Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Copper AgeMovies Television

HBO’s Watchmen TV Show Sets March Filming St5073

I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
HBO’s Watchmen TV Show Sets March Filming Start Date

By Sandy Schaefer 22 hours ago

HBO and Damen Lindelof’s Watchmen TV show has set a March 2018 filming start for its pilot episode. The small screen adaptation of Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons’ landmark Watchmen comic book marks the second collaboration between HBO and Lindelof, following their work together on the TV adaptation of Tom Perrotta’s novel The Leftovers. Although HBO put in an official order for Lindelof’s Watchmen pilot this past September, there have not been any formal casting announcements for the series, as of yet.

The Watchmen comics were published from 1986-87 and later adapted for the big screen by filmmaker Zack Snyder (300, Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice, Justice League) in 2009. DC Comics Chief Creative Officer Geoff Johns is currently making waves with Doomsday Clock, a comic book sequel to Watchmen that was announced earlier this year and began its run back in mid-November. Whereas the original Watchmen is a superhero story set primarily in an alternate version of Cold War-era New York in the 1980s, Doomsday Clock takes place in 1992 in the same reality. It’s not yet clear, however, if Lindelof has any plans to draw from Johns’ sequel for his TV iteration of the Watchmen universe.

RELATED: DAMON LINDELOF WANTS WATCHMEN TV SHOW TO BE ‘DANGEROUS’

THS is reporting that the Watchmen TV pilot will begin production in March, indicating that casting announcements for the show will start arriving over the next two to three months. HBO hasn’t ordered the project to series just yet, but the network did order additional episode scripts to go along with the Watchmen pilot back in September.

Snyder’s Watchmen stars Patrick Wilson (The Conjuring), Jackie Earle Haley (The Tick), Malin Åkerman (Billions), Billy Crudup (Justice League), Matthew Goode (The Crown), and Jeffrey Dean Morgan (The Walking Dead) as the typically very damaged and/or dangerous superheroes of the Watchmen universe. The film was a mixed success upon its initial release in theaters, drawing mostly positive – if split – reviews from critics and earning $185 million at the global box office against a $130 million production budget. Over time, however, Snyder’s adaptation has taken on semi-cult status, thanks in no small part to the release of a Watchmen Director’s Cut that restores much of the original narrative substance of Moore and Gibbons’ source material.

Lindelof is no stranger to polarizing work either. The Leftovers ran for three seasons and, depending on who you ask, was either a lyrically dark meditation on grief or a depressing waste of time. The screenwriter also divided audiences and critics alike with his Lost finale, as well as his ambitious scripts for sci-fi films like Ridley Scott’s Prometheus and Brad Bird’s Tomorrowland. He’s never been one to back away from challenging material, in that respect.

A Watchmen adaptation requires a willingness to both push people’s buttons and wrestle with often morose and sometimes downright horrifying subject matter, regardless of what medium it’s for. Based on his previous work, Lindelof fits the bill on both counts and is as qualified as anyone else to try his hand at a TV version of the property. Perhaps the question now is, who will watch the Watchmen… on the small screen (apologies)?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
I was disappointed in the Watchman movie, so I'm excited about this. I haven't seen anything about casting yet. Will be interesting to see who they cast for this.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Yay! Dr. Manhattan is wearing underwear! Decency at last!
Post 4 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Remember that scene? On the ship? aw yeah
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I like Rorschach a lot. Great character.

No compromise. Never surrender.

Not to mention his first name is Walter.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

Oh come on X ...are your attempting to convince us you don’t like a blue Penis hanging in your face? 😕
Post 7 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
I like Rorschach a lot. Great character.

No compromise. Never surrender.

Not to mention his first name is Walter.

Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

Oh come on X ...are your attempting to convince us you don’t like a blue Penis hanging in your face? 😕

I know it may be hard for you to swallow, but I really don't.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

I know it may be hard for you to swallow, but I really don't.

Post 10 IP   flag post
601271 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?