Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Restoration and ConservationComics Silver Age

Restoration/Conservation Question5087

Collector Etkt private msg quote post Address this user
My apologies if this issue has been covered before. My question has to do with the categorization of "married" wraps, both in terms of labeling and the impact it has on the value of a comic book. The particulars are as follows: recently received back a silver-age Amazing Spider-Man #19 which was graded by CBCS as 8.5, with Off-White/White pages. The term "Married" appears in the top left corner of the slab above the assigned grade. Further, in the center of the blue label is the phrase "3rd, 4th, 5th & 6th wrap married." I readily admit that I was unaware of the situation when I sent it in for grading.

In any event, my understanding is that prior to grading a comic CBCS checks for any restoration or conservation and if any is found CBCS will include a list of all the work detected on the label, classifying it as either conserved or restored. Neither of these terms is on the label.

First question: are these married wraps considered conservation or restoration?

Second question: does anyone have any idea what impact these married wraps has on the value of this book, as a rough percentage, as compared to a similar copy that doesn't have this issue?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
This book is restored, there is no specific percentage value for a restored book based on non restored. Variables from what type of restoration, grade, demand for the book. I would estimate its current value around $50-$100 with married pages.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Homer, thanks for your reply to my inquiry. I appreciate your time.

Just to let you know, I asked CBCS via email to directly address the issue of married wraps as restoration. They replied today with the following:

"We do not consider married pages restoration. It does however get noted as "Married" on the label for full disclosure."

This explains the lack of the "Restored" label on the label as I have seen on some books listed on eBay. As I originally stated, the term "Married" is prominently displayed on the label of the book in question.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Thanks for the CBCS clarification. Upon further investigation with CGC its a qualified label, not restored.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I understand the desire to try to equate CBCS with CGC labels. I would like to do so as well. It is my understanding, however, that CBCS does not have a "qualified" label.

Similarly, I read an article that states that the CBCS "certified" label is the equivalent of CGC's "universal" label (http://www.gradedkeycomics.com/2016/07/cbcs-comic-book-certification-service.html). There are numerous examples of CGC comics on eBay that state "CGC Universal Grade" on their labels. CBCS labels have changed over time. I can see an example on eBay right now of a Superman #7 that states "CBCS Certified Comic" on the label. There is also a copy of Action Comics #11 on eBay that has "Certified Grade" under the CBCS logo, yet it is a restored comic. None of the comics that I have recently received back from CBCS include the "CBCS Certified Comic" label or "Certified Grade" label mentioned above. While they are all identified as "Certified" under my "Dashboard" and "My Comics" on the CBCS site, the labels themselves are simply blue and include the grade assigned, and in the case of Amazing Spider-Man 19, the desriptor "Married". I have another comic on the way back to me now that is also labeled as "Certified" in my dashboard but is "restored" with color touch. In other words, CBCS's "Certified" cannot be equated with CGC's "Universal" any longer. I believe that CBCS, when it states "certified" on the dashboard, is simply stating that the comic has been graded (and a grade has been assigned). If there has been any restoration, conservation, or other unusual item discovered in their review process, it will be noted on the label and in any supporting grader notes.

I don't believe that the marketplace would view my ASM #19 the same as another identically graded comic that did not have married wraps. I do believe that these companies have different approaches to their labeling and grading and that CBCS does not have a "qualified" grade that would equate to CGC's.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer
This book is restored, there is no specific percentage value for a restored book based on non restored. Variables from what type of restoration, grade, demand for the book. I would estimate its current value around $50-$100 with married pages.

I don't agree with this, and neither do the grading companies. Restoration is adding to a book to improve its asthetics. Conservation is adding to a book to prevent further deterioration, but not necessarily to improve appearance. Marrying is just exchanging parts amongst the same issued comic; all the parts are original to that issue, just across several copies of the same comic.

I've considered doing is for comics whose covers are immaculate, but pages are off white or tan. But not to send them in to grade or sell...just because I want a better looking copy.

As to the value...I have to think it's better than restored or conserved...but depends on the buyer. If it's a key issue hard to find in high grade, maybe it's worth 50-75% of non married.

Here's a thought...would you rather have a 9.2 action #1 or Tect #27 un modified or a 9.8 Action #1 / Tech 27 with a married cover and/or pages?
Post 6 IP   flag post
https://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=4083&

Cgc does consider marrying pages restoration. A book is worth what someone will pay.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Thanks for the CBCS clarification. Upon further investigation with CGC its a qualified label, not restored.
Quote:

Cgc does consider marrying pages restoration. A book is worth what someone will pay.

I guess I'm confused. I thought cgc had separate labels for qualified (green) vs. restored (purple). I'll see if I can find some cgc comics that are married on eBay for examples.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:

Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:

Site contradicts its product.

clickable text
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
I enjoy reading this thread...it's a subject that's outside my limited knowledge base. But I did just scan some Golden age eBay books this week and I saw the Superman 7 and a few others that confused me. There were one or two (wish I remembered which ones) that also had "small amount of color touch" listed on the label and it was still CGC blue...why? Also saw some replaced staples noted but still blue ?

The married pages I'm still trying to figure out as well..saw a few of them ..
Post 11 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
what is going on right now

Post 12 IP   flag post
Cgc recognizes marrying pages as restoration and it’s given a rating scale, level of quality, with a purple restored cgc label when there is additional restoration beyond the married page or cover. CGC Green label is an apparent grade forgiving a major flaw which can be a married page or married cover. So by giving it a green label means they are not observing the restoration of the married page.
Post 13 IP   flag post
A hulk 181 missing the stamp can get a green cgc qualified grade of say an 8.0. Which means the book would be an 8.0 if the stamp was present. That is an example of a major flaw that is overlooked with the green label. If the book is graded accurately it would be incomplete either a 0.5 or 1.0 range blue label.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Cbcs does not have a purple restored label or green qualified label. They stick with blue labels and indicate restoration and flaws in text on the label. Which can be a problem on eBay if the seller does not have super clear images of the label.
Post 15 IP   flag post
596796 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?