Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeQuestions

Question: Jungle Action 105008

Collector Negrito68 private msg quote post Address this user
Why is Jungle Action 10 (Black Panther) considered to be rare and/or hold a high price value in certain online price guides?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negrito68
Why is Jungle Action 10 (Black Panther) considered to be rare and/or hold a high price value in certain online price guides?

Marvel Value Stamp? Red Sonja is in there... Other than that, no clue!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
It's his first series run.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Doc_Cop private msg quote post Address this user
And value is based upon the hype of the movie. Nuff said.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector cseale0223 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Cop
And value is based upon the hype of the movie. Nuff said.

This for the win.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Negrito68
What online price guides? What do you consider a high price value? (just absolute price or in comparison to other books) And where do you see people calling this particular issue rare?

All honest questions on my part. I don't subscribe to any online price guides. I do have a print copy of 47th edition of Overstreet (I think it's the most current). Overstreet lists it at $40 for NM.

By comparison to other issues of this run close to this issue, issues 7 & 9 are both also $40, 11-20 are all $25. Issue 8 (noted as origin of Black Panther) is at $80 and issue 6 (solo Black Panther stories begin) is at $150.

I also looked at other comics from Marvel that came out that same month (July 1974). There's a few higher priced ones, but they all seem to have something to justify.
ASM 134 $110 (1st Tarancula, Punisher appearance)
Avengers 125 $80 (Thanos story)
Captain Marvel 33 $150 (Thanos story)
Daredevil 111 $100 (1st Silver Samurii)
Marvel Premiere 16 $85 (2nd Iron Fist)
Thor 225 $110 (Firelord)

Other comics are similar in price: Chamber of Chills 11, Creatures on the Loose 30, Fantastic Four 148, Tomb of Darkness 9, Tomb of Dracula 22, Werewolf by Night 38, Where Monsters Dwell 29.

Are all the ones listed immediately above high as well?

I guess it all comes down to your definition of "high" price value. I personally would not pay that much for that issue, but since I haven't been looking, I don't know how hard it is to find in a high grade.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Easy.

I looked that book up on eBay, didn't think there was any key aspect to it and I was right....a CGC 9.2 has no "key label notes" on the slab.

The cover of the book, with the juxtaposed panther head in the background with the BP standing on a pile of human bodies.... is what makes it a bit higher in price.

$40 for a raw NM- is very reasonable IMO.
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
It is a $230.00 book in graded 9.8. Used to be a $300.00 book though. It has been dropping in 9.8 but rising in 9.6

But I think it is just a cool cover, along with the movie speculation.

Cool covers make me pay more than cool stories, and even some first appearances.
Post 8 IP   flag post

Post 9 IP   flag post
I agree as there is nothing special about the book & was just made aware of the Marvel Value Stamp, as I see no reason for its exaggerated value. Thanks for all the responses
Post 10 IP   flag post
601280 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?