS AW or anyone at the CBCS booth can crack a yellow label slab for you and it will retain the validity of the signatures.
Post 5 IP   flag post
wouldn't think of opening a yellow unless I could get another signing of one who worked on the book. but didn't think of this until now and will only do so when they are t the con. which in this case is Planet Comicon in Kansas city starting February 16. thank you
Post 6 IP   flag post
597876 6 6
This topic is archived. Start new topic?