Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Original Art Program OAPCBCS Signature ASPCBCS Signature VSP

Buyer Beware Some Fake OA Going around4946

Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Be careful folks. Big discussion about this up on Facebook.

Apparently someone has been forging Liefeld and other artist's sketches. Been submitting them to PGX and CBCS as ART. They have been passing verification for both companies.

This article deals with the fake PGX ones. Bleeding Cool News

On Facebook there has been discussions about the CBCS fakes more specifically.

Example of Fake CBCS one:

Also this was posted on Facebook CBCS AW/VSP Page:

Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
What exactly is fake?

I get that the sketch could be fake, but is the signature verified but fake as well?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Apparently, Liefeld is saying that he did not sign or sketch these. I'm not the source just putting it out there, research it yourself and don't buy fakes.

Also I see another thread about this so you can ignore this one.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
I found it interesting in the Bleeding Cool article on the subject that Neal Adams said specifically that sketches brought up by the same seller WERE legit while other artists are calling them out as fake. We know that a lot of art is rushed by artists... The Rob example does look very fake. I think it's possible that a can of worms is being opened here.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
@KingNampa you better recharge your battery
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector 1243782365 private msg quote post Address this user
Its possible Neal doesn't know what hes talking about, but its also possible Rob doesn't know what hes talking about.

But some of those PGX verified pieces are VERY questionable. The instagram user saying he had to pay $200 for items CBCS rejected also speaks volumes.
Post 6 IP   flag post
ya its not exactly clear who is right and what is real. I would just avoid purchasing these OA at this time to save yourself some grief.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmylinguini
Its possible Neal doesn't know what hes talking about, but its also possible Rob doesn't know what hes talking about.

But some of those PGX verified pieces are VERY questionable. The instagram user saying he had to pay $200 for items CBCS rejected also speaks volumes.

Neal seemed pretty sure based on the quote.

Recently, Rob has been in the habit of calling all kinds of people out in a rather PUBLIC MANNER!

Jim Lee says, "that's not me," I believe it... The ToddFather says it, I believe him... Campbell, sure... Rob goes on a crusade and blasts everyone in creation, including hashtagging the world, CC'ing the world, and making sure the world sees him... I just don't know what to think. Are there forgeries of his stuff? Absolutely? Everything? Well... no... Him doing this just trashes reputations of places and makes things that much harder, especially since he makes sure to charge so much more knowing that people are getting things graded, verified, etc...

Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I don't understand the Steve Paulus official CBCS statement concerning this.

In his last sentence, is he saying that these encapsulated forged drawings have true and legitimate signatures?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak

In his last sentence, is he saying that these encapsulated forged drawings have true and legitimate signatures?

Thats how I interpreted/read it.

Idk about the last sentance, but the entire post seems to suggest that.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
šŸ˜† kind of hysterical anyone would want to own Liefeld ā€œoriginal artā€ in the first place šŸ¤” let alone be FORGING such. The irony is instant classic status, given a 6th grade student could illustrate better than Rob!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiot
šŸ˜† kind of hysterical anyone would want to own Liefeld ā€œoriginal artā€ in the first place šŸ¤” let alone be FORGING such. The irony is instant classic status, given a 6th grade student could illustrate better than Rob!

Sooner or later, someone had to say it...

Heā€™s not wrong.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Neal and Rob do hundreds of sketches a year, so their memory failing or being incorrect is totally plausible. Neal actually said one of the "fakes" was legit and then reversed himself, in the article, after conferring wih family members. Lastly, PGX sucks.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiercy
. Neal actually said one of the "fakes" was legit and then reversed himself, in the article, after consoling with family members.

I agree, I'd be sad, too, if someone was selling fakes of my art.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastbard
Quote:

Neal seemed pretty sure based on the quote.

Recently, Rob has been in the habit of calling all kinds of people out in a rather PUBLIC MANNER!

Jim Lee says, "that's not me," I believe it... The ToddFather says it, I believe him... Campbell, sure... Rob goes on a crusade and blasts everyone in creation, including hashtagging the world, CC'ing the world, and making sure the world sees him... I just don't know what to think. Are there forgeries of his stuff? Absolutely? Everything? Well... no... Him doing this just trashes reputations of places and makes things that much harder, especially since he makes sure to charge so much more knowing that people are getting things graded, verified, etc...

Rob Liefeld, behaving in a socially unacceptable manner...?

Despite the fact that people ignored him for two decades after his initial X-Force/Youngblood salad days, and the fact that he simply got older, he STILL hasn't managed to learn how to be a decent human being...? And his re-discovered fame as the "creator" of Deadpool has only fueled his obnoxious behavior...?

What?? No way!
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown

I agree, I'd be sad, too, if someone was selling fakes of my art.

šŸ¤£ ya got me, wrong word.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting. I didn't know anyone wanted his art.
Post 17 IP   flag post
598028 17 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?