Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern Age

Phoenix Resurrection Variants - Who's in?4917

Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
So, I don't know how great Phoenix Resurrection will be overall, but the covers coming look pretty good! I'm annoyed about the cost on some, particularly the high cost "normal" variants (1:1000, 1:2000, for example), but it's the name of the game...

Am I missing any you may have seen?

Normal Cover (Lenticular) / Leinil Francis Yu:

Variant Cover / In-Hyuk Lee:

Variant Cover / Skottie Young:

Variant Cover / Art Adams 1:50:

Variant Cover / John Byrne Remastered 1:1000:

Variant Cover / John Byrne Remastered 1:2000:

Variant Cover / In-Hyuk Lee:

Variant Cover / Stanley Lau AKA Artgerm:

Variant Cover / Stanley Lau AKA Artgerm 1:100:

KRS Comics Variant Cover / Gabriele Del'Otto:

KRS Comics Variant Cover - Virgin / Gabriele Del'Otto:

Unknown Comics Variants - Terry Dodson - There are three options, a Green with trade dress, red virgin, and green virgin:

J Scott Campbell Variants - Exclusives from his site - there are eight cover options:

comicsketchart.com Variants - Mark Brooks - Four cover options...

Green with Trade Dress:

Green Virgin:

Red Virgin:

White Virgin:

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
Every time I think I can get away from new Marvel books they pull something like this... I'm probably gonna bite on a few of those.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABitEvil
Every time I think I can get away from new Marvel books they pull something like this... I'm probably gonna bite on a few of those.

I know... It's evil of them! I'm sure that's not it, too! I wish there was a virgin option for the Art Adams. I LOVE that cover, but currently, it's just a 1:50. There are several I really like.

I've really disliked the remastered covers (the idea of them), but the Byrne ones I really do want. I will not spend $1500 and up for them, though. I won't spend half that!

So, right now, what's calling me is... Regular (Lenticular), Skottie Young, Art Adams (if I can get a deal), Gabriele Dell'Otto, Terry Dodson, and Mark Brooks. I'm not going to get all of these, nor the complete sets of what I do.

There's also a connecting cover by Victor Hugo... Not my favorite! This is the complete image.

Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user

Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector ComicHaulics private msg quote post Address this user
The Mark Brooks, Del'Otto, and Artgerm are fantastic. May pick those up!
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
I ordered the regular cover on last month's previews, but the book wasn't in my box last week. If its not there this week either, I probably wont lose sleep over it.

as for the variations,,,, nope.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
I ordered the regular cover on last month's previews, but the book wasn't in my box last week. If its not there this week either, I probably wont lose sleep over it.

as for the variations,,,, nope.

It doesn't come out until December.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastbard
It doesn't come out until December

well aint that some shit lol. I should pay more attention to the release dates. Just assumed that it came out in November when it was on my October preview order :/
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
It doesn't come out until December

well aint that some shit lol. I should pay more attention to the release dates. Just assumed that it came out in November when it was on my October preview order :/

October Previews = December Release.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
I actually like the John Byrne cover and the In-Hyuk Lee variant that is right below the Bryne cover in the OP. But I don't really chase variants, so I doubt I'll buy them unless I stumbled upon them at a VERY reasonable price.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Atakmunky7 private msg quote post Address this user
I got the Artgerm virgin. Probably grab a reg copy from lcs to read.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Byrne and originals are my votes. Too many choices!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage_Spawn

Yeah, if it wasn't for the cost of the Byrne covers, I'd get them!!!

KRS Comics:
Byrne Color (1:1000) - $1499
Byrne B/W (1:2000) - $2499

comicxposure.com:
Byrne Color (1:1000) - $999

South Side comics
Byrne Color (1:1000) - $2394 <-- HAHAHAHA

So, from what I see, ComiXposure is the best deal so far, aside from what might be up on eBay.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Holy shit thats an insane price to pay for a modern book 😳

Not just the hahaha price. All of them!
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Holy shit thats an insane price to pay for a modern book 😳

Not just the hahaha price. All of them!

Yeah, that's why it's best to stay away from anything over a 1:100 cover.... Marvel has been doing these crazy remastered covers all of 2017. McFarlane, Bagley, Lee, and now Byrne. Jim Lee had a month of reasonable covers with a couple of crazy rare ones. I understand the premium, because stores have to order 1000 copies to get ONE of these, but over $2000? Come on... We know that we could all do some DAMAGE with $2000 on other books.

