Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Silver AgeQuestions

I'm sure it's a temporary but, thoughts?5042

Collector Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
@Tedsaid @X51
You guys get my vote if you run for president. Bravo! Well done indeed!
Post 126 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
CGC" is not a "synonym for "graded comic book." "CGC" is a brand name. And I suspect the folks at CBCS would not take kindly to having CGC be synonymous with "graded comic book.


Sorry but this is no longer true. “CGC it” is now a common term among collectors. As is “CGC’d” among artists and creators when charging more for a witnessed book.

CGC has successfully trancended the noun into verbs and adjectives. Congrats to them, it’s the best advertising one can have (and free!).


And no, I’m not saying this just to piss you off. While I very much appreciate the anonymous gesture, and though theres missing context, I’ll own it.


This is your opinion, and it is not supported by the facts. Merely being a "common term" does not make it synonymous, like "Xerox" (which has faded) or "bubble wrap." Here's why:

When people talk about getting something "CGC'd", they're not talking about it being generically graded by just anyone. They mean to specifically have it graded by CGC. If someone says "CGC it!" they're not talking about sending it to PGX, for example, which has been around almost as long as CGC. If they mean generically graded by anyone, they'll say "graded."

"Bubble wrap", however, is a brand name which now is used to refer to ANY type of "bubble packing material", not just the brand name trademarked by the Sealed Air Corp.

This is called "bubble wrap", no matter who makes it:




But this IS NOT called "CGC'd":




And "artists and creators", who nearly universally don't slab, and know next to nothing about the graded comics industry, aren't the "go to" guys for determining how common this usage is.

But more importantly, that has nothing to do with the fact that CGC is still a brand name, and falls under eBay's prohibition against using brand names that aren't the product you're selling, which was the original point of this long, laborious discussion.

As to your other comment, there's no context missing that would alter the meaning of the statement, which is the function of context. And don't make the mistake of assuming that you're successful at it. The comment is about your motive, not my reaction. It's not a complaint, but an exposition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
@Tedsaid @X51
You guys get my vote if you run for president. Bravo! Well done indeed!


Yeah, Eff that DocBrown guy, man, screw him! That guy's such a jerk.
Post 127 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
How do you people have so much free time on your hands to type entire novels of replies to each other?! I don't think I've typed that much all year!
Post 128 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
How do you people have so much free time on your hands to type entire novels of replies to each other?! FFS I don't think I've typed that much all year!


Fast typing.
Post 129 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
How do you people have so much free time on your hands to type entire novels of replies to each other?! FFS I don't think I've typed that much all year!


Fast typing.


And a passion for details, which would make sense in the graded comics business.
Post 130 IP   flag post


COLLECTOR kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Well I type pretty fast myself but woah. You guys are just arguing over arguing at this point.
Post 131 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Well I type pretty fast myself but woah. You guys are just arguing over arguing at this point.


Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous. If people don't want to argue, the answer is to stop arguing. No one can argue by themselves, despite claims of wives' behavior. You can't complain about other people arguing if you're still arguing yourself.
Post 132 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
@Tedsaid @X51
You guys get my vote if you run for president. Bravo! Well done indeed!


I have to be civil at work when I tell management that a million dollar product that needs to ship has a quality flaw. Then I have to be civil when the head of engineering tells everyone I'm wrong about something, and then later concedes that I'm right after he drug my name through the mud in emails for a week.
Post 133 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Ouch
Post 134 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Too bad there's not a character limit on this board.
Post 135 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
Too bad there's not a character limit on this board.


It doesn't bother me because I quit reading when the responses get absurdly long.
Post 136 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
@Tedsaid @X51
You guys get my vote if you run for president. Bravo! Well done indeed!


I have to be civil at work when I tell management that a million dollar product that needs to ship has a quality flaw. Then I have to be civil when the head of engineering tells everyone I'm wrong about something, and then later concedes that I'm right after he drug my name through the mud in emails for a week.


Good thing I am neither management nor the head of engineering, huh?

You're not being civil here, as you well know and intend. Being civil means not taking subtle swipes at people, simply because they make arguments you don't like and you can't answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
Too bad there's not a character limit on this board.


It doesn't bother me because I quit reading when the responses get absurdly wrong.


Edited to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

It doesn't bother me because I quit reading when the responses get absurdly long.


Careful now. Your true colors are showing.

