Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Sketch CoversCBCS GradedCBCS Signature ASPComics Modern AgePop Culture

Books out of purgatory...delivering Thursday4961

Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
Another batch of books like like they left on Friday and are heading my way on Thursday... These are mostly books from SDCC, so sigs (witnessed), a sketch cover, and ONE random book to be graded. Can't wait! I'll be sure to post pics when they arrive. And... of course I looked at the grades online when I saw they were available! I was a little disappointed in a few of them, but I only have myself to blame, given the age of the books. They're 100% from and for my personal collection, though, and are over 30 years old, so I can't complain!

For a hint... Movie coming for one, TV inspired by another, there's a sibling in the mix, grey on multiple levels, and.... that's all I'm saying for now. No, not all in one book!

More to come!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
"Movie coming for one," so...Lethal Protector Black, Gold, Silver, or Red?
"TV Inspired by another," ...Runaways? Teen Titans? Gotta admit, you've got me on this one.
"Sibling in the mix," ...too many options.
"Grey on multiple levels," ...Hulk of some variation?

Anyhow, those are my guesstimates. Looking forward to your "out of the box" photos!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabaLament
"Movie coming for one," so...Lethal Protector Black, Gold, Silver, or Red?
"TV Inspired by another," ...Runaways? Teen Titans? Gotta admit, you've got me on this one.
"Sibling in the mix," ...too many options.
"Grey on multiple levels," ...Hulk of some variation?

Anyhow, those are my guesstimates. Looking forward to your "out of the box" photos!

Hey, I'm good at the hints that are barely hints!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Looks like I'm out for delivery today! Hmmmm.... Let's see if FedeX pulls it off!
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Take some pictures when you unbox them!
Post 5 IP   flag post
I have a RING on my door, so I caught FedEx right as they were walking up to push the button (motion caught them). Since it was a signature required and my son was sleeping, I didn't want them to knock!

Packaging was great, as usual! Three boxes inside another box, all bubble-wrapped and all good.

This is a little thing, but it seemed like one of the interior boxes may have been re-used or something, because when I pulled one of the interior boxes out of the bubble wrap, the slabs slid right out. Luckily, it was right above the carpet, so no harm done. I checked, and that one just seemed loose overall. Everything else was tight.

Post 6 IP   flag post
First up is the KRS 2017 SDCC Exclusive Astonishing X-Men #1, Philip Tan cover, witnessed / signed at SDCC, graded 9.8... When this one was announced, at first, I hounded the KRS guys to hold one for me, but I know I was going to be there on Preview Night, so I made sure to buy one that night and got Philip to sign it when he had a spare moment between commissions. I was going to get him to re-mark it, too, but the timing wasn't right.

Post 7 IP   flag post
Second up... IGComicStore's Mike Deodato "Teaser" Image Black and White Variant, limited to 600 copies, graded 9.8. This is incorrectly labeled as "Comic Mint Virgin Exclusive".... I DO NOT know why CBCS changed from what I listed to this... It's wrong. Comic Mint took IGComicStore copies, graded them, and sold them on their site... IGComicStore had the exclusive.

Before I sent this in, I pestered Mike Deodato... "Are you going to be in the US any time soon?" He told me he's mostly just going to LatAm conventions (Brazil and around there). Not fair! Oh well, though... If he hits up a US convention, I'm going to get some things signed, come hell or high water!

Post 8 IP   flag post
I know with a press, these would have done a bit better, but since these Bill Sienkiewicz covers were from my personal collection and over 30 years old, I didn't really mind the grades that were coming. I thought I might fair a little better, but oh well! I'm still happy to have them signed and graded. Last year at SDCC, I picked up the BIG IDW Limited Hardback of his New Mutants work, so I figured it was safe to get some of my books slabbed.

Post 9 IP   flag post
Before going to SDCC, I was scouring my boxes for my Classic X-Men collection - couldn't find it. I was wanting to get my number one signed by Art Adams. Very annoyed I couldn't find it! But, I had Ultimate X set aside already for potential grading, so I figured I'd go ahead and get it signed. It, too, would have fared better with a press, but oh well! Next year, I'll be ready for Art... He's a super nice guy, if no one has taken the time to walk up and chat with him for more than a passing moment. Since he doesn't typically get swamped by other artists, he's approachable. I want to buy some of his posters, too, but I'm lacking on wall space.

Hoping for a remark or sketch cover next year, but that all depends on $$$!

Post 10 IP   flag post
I caught Adam Hughes a little before he was doing an "official" signing... He was there at his booth, just sitting there. I walked up with my wife, talked about some of the books he had sitting there, admiring his books, explaining to him and my wife when I fell in love with his work, etc, and asked if I could get a book signed, pulling this one out. That was that! Just a beautiful cover... no particular reason why this one over another.

