CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Modern AgeMovies TelevisionPop Culture

Star Wars: The Last Jedi - The Thread4874

COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
#ILISM
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector BabaLament private msg quote post Address this user
Its a good movie. I liked the story, and the technical elements were, for lack of a better term, perfect (when your production budget is virtually limitless...).

Honestly, even with the Oscar's well-documented history of hating on science fiction, I think there are a couple of contenders in The Last Jedi. I think Carrie Fisher will get a posthumous nod for Best Supporting Actress (so far it would be a winning performance too), Mark Hamill might get one for Best Supporting Actor (he won't win, but it would be nice to see the nod), and Daisy Ridley for Best Actress (a nod, but not a win; I don't think the Oscars snobbery would allow a win for anything beyond best supporting).
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector dpiercy private msg quote post Address this user
I thought it was awesome, though slow at first. The Rey, Finn, Kylo, Poe & Rose characters are great and should keep the Star Wars flag flying for years to come. Took work off and went by myself today. Taking my wife and a car load of kids to see it tomorrow.

#ILISM @shrewbeer 🤣🤣🤣
Post 28 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
I haven't seen the movie yet but I was at my LCS today and overheard a customer telling one of the employees that this movie was up to par with "The Empire Strikes Back".

Her reply was "no spoilers please", I haven't seen it yet!

Is it that good?
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
The wife and I are planning to see it on our anniversary in a couple weeks.

While I'm not a fan of the prequels, particularly epI, I thought TFA was enjoyable so I'm in for the new one. I am by the way a lifelong fan, my dad actually saved up and bought a VCR in like 84 so he could watch SW whenever he wanted to.

Mom got me that from the video store when Empire came out because it was my favorite.
Post 30 IP   flag post

CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan510
I'll be waiting for the inevitable Ricketts declarartion that not only is this the best Star Wars movie, but the best movie evah!

Hmm...

I just got home after seeing it.
I managed to make it without watching any trailers, teasers, and completely without spoilers. It wasn't easy, that's for sure.

**That said, I'll give my thoughts without spoiling anything.

I'm going to have to see it a half dozen more times to absorb everything that happened, because, man...

It's pretty damn awesome. It's certainly taking the universe into a different direction. That's not a bad thing, as to keep it from getting stale.

I liked Episode VII, but it was at risk of being too much like IV, V, and VI. What I liked about VII was the fresh set of characters. Who are they and what will they do? What I hated about VII was the old characters. They were clumsy, awkward, and had zero of the charm they had in the prior movies. VII was a movie that took no risks and remained in the Star Wars comfort zone.

Enter Episode VIII. Damn. That's basically my review. Damn. They took a risk by pushing the boundaries way outside the comfort zone, and it was awesome. As much as I hated Leia in VII, I loved her in VIII. She made me a fan again. Luke started out a little less charming, but by the end, he sold it.

There were a few things I didn't like in this movie, but I'll discuss those in a week or two after more people have seen it. Some of the questions you had coming out of VII were completely ignored, which is my biggest problem with it. I'll also admit that they crammed so much into this that they missed a lot of character building. Something I also felt was lacking in the prior episode.

All that said, I thought it was epic. I'll have to digest it a few more times before I can rank it in with the other episodes, but it's going to be damn high. At worst in the top 3.

OK, now a very slight spoiler, so stop reading now until after you've seen it. Mark Hamill said that he was not happy with what they did with Luke's character in this film, and I can totally see why. But what they did with him turned out to be so much better than what he wanted it to be. Go back to dusting crops, boy, and let the writers and producers make the film.

Damn...
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Really looking forward to seeing tomorrow night. I am taking my 2 teenage sons and picking up my cousin who is a huge Star Wars fan. I am a big fan of Star Wars too. My cousin and I along with his younger brother watched the original Star Wars in the theater back in 1977 and it blew us away. I hope that I get a similar feeling with the Last Jedi.I actually think that my cousin and I have scene them all together, of course we watched most of them multiple times with other friends and family over the years. I will give my 2 cents after watching it.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector moodswing private msg quote post Address this user
The audience score on rotten tomatoes isn't very good. After seeing it, I am pretty sure I can figure out why.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
The audience score on rotten tomatoes isn't very good. After seeing it, I am pretty sure I can figure out why.

I saw that, too. I don't have a theory, though. What's yours?
Post 34 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user

Post 35 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Saw the movie. Too long. Too many moment shots of Carrie. It was good but not great.
Post 36 IP   flag post
Upon second viewing, I thought it was possibly the best of the series. My only criticism is Kylo isn’t as good an antagonist as Darth Vader. But that isn’t really fair as Darth is one of the greatest villains in cinematic history.

The 3D is a fun way to see it, too, if anyone is contemplating that.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiercy
Upon second viewing, I thought it was possibly the best of the series. My only criticism is Kylo isn’t as good an antagonist as Dart Vader. But that isn’t really fair as Darth is one of the greatest villains in cinematic history.