My thought, too, is when you hit that high a price to start, the value isn't going to fluctuate much... It might retain (maybe), but the growth will be really slow. We're wanting it because it's an amazing Byrne remastered image, but...
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector KCBatmanFan private msg quote post Address this user
I really like the Art Adams. What's everyone think is a reasonable price for that 1:50? Not looking to flip it, but would prefer to not over pay.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCBatmanFan
I really like the Art Adams. What's everyone think is a reasonable price for that 1:50? Not looking to flip it, but would prefer to not over pay.

One of the hip-shoot methods retailers use is $1 per rarity, but rounded up a bit... So, 1:10 would be $10, 1:25 would be $25, etc... For a 1:50, that would put it at $50, but I think you should be able to pick one up for less.

https://krscomics.com/collections/phoenix-resurrection/products/phoenix-resurrection-return-jean-grey-1-of-5-arthur-adams-1-50-variant - $44.99
https://unknowncomicbooks.com/products/phoenixresurrectionreturnjeangrey-1of5arthuradams1-5012-27-2017 - $49.99
https://amorphousink.com/products/phoenix-resurrection-1-1-50-art-adams-ratio-variant - $49.95
http://www.nycollectorcave.com/Comics/phoenix-resurrection-return-jean-grey-1-of-5-arthur-adams - $49.95
https://goldenapplecomics.com/products/phoenix-resurrection-return-of-jean-grey-1-marvel-2017-nm-arthur-adams-uncanny-x-men-101-homage-1-50-variant - $40.00
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PHOENIX-RESURRECTION-1-OF-5-1-50-ARTHUR-ADAMS-VARIANT-/302543481232 - $39.99 99.3% feedback from seller...
Post 17 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
this is getting out of hand...
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector shiftins6 private msg quote post Address this user
I have 1 word for you. 1990. Remember it. Learn from it.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftins6

Ok, I'm not the only one with that thought, good.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

I was thinking 1991. Close enough. Ugh. Nobody paid 2k for a new book even then lol
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I was thinking 1991. Close enough. Ugh. Nobody paid 2k for a new book even then lol

Yeah, back then, they were just "retailer incentive" or "retailer appreciation" covers... 1:25 or 1:50, but not nearly as publicized since we didn't have the web as it is today (BBS anyone?). This is a whole new level of speculation and CRAZY.

Multiple "normal" variants, exceed variants, 1:5, 1:10, 1:20, 1:whatever, 1:50, 1:100, 1:500, 1:1000, 1:2000... Boutique variants, retailer variants, artist variants, convention variants. Oh man!

I'm glad I'm not a completest.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiercy

+1
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
1:50,1:100,1:150:100,1:500,,1:1000,1:2000....virtually all of these sorts of modern Variants can be bought for about a quarter on the dollar across the board.

1:50 Venom variants from 2012...Supergirl LOSH #21(least I think it is #21lHughes variant...are the only variants I can think of offhand, that have not dropped in price.

Recent examples of modern Variants that sold for big duckets...and have dropped signifigantly:

Venom #1 McFarlane color and B/W variant

Preacher #1
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, if it wasn't for the cost of the Byrne covers, I'd get them!!!

KRS Comics:
Byrne Color (1:1000) - $1499
Byrne B/W (1:2000) - $2499

comicxposure.com:
Byrne Color (1:1000) - $999

South Side comics
Byrne Color (1:1000) - $2394 <-- HAHAHAHA

So, from what I see, ComiXposure is the best deal so far, aside from what might be up on eBay.

Yikes!!! Well there goes my x-mas and computer upgrade budget. Guess I'll try to score 1 original somewhere somehow....😎
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector KCBatmanFan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperAgeKids
Supergirl LOSH #21(least I think it is #21lHughes variant...are the only variants I can think of offhand, that have not dropped in price.

It's #23 - that was one of my first CBCS submissions! I think I paid $20 for it brand new and thought I was dumb, but it's so purty.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:

Yikes!!! Well there goes my x-mas and computer upgrade budget. Guess I'll try to score 1 original somewhere somehow....😎

I saw on a forum someplace that a guy bought the Art Adams X-Men 101 Homage from Art directly in Singapore of all places...
Post 27 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
How come so little variants? I was expecting about 101 to coincide with the original 1st app. I feel that the original rip-offs, ugh, my apologies, I meant "remastered" and "cover swipe" don't count. Greg Land should hop down to the local store and purchase a new copy of Penthouse, surely there are some "inspirational poses" that he can use to make a variant, yeah? Shame on you, Marvel, for not wanting to make more money.
Post 28 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
The artwork on these, just doesn't do anything for me. The two best are the Del Otto and the Mark Brooks. But even they are just kind of cool.

But NONE of these books will ever make it into my collection.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Gabriel85301 private msg quote post Address this user
I want the Art Germ 1:100. :/ I'm gonna have to look.
Post 30 IP   flag post
597994 40 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?