Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Restoration and ConservationGrading Help NeededQuestions

Rusty staple (And migration) affect on grade5096

Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
Can anyone give me either policy or experience with what affect a rusty staple has on the grade of a comic.

Specifically I have a key Bronze Age book that is beautiful except the top staple has rust and a rust stain around the bottom part of the staple. Let's say it's a 9.4 without the rust/migration.

Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
I had a silver age book that got a 9.4 with "slight rust on top staple" and no migration, but that was with CGC.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
A picture of the defect goes a long ways towards a quality accurate response. It’s like saying I have a high grade comic with a crease, now what does it grade.

With rust migration, what does the centerfold look like. That’s a critical part of grading a book with rusty staples.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer
A picture of the defect goes a long ways towards a quality accurate response. It’s like saying I have a high grade comic with a crease, now what does it grade.

With rust migration, what does the centerfold look like. That’s a critical part of grading a book with rusty staples.

No migration at centerfold, nor do I see any anywhere else in the book.

Attaching pictures front and back (stain is evident)

Post 4 IP   flag post
That rust migration is pretty severe. I’d drop it to 8.0 range. Thanks for the image.
Post 5 IP   flag post
The book does look to be in the 9.4 range without the rust migration.
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
That staple needs to be pulled and/or cleaned, otherwise its only going to get worse from here.

I had a 6.0 book move UP to 6.5 after dry cleaning out rust migration from a slightly rusted staple. The book looked worse, as there was a bit of ink missing after the clean (had to be done). Kind of like restoration, no matter the cost to presentation its usually better to just remove it.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
8.5 is probably the best you can hope for, but, roll them bones if you can! Then let us know. Had a 9.4 but I sold it, I personally like the 199 cover better for my wall.
Post 8 IP   flag post
596794 8 8
This topic is archived. Start new topic?