Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgeGrading Help Needed

Grade help please!5172

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Seller claims 9.0.

This is my grail at 8.0 (minimum).

I don't think it's a 9.0. But if we agree it's an 8.0, I'm in.

They claim to be the original owner. I've e-mailed them to ask about restoration.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector vacaboca private msg quote post Address this user
The pictures aren't great, but I can't see this being anywhere near an 8.0 :/ presumably others will be a better eye than I.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Yeah. These are the pics he provided.

It looks like maybe 6.5. It's a pretty sharp copy for its age, but a 9.0 it is not.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
That book is no higher than a Fine 6.0 in my opinion. Oh, furthermore, any seller claiming said book to be a VF/NM 9.0 copy? I would not buy from!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Elvinv private msg quote post Address this user
Definetly not an 8.0
5.5-6.5
Is that tape back cover top right corner?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Deadpoolica private msg quote post Address this user
Post 6 IP   flag post
I saw that. That picture is in the bag, so, it might be on the bag. But if not, that's huge.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector gman private msg quote post Address this user
not an 8.0...the top front cover brings it down. Leave it in a mylar and admire.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Thanks, guys, I'll pass on it.

I got excited and almost jumped on it before inspecting it close enough. It was within my budget & supposedly my target grade. Appreciate the help.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Thanks, guys, I'll pass on it.

I got excited and almost jumped on it before inspecting it close enough. It was within my budget & supposedly my target grade. Appreciate the help.

I would recommend you buy a certified copy, this book is way off on an 8.0 or better grade.
Post 10 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Oh hell no that thing is a hunk of shit. Wait and buy one you can see better. I zoomed in for 2 seconds and said not anywhere near a 8.0
Post 11 IP   flag post
I also noticed it's miswrapped at the staples. I believe that's a full grade drop.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
I also noticed it's miswrapped at the staples. I believe that's a full grade drop.

No the miswrap will not drop the grade. It’s the tanning, edge tears, dirty dinging cover, creases, and tape on spine. Will drop this below a fine.
Post 13 IP   flag post
True. I was just pointing out the miswrap as an additional issue.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Thanatos private msg quote post Address this user
Between the tape on the spine and damage to the top center on the front cover, no way this ever had a chance at a 8.0. I can't imagine what resource the seller is using to grade his comics? Glad you didn't impulsively send this guy the funds for this comic, you can definitely do better. I know how bad you want that 8.0, you'll find it in time!
Post 15 IP   flag post
Thanks, @Thanatos. πŸ‘πŸΌ

Yeah, the tape is a real killer. If I'd got it in the mail & saw tape on it, I would have been pissed.
Post 16 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
based on some of my other books: 5.0-5.5 looks like a 3/4" tear on the top with a huge 2.5-3" color break crease on the top, another 2.5 bend on the back running near the lower staple, and a bunch of other imperfections. no way of a snowball in hell a 9.0. if thats a 9.0, then i have a 10.1 hulk 181.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
:popcorn:
Post 18 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Your New Year's resolution should be to buy a better scanner.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Oh, these pics are from the e-bay listing. πŸ‘πŸΌ
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I think we've well established this is well below 8.0. But another way to confirm the seller is a high risk of overgrazing is to look at his/her other auctions...see if they also are suspect.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Yeah. I'm definitely passing on it.

Looks like he doesn't often assert grades. He has a Tales of Suspense 57 he claims is 9.2-9.4.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F142643773266
Post 22 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Didn't I some it up in my original post?
Post 23 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiot
That book is no higher than a Fine 6.0 in my opinion. Oh, furthermore, any seller claiming said book to be a VF/NM 9.0 copy? I would not buy from!

Much Agreed. Also the lack of a detailed description and awful Scan/Pics is more than enough to land this hack on my "Do Not Buy" From list.
Post 24 IP   flag post
You certainly did, @earthshaker01. You're the man.
Post 25 IP   flag post
600736 25 25
This topic is archived. Start new topic?