Post 11 IP   flag post
If you're not familiar with Peter Nguyen, look him up! He has done some work for DC, and he's AMAZING. I tracked him down at SDCC, because of some "corner box" prints he did as an homage to Uncanny X-Men 175, then ended up having him do this sketch cover of Havok, my favorite X-Man. Turned out great and Peter had a blast doing it. Bonus that it came out 9.8!

Post 12 IP   flag post
I think that's all I'm going to post for now... I do have two other books I can post, but I want to make sure someone isn't going to give me $%#@ for posting (not from this group), ha ha...

So, overall, very happy with grades, the other two I haven't posted were 9.8's, too... There are a few a little off-center...

As for my hints:
1. Movie coming out - New Mutants.
2. TV Inspired - Legion! Also New Mutants...
3. Sibling - Havok Sketch.
4. Grey - Old Man Logan (ties to something not pictured, too).
Post 13 IP   flag post
So, I don't have a huge slab collection... My books set aside (for now) to get slabbed is much bigger, ha ha... That's just an easy pass from recents and books that I was wanting to get signed at SDCC, but ran out of time, or couldn't pin people down (long lines or whatever).

slabbed...

Waiting to be slabbed or signed and slabbed.... or pressed and slabbed.... or sketched and slabbed... you know the drill! These are mostly things I have in trade paperback, bought variant versions, have multiple copies of (or True Believers/equivalent, 2nd print, whatever) or just really feel the need to get slabbed! I hate to not be able to read books...

There's sometimes the question, too, "do I try to get a better copy raw and get THAT graded?" when the books are from your aged collection.

Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Nice books- Congratulations

Especially like the Hughes WW.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy
Nice books- Congratulations

Especially like the Hughes WW.

Thanks! I've had that one set aside for quite a while! Was very happy to get it signed. LOVE his work.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastbard
So, I don't have a huge slab collection... My books set aside (for now) to get slabbed is much bigger, ha ha... That's just an easy pass from recents and books that I was wanting to get signed at SDCC, but ran out of time, or couldn't pin people down (long lines or whatever).

slabbed...

Waiting to be slabbed or signed and slabbed.... or pressed and slabbed.... or sketched and slabbed... you know the drill! These are mostly things I have in trade paperback, bought variant versions, have multiple copies of (or True Believers/equivalent, 2nd print, whatever) or just really feel the need to get slabbed! I hate to not be able to read books...

There's sometimes the question, too, "do I try to get a better copy raw and get THAT graded?" when the books are from your aged collection.

Not bad sir; very nicely done. I'm particularly impressed by the 9.8 Batman: Harley Quinn. I just traded mine for two very nice Carnage sets.

Most of the B:HQ I've seen have been in the 8's; for whatever reason that particular book gets beat to hell in grading for the line along the spine on the top of the book. I kinda think there's a manufacturing issue w/ DC's oversized books, b/c I see the same thing on copies of Arkham Asylum & The Killing Joke, but I could be wrong. Any chance you could pull it out & snap off a photo?
Post 17 IP   flag post
@BabaLament Sure, I'll take some pics... Just give me a few! I was SHOCKED to see someone not too long ago post some CGC pics of a 9.6 that looked a little beat to hell. I was convinced that the grader was asleep at the wheel or something and thought that if that one got a 9.6 at CGC, mine would get that or better at CBCS. I was right!

Pictures coming.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastbard
@BabaLament Sure, I'll take some pics... Just give me a few! I was SHOCKED to see someone not too long ago post some CGC pics of a 9.6 that looked a little beat to hell. I was convinced that the grader was asleep at the wheel or something and thought that if that one got a 9.6 at CGC, mine would get that or better at CBCS. I was right!

Pictures coming.

Ok, here we go... Batman: Harley Quinn... Standard pics and some zooming in. I do see why I got a CBCS 9.8 and I think the grades I've seen on some other high grades at CGC were GENEROUS. I'm posting pics with no comments, then I circled why they graded mine 9.8 below that... See if you agree.

Ok, let's forgive the bottom left corner, which has a tiny bit of a blunt to it... VERY tiny, but I noticed it. That won't really impact the grade (might knock it from a 10.0 to a 9.9, sure... What I notice are two things, which go along with what @BabaLament said in regards to DC's oversized books.

Top...

Middle...

The one on the top is very small, probably a quarter inch and barely noticeable and the one in the middle is a little bigger, but they are starting to break color. With the big pics (don't know how large they show on here for you), they look worse than they actually are.

That's it, though!

Now, you look at the book and say, "did he even read this?" Actually... yes... I read it twice - once when it was released, and once a few years later. I'm just a pro, but reading it at all is what cased the issue!
Post 19 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
I got 6 books that'll be here in a week or so. Was disappointed at a few of them. Expected a few lower 9's and then a few high 9's but got a mix all over the place.
Post 20 IP   flag post
597979 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?