Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

What are you listening to?5175

I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
First period prep today at the HS, so I am correcting assignments and listening to Blue Oyster Cult’s Agents of Fortune on my Bluetooth speaker. Hoping that the kids that walk by my room pick up some musical intellect via diffusion.
Post 76 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Pre_Coder - You might appreciate this, back when I had a land-line the last four digits in my phone number where 2112.
Post 77 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
@Pre_Coder - You might appreciate this, back when I had a land-line the last four digits in my phone number where 2112.
That 2112 album really rocked. I wonder if there is a Rush comic book?
Post 78 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
Quote:

I think there is. One of the B&W biography series probably covered RUSH at some point.
Back when people used 4 number passwords for ATM cards and cash registers, it was a safe bet that a RUSH fan had 2112 as their password.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Post 80 IP   flag post

Post 81 IP   flag post
Post 82 IP   flag post
Post 83 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
Post 84 IP   flag post
Post 85 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
@X51 Cheap Trick, another one my favorite bands from the days.

I grew up to RUSH (their earlier stuff). Vital Signs was a very unique and simplistic song,... In fact VS was my username on a Message Forum many centuries ago. As far as their Moving Pictures album,. "The Camera Eye" was my favorite.
Post 86 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
Quote:

" Clockwork Angels" published by Boom. Not really a Rush comic, but a story written by Neil Peart (drummer). I have 2 copies of the limited series, but haven't read it.
Post 87 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre_Coder
I grew up on Rush, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple,.just to name a few. But the clock work perfection, music, and lyrical story telling of Rush is what captivated me. Pink Floyd was a close second but they weren't hyperactive enough.

In the mid 80's Rush stated, "we will never deviate, we will never conform"... Got news for ya homies, Yes You Did!

Geddy Lee no longer has the vocal chops, but that's nothing unusual with aged high-pitched vocal rock singers. But even today, Ged can take on any bass player on the planet.

Alex Lifeson, today has to use super-reverbs to compensate for his fat fingers.

Neil Peart, (my favorite drummer of all), sits back wearing his cap, with his snooty arrogant nose stuck so high in the air, a crow could fly by and build a nest on it.

Sorry, RUSH,... you deviated - you conformed!

But at least you did it with authenticity.

The music I grew up to is 1980' - 1990's era hardcore and punk rock.

At 42, I have nil interest in listening to bands like Minor Threat and The Dead Kennedys😉😂😂😂

If I did, that would be pathologically sad and pathetic.

I do like some classic rock like The Who and Led Zeppelin,but even that stuff is too noisy for my current taste.

Now, I listen to mellow stuff like The National and early 1990's to mid it's jazz ; Lee Morgan, Miles and Coltrane.

But mostly low fi, melodic stuff like The National.

The Alabama Shakes are a band you would probably like, if you haven't heard of them.

They have a 70 rock/soul feel to them, kinda of like Zeppelin. I dig 'em.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=%23&ved=0ahUKEwjBw4-02_fZAhWRmuAKHXVKC88QwqsBCC0wAQ&usg=AOvVaw0VTJzWxrN8ZFOD4xbU2nov
Post 88 IP   flag post
Black Sabbath w/RJDio

Post 89 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

For the Cheap Trick fans
Post 90 IP   flag post
Collector rejaak private msg quote post Address this user

Post 91 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
Back in October of last year, I moved to Austin, Texas. Last week was SXSW here in Austin, and I was able to see many bands play during the past week. If you are unfamiliar with SXSW, for a week, there several different festivals including music, film, gaming and comedy. I just did music and since I was working during the day all week, I barely scratched the surface of what was available.

The music acts are mainly new, up and coming bands/artists. All genres available to see, so no matter what your tastes are, you will find something you like.

I'll post links to some YouTube videos of some of the bands that I saw and that I liked. You can also check out the SXSW artist page which lists all the artists that attended. They have links so you can sample some of their music. Also, NPR makes a list of 100 songs that you can stream or download. Links below.

clickable text

clickable text
Post 92 IP   flag post
Bully is a grunge rock band from Nashville. Their show was certainly high energy. Glad I didn't end up in the mosh pit for this one. I might have gotten hurt.

Post 93 IP   flag post
Catholic Action is an indie rock band from Glasgow Scotland. Loved them. If you're not at least tapping your foot to this song, I might need to check your pulse. Anyone from the UK should check them out when they get back.

Post 94 IP   flag post
Jade Bird is also from the UK. She put on a great show. Would love to see her again. As I put in the last post, if you are in the UK, check her out.

Post 95 IP   flag post
Jukebox the Ghost is from New York. They might be a bit too pop-ish for me, but they are certainly talented. They ended the show with a great cover of Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody, which is not easy to pull of, but they did.

Post 96 IP   flag post
@Lonestar - My daughter was at SXSW last week as a photographer. I will ask her if she has any pics of it posted anywhere yet.
Post 97 IP   flag post
Lastly, Thunderpussy from Seattle. They are an all female hard rock/alternative rock band. Don't let the name fool you, they are no joke. These women rock. Since I saw them twice, I'll post two videos. They deserve it. At the last show, the drummer threw one of her drumsticks into the crowd, which I caught. She was nice enough after the show to take a picture with me.

Post 98 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
@Lonestar I wasn’t able to make it this year, but that’s annually a great show. You’re lucky; anytime I want to see a show I have to go north of Houston to the Woodlands.

I’v been listening to a lot of Audiomachine & Two Steps From Hell. Modern classical is pretty neat, and these two groups do a lot of the music from games & films I enjoy.
Post 99 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Lonestar - My daughter was at SXSW last week as a photographer. I will ask her if she has any pics of it posted anywhere yet.

Please do. I'd be interested. I'd be curious to hear what bands/artists she saw and enjoyed.
Post 100 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
Non-stop Grateful Dead over here. With the occasional jazz or classical selection.
Post 101 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Rush Limbaugh.
Post 102 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Judas Priest's latest album "Firepower"!!! If you like 80's metal, this album ROCKS!!! Well, so far anyway. I haven't listened to all the tracks yet.

Post 103 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke

For the Cheap Trick fans

I got to see a partially drunk Robin Zander sing Wild Thing with dirty lyrics at a club after one of their shows. He had Steve Walsh from Kansas doing back up vocals. Actually, I saw Steve Walsh walk up to the ticket booth at one of their shows trying to get in to see the band. I looked at the guy in front of me and said "That's Steve Walsh." The guy says back, "Yeah, Joe's brother." I almost died laughing.

I have the movie poster and comic adaption of Rock n' Rule which wasn't released until many years after it was made.
Post 104 IP   flag post
Figuratively, not literally.

Post 105 IP   flag post
598059 999 30