Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Original ArtworkComics Bronze AgeComics Golden AgeComics Silver AgeMovies Television

Movie Comics #1 and eBay4864

Collector BLBcomics private msg quote post Address this user
For those who might wish to give an old dinosaur a chance after being brutalized by CGC for some years with outrageous lies being bandied about, I do large size scans of front, back, and many of my items I also show interior pages (when feasible re zero damage potential) of who the great artists are inside to read and enjoy. The hobby needs to get back to that mentality. If not, abandon all hope ye who enter those portals.....

here is a solid Movie Comics #1 1939 from DC which needs to find a new home as I gear up for Katy's 6th skull opening brain moving surgery. Tests are being conducted to ascertain what the next steps are. My kid is depressed once again.

Am launching 1000 auctions of mainly "bronze" 1970s NM white paper with opening 99 cent starters per item bids. Every day 50 to 100 new ones for the next month will be going up.

http://stores.ebay.com/BLBcomics

I also accept any reasonable offer on most all my 7000+ listings.

97% of all orders shipped same day paid.
Finally have my processing assembly line rebuilt

And not doing any more east west coast pulling me away from quick response to queries. Hauling two tons of vintage paper in van & trailer would take 3-4 days each side of a comicon multiply by 25-30 shows a year I used to set up at. Over a thousand under my belt since June 1967 Houstoncon.

Thank you for maybe contemplating scrolling some pages or categories I have established. I thought we were out of those woods finally.

Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Do you have that huge LCS in Ohio?
Post 2 IP   flag post
I used to have a chain of stores in the SF Bay Area. The Movie Comics #1 is a solid reader copy but inside if you click links up above going in to my actual eBay store there are a few thousand 9.0 9.2 and 9.4 graded comics.

Type in the number grade in to the SEARCH box and see what is in each layer of sharp mainly white paper comics.

I grade nothing above 9.4.
Those with 9.4 NM are ultra sharp
Any thing above that is semi conjecture in all reality.

I have just begun posting auctions yesterday. The auction phase will run a couple months. There are NM white paper comics listing out every day being auctioned with 99 cent starter bids.

I know there will be books in the NM arena those who seek out will be able to make some bucks on.

Have been developing a system for me to accelerate converting Buy It Now to Auction while also making sure editing out the "Active Content" eBay has gotten cranky about of late.

Back in younger halcyon days of daze be me here

Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@Drogio thats your pic right?

I thot abcd was solved though 🤔
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
@BLBcomics terribly sorry to hear about Katy, best wishes to you all.

I will spend some time on your store site today, hopefully a few things will stand out for me!
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
@BLBcomics so sorry to hear.

I'll be looking over the listings when I get more time today. Hopefully I can buy a few things.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Homer private msg quote post Address this user
Sorry to hear of your daughters health conditions.

Your Ebay auctions do not identify combined shipping for USA. If a bidder wins 2, 5, 15 or what ever. Its best to have that information up front in the description.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
@BLBcomics I remember your posts from years ago across the street. I'm so saddened to hear that your daughter's health issues continue.

I will take a look at your listings.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer
Sorry to hear of your daughters health conditions.

Your Ebay auctions do not identify combined shipping for USA. If a bidder wins 2, 5, 15 or what ever. Its best to have that information up front in the description.

Thank you ALL for kind thoughts from those who read thru my missive. The other side of the street is no longer inside my radar. They took their best shots.

Am still "here" as the truth wills out in the end.

It is another ordeal but (hopefully) not the life & death near miss Katy was going thru before 2010-2015. There hasn't been the seemingly thrice weekly mad dash to ER in to ICU which was the norm for a few years there.

We shall see post this next upcoming one. Wanting to remain optimistic much as possible. I sure was scared before same time needing to be the strong dad guy as she was living it then.

Still, she asked me recently why this has been happening to her. I have no words yet to reply. Working on it.

That said, I thought I have combined ship info in the listings. One comic book inside USA charge is $3.88; two is $4.50; Six or more is free shipping inside USA.

Am adding in new scanned items hourly all this week as well. There are over 7000 listings. Am converting some 1500 over in to auction this next month posting what I can get done each day.

By week's end there will be some 500 at least all starting out at 99 cents. A lot of 70s NM type stuff as well as so far random other listings as I get to em.

Am also taking pretty much ALL reasonable offers on the BIN listings.

I am also in switch mode from the Bay's Seller Manager Pro to their Seller Hub on an anchor store. Dealing with rearranged internet furniture as a result. Like learning a new dialect in a way.

Am always open for new ideas for this tired old dog. Where should I be placing such data for easy eyeballing then? Please.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
@BLBcomics sorry to hear about your daughter! Same here -will definitely be looking at your shop.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Bob you should specifically list your shipping cost in paragraph form in your auction description. 1,2,3,4,5 and you mentioned 6 or more is free. Customers need to know the cost before bidding, not after the sales are over. Having that information up front closes any open ended conversations that may occur after the auctions close. You should also specify if you will or will not hold books for any amount of days awaiting further auctions winning. That way you get paid in a timely matter and you can close out invoices.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Thank you Homer and others who have chime in. eBay auctioning is a new experience for me having not auctioned before. I figured eBay allows ten days to pay a seller per their rules & regs of their sandbox to play in.

My postage costs are by "calculated weight"

I had long ago placed a "promo" aspect of Six or more items are "free" postage. I take it to understand that is not readily seen by people viewing?

More home work on my part to make that clearer.

I also assumed buyers would understand a seller would wait if a buyer is bidding on multiple lots spread out over days.

I thank any & all who spend a few moments to make me a better auction seller. Am going to be auctioning off a minimum of 1500 lots over the next month as there is around $50K or so needing to be raised.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Over the course of today thru midnight Central time zone will be moving one at a time modifying listings of upwards of a hundred more Buy It Now (or Best Offer) listings in to Auction mode.

That is my goal every day for at least a month.

Katy is going to need healing bucks - and I have some other outstanding debt obligations for earlier comics purchasers to discharge to some patient souls from when Katy was in & out of ICUs earlier on.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Since your indicating you will be auctioning a large number of books almost daily for several months. I can already in vision a customer buying 5 comics, than saying oh wait one more ends next week. Than they don't win it, than oh wait one more ends next week. Than you go down the road of waiting and holding, 2-3-4 weeks later you still haven't gotten paid. An idea would be, we combine shipping for up to 7 days of auctions, at that time we will send an invoice, additional books will be on a new 7 day invoice.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Yes, that is more than reasonable to make sure i ascertain proper parameter guidelines. Having simply done BIN Or