The 3D is a fun way to see it, too, if anyone is contemplating that.
I also enjoyed it in 3D. I liked it a lot but will wait a week so not to spoil anything. I was glad to see it in the opening weekend and tried hard not to see or hear anything about it. My dollars were well spent and I was not dissapointed. There were a few things that I could be critical about but overall it was worth seeing.
Post 38 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
As of this writing the movie is sitting at $220M domestic and $450 global box office take. Simply amazing ... but it is Star Wars.

So I got to see the movie in 3D on Saturday night. Great theater with nice leather reclining seats, plenty of room and a good ol' bucket of popcorn (but not that $20 Star Wars commemorative bucket, that was too expensive if you ask me)

First off, I love love love Star Wars but I really do my best to hold the franchise to the same standards that I hold other movies when I review them. It's hard though to keep that Star Wars bias at bay.

That preamble all laid out, what did I think of the movie?

I liked it. But I didn't love it. I liked it. As others have said there is so much to unpack with this movie that it is almost required to see it no less than 2 times. The action scenes were amazing. The scenes really put you in the middle of the battle in a way that no franchise movie really has before. We got some in Rogue One but this really picked up on that cinematography and ran with it. The parallels to ESB are striking but I think that by design as this last set of movies (VII, VIII, IX) was made to follow the original's order. Porgs were funny and the temple attendants that looked like little nuns actually made me laugh. I liked Rose and DJ and Holdo (wish we got more of her actually). LOVED the Praetorian Guard too. I guess DJ is the new Han (No, not really a spoiler there) I LOVED the delicate way they approached Leia EXCEPT the space part (If you saw the movie you know what I'm talking about).

The plot itself (IMO) was overly simple and didn't really push the overall Skywalker Saga story forward by much. I kinda feel like the overall message of the movie was "nothing really matters" With that in mind, I also like that they're pushing the mythology and mysticism of the Je'daii in to new (old) ground although I wish they'd tempered their reliance on a certain aspect of it.

So what do I grade it? CBCS 8.0 ... with a check mark.
Post 39 IP   flag post
@JLS_Comics - very balanced review and criticisms. Agree with the Leia in space comment.
Post 40 IP   flag post
I'll probably wake up constipated. Pre_Coder private msg quote post Address this user
I haven't even seen Episode VIII yet so I guess I'm in for a real treat. I have two SW movies I need to see.
Post 41 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@JLS_Comics - very balanced review and criticisms. Agree with the Leia in space comment.

Thank you! I wish I could get in to spoiler talk here
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
I'm holding for General Hux.

That's Hux with an H.
Post 43 IP   flag post
Just saw it again.
I thought it was even better the second time.
Post 44 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
I feel like I do when I catch my sons misbehaving. I am not mad. I’m just disappointed that they would do something like that.

Not sure if spoilers are allowed here so I won’t give specific reasons.

I thought it had good parts. All the actors did a great job and overall it was visually beautiful. But the story just doesn’t hold up for me. My wife is a Star Wars layman and even she couldn’t help but see all the plot holes and plot threads that ended up going nowhere. Took me a few days to admit it, but I’m there now. Glad you guys found stuff to enjoy in it though, but it’s a pass for me.
Post 45 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Just saw it again.
I thought it was even better the second time.

Good to know that it holds up over time.
Post 46 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Upon second viewing, I thought it was possibly the best of the series.

We could not have seen the same movie...

The few well shot scenes in the last half make up for a lot of mediocre nonsense early on, but I give it a B- at best.
Post 47 IP   flag post
The more I think about the movie after watching it on Sunday, The more that I am feeling disappointed. But the Sc-Fi action and spaceships were fantastic.Without giving much away, I have an aftertaste in my mouth about the way Luke was portrayed.They did not do his character justice in my opinion. Today I give it a 7.5 with some spine year and small creasing. It could really use a press.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Collector zosocane private msg quote post Address this user
Star Wars Episode VIII barely makes the top 10 of Star Wars films. I have no plans on seeing it again.
Post 49 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Didn't like the way they portrayed Luke.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Just saw it. Better than 7 & I liked it a lot. The second half was much better than the first half which took too long to get rolling.

There are scenes I want to see again, but it's not a movie I see myself rewatching too many times. Definitely a nice theatrical experience, though.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:

Not sure we can add spoilers yet so I will hold off on that but I can list a lot of of problems with the movie. I honestly have no idea how some viewers think this movie was as good as Empire.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not sure we can add spoilers yet so I will hold off on that but I can list a lot of of problems with the movie. I honestly have no idea how some viewers think this movie was as good as Empire.
Oh man. Not even close to Empire.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Oh man. Not even close to Empire.

Pretty close, IMO.
Post 54 IP   flag post
If you mean close to spaceballs then yeah I agree.
Post 55 IP   flag post
598003 75 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?