When you make it personal, you have lost the argument. That's just the way it goes. As subtle as you may try to be, when you make it personal, you are admitting that you have nothing valid to say.

Don't be angry. Don't be offended. And don't pretend you're not; people who aren't offended don't make the comment above that you just made. Just think about that. When the comments are about a person, rather than a topic, that's when you've crossed the line.
Post 137 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
Too bad there's not a character limit on this board.


From the "New Message Board Atmosphere" thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ricketts
> Lengthy replies (in and of themselves) are not against forum rules, nor are they a personal attack on anyone. If a member makes a lengthy post and you don’t like it, don’t read it. Don’t report it to a moderator (unless it contains content that violates our rules) and don’t complain about it in the thread. Just move on. Members who do could be perceived as Trolling, and thus could be subject to disciplinary action if moderation decides that is the case.


Make of that what you will.
Post 138 IP   flag post
Collector Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Yeah, Eff that DocBrown guy, man, screw him! That guy's such a jerk.

I don't think you're a jerk. Who said that? Maybe you shouldn't read into stuff like that, assume people are insulting you? Man, that would be horrible, thinking that all the time when it isn't true.

You may have a compulsion to respond to every single point. And you are quite pedantic, especially about (sometimes incorrect) definitions; but that doesn't make you a jerk. If I said, "Man, that's a nice sunset," you'd be like, "Technically it's not a sunset until the sun crosses the plain of the horizon." But you aren't doing it on purpose, I reckon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
When people talk about getting something "CGC'd", they're not talking about it being generically graded by just anyone. They mean to specifically have it graded by CGC.

Hmm ... I'm just gonna put this here: Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Try not to disrespect them by assuming you speak for them. You don't. Neither do I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Later you said, "Context IS EVERYTHING." Actually, it's not here. But it is in some places, I'll grant you that.

Actually, it is. Context is everything, everywhere, all the time.

Yeah, that was a joke. I get it: it was pretty subtle, easy to miss. You can maybe go back and read it again? It's okay, I'll wait...
Post 139 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Yeah, Eff that DocBrown guy, man, screw him! That guy's such a jerk.

I don't think you're a jerk. Who said that? Maybe you shouldn't read into stuff like that, assume people are insulting you? Man, that would be horrible, thinking that all the time when it isn't true.

You may have a compulsion to respond to every single point. And you are quite pedantic, especially about (sometimes incorrect) definitions; but that doesn't make you a jerk. If I said, "Man, that's a nice sunset," you'd be like, "Technically it's not a sunset until the sun crosses the plain of the horizon." But you aren't doing it on purpose, I reckon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
When people talk about getting something "CGC'd", they're not talking about it being generically graded by just anyone. They mean to specifically have it graded by CGC.

Hmm ... I'm just gonna put this here: Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Try not to disrespect them by assuming you speak for them. You don't. Neither do I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Later you said, "Context IS EVERYTHING." Actually, it's not here. But it is in some places, I'll grant you that.

Actually, it is. Context is everything, everywhere, all the time.

Yeah, that was a joke. I get it: it was pretty subtle, easy to miss. You can maybe go back and read it again? It's okay, I'll wait...


Oh, brother.

I waited for THAT...?

Yes, "tedsaid", your "point" has been made...badly, and wrongly in most cases, but the attempt was there, such as it was.

Now...are we going to go back to talking about subjects that aren't me, or are you intent on obsessing about me, personally, for the rest of the day...?
Post 140 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Oh, by the way "tedsaid"...if you're intent on breaking the rules on eBay, as you forthrightly stated you were (kudos for your honesty!), might I ask if you sell on eBay, and if so, what your user name is...?

People like to keep track of these sorts of things.
Post 141 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 142 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
Too bad there's not a character limit on this board.


From the "New Message Board Atmosphere" thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ricketts
> Lengthy replies (in and of themselves) are not against forum rules, nor are they a personal attack on anyone. If a member makes a lengthy post and you don’t like it, don’t read it. Don’t report it to a moderator (unless it contains content that violates our rules) and don’t complain about it in the thread. Just move on. Members who do could be perceived as Trolling, and thus could be subject to disciplinary action if moderation decides that is the case.


Make of that what you will.



