Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Copper AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver Age

Must Have Single Issues For Your Library5155

Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel85301
I remember once having a two hour conversation about this book.

Claremont did the best character "filler" issues, didn't he? This was a great one! Helps push forward the relationship of some of the X-Men, we see a different side of Juggy, and it's a great knock down, drag out... Love it.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Recent addition has to be Batman Annual 2. Just an amazing self-contained story out of time. SO well-written and drawn. This one will stand up, I think. I keep snagging copies, just because I want to be able to hand them to friends, so they can read them (less concerned about condition with the extra copies). I think I have six or seven at the moment, but only three are in high grade shape, methinks.

Post 27 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user

OO

mm
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
This technology isn't a single issue, but when I found out about this reprint I had to have it for my library.

It reprints Spidey 121 & 122 in one issue. It's very cool to have the death of Gwen Stacey & the follow-up death of Green Goblin in a single issue.

And isn't that cover cool?
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
This technology isn't a single issue, but when I found out about this reprint I had to have it for my library.

It reprints Spidey 121 & 122 in one issue. It's very cool to have the death of Gwen Stacey & the follow-up death of Green Goblin in a single issue.

And isn't that cover cool?

That looks familiar.

My copy is beat to hell because I've probably read it 15 times over the years. Excellent recommendation.

Post 30 IP   flag post

Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
I liked a lot of the old Marvel Fanfare issues. This one was particularly good ... just a fun read.

Post 31 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Marvel Tales #192? Outstanding choice!

Ive always been very fond of the Marvel Tales Title. It gave so many the chance to see and Read classic early Spiderman stories that they otherwise might never be able to.

In 1982 they repinted Amazing Fantasy #15 and then continued monthy with #1, #2 Etc.. All with the original Covers!

Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector DJC_II private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastbard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio

YES!!!!

Really eh?
It's a popular one for signings at cons but I've never read this one
Post 33 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Oh, here's one I'd highly recommend.

It's basically Paul Dini's autobiography, but it focuses on a night he was mugged & nearly beaten to death.

It's about overcoming incredibly dark times, and Batman villains are used to represent different obstacles in his life.

It's incredibly poignant.
Post 34 IP   flag post
@DJC_II YES, it's deeply moving, I think. They were all living in NY during 9/11, and they wrote the scripts and drew the issues RAW. You can tell on this one in particular. Not a word in the book. WOW.
Post 35 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
I liked a lot of the old Marvel Fanfare issues. This one was particularly good ... just a fun read.

Kind of reminds me of this:

Post 36 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Metal Men #21
Here's a quaint, fun story. As I go back and read some of these Metal Men books, it's obvious the writers were willing to go places with the Metal Men that they would never go with their mainstay characters.
The story includes the Metal Men reading what appear to be actual fan letters and uses them as the basis of the story. A neat little plot device I don't think I've ever seen used before.
Also, it's interesting that on the cover, the Plastic Perils look more menacing than the goofy look they have in book. Makes me think they were re-imagined for the cover to give them a more serious and threatening feel.
Here's the cover with a few out takes.

Post 37 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I mentioned this book in another thread but the Marvel 75th Anniversary Omnibus has a lot of great 1 and 2 issue-stories, including some that have been mentioned here.

Post 38 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid

I enjoyed some of the Marvel Fanfare Issues as well. My favorite....

Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector Mickcatron private msg quote post Address this user
@thelastbard - 100% agree with Batman Annual 2, one of the best stories I've read in a long time.
Post 40 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
You are not going to make a lot of money with this one but I remember enjoying the 48 page story when I read it.

Post 41 IP   flag post
600465 41 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?