No. It’s just a fact you type a novel worth of text in response to almost the most mundane of posts 🤔 Absurdly long and laborious amounts of letters! Yep, it’s MY opinion, and no question that of myriad others. It’s your choice of course, but most here I’ll assume just tune your posts out because of it. Frankly, I’d bet a large amount of Gold most don’t care anywhere near to the degree your efforts hope 👍🏻
Post 143 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
Too bad there's not a character limit on this board.


From the "New Message Board Atmosphere" thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ricketts
> Lengthy replies (in and of themselves) are not against forum rules, nor are they a personal attack on anyone. If a member makes a lengthy post and you don’t like it, don’t read it. Don’t report it to a moderator (unless it contains content that violates our rules) and don’t complain about it in the thread. Just move on. Members who do could be perceived as Trolling, and thus could be subject to disciplinary action if moderation decides that is the case.


Make of that what you will.



No. It’s just a fact you type a novel worth of text in response to almost the most mundane of posts 🤔 Absurdly long and laborious amounts of letters! Yep, it’s MY opinion, and no question that of myriad others. It’s your choice of course, but most here I’ll assume just tune your posts out because of it. Frankly, I’d bet a large amount of Gold most don’t care anywhere near the degree your efforts hope 👍🏻


Quoted again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ricketts
If a member makes a lengthy post and you don’t like it, don’t read it....and don’t complain about it in the thread.


Is this unclear? I post the statement, and you respond by doing exactly what the statement said not to do...?

Is this Bizarro world...?

And what do you imagine I "hope"? I'm pretty sure virtually no one but the people I'm responding to care, and even then it's iffy, but what skin off your nose is that...? You have a sharp, bitter, caustic manner of posting that's unnecessarily confrontational, but I don't complain about that. You're very easily offended, but I don't complain about that. So why do you think it's appropriate to complain about my posting...?

Oh, right...you're not "complaining"...you're just "stating what you believe is true." Right. Because those are two totally different, diametrically opposed thoughts. Right.

And "tedsaid" - you can't just make things up, and pretend that they're "fact." We call that "lying" where I'm from. Now, don't misunderstand: I'm not calling YOU a liar...that would be a personal comment about you. I'm only commenting on what you're doing, not who you are. There's a substantial difference, and you've made several mistakes...or "mistakes"...in that regard.

It's intellectually dishonest to misrepresent and misstate what others have said, and then use that as the premise for your diatribe.

Now, again, I didn't say YOU were intellectually dishonest...I said your ACTIONS were. I'm certainly willing to chalk it up to a momentary lapse in judgment on your part, rather than a pattern of bad behavior.

It's clear you didn't read the thread...or you wouldn't misattribute a comment to ME from Nuffsaid111 as being directed at YOU from ME.

Details matter, "tedsaid." If you can't get the details right, you really aren't in a position to be judging others. Paying attention is critical if one is going to make credible, valid accusations about others.

When one cannot argue the merits...one invariably argues the person. It's like clockwork.
Post 144 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Move on, people. Enough with the personal commentary.
Post 145 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
I’m not “complaining” that would again, assume I care🧐 I’m making a statement I believe to be true. You are quite thin skinned, most everyone knows this as well. Hence, the need to vindicate yourself I gather? through over replying with text. I honestly believe you should perhaps write a novel, seriously 🤨 Perhaps a novel about your experience as a message board novelist?

Oh, and your argument HAS no “merit” it’s specious at best. No one was “arguing” with you. You argue with yourself because you have some sophisticated form of an inferiority complex. I’m certain it hails from your youth. You have either a personal chosen aversion to reality, or you are totally ignorant of it. Either one is just a bad 👍🏻
Post 146 IP   flag post
Collector Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
When the comments are about a person, rather than a topic, that's when you've crossed the line.

When one cannot argue the merits...one invariably argues the person.

You mean like when you said I had low morals? Or held me responsible for civilization going into the crapper? Or when you said I had "an uncanny ability to put [you] to sleep?" Things like that?

Or maybe when you said I was intellectually dishonest? Or "very condescending?" Or claimed I was ... what was it now? "Intent on obsessing" about you? Or when you said X51's "true colors are showing?" Or call him "delusional?" Or when you said Nuffsaid111 was childish, and suggested he needs to get more sleep? Or complained that 00slim (and Nuffsaid111, and VillageIdiot, and ... everyone) was being hostile?

Are those comments about a person? Asking for a friend. :-)
Post 147 IP   flag post
214367 147 22
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.
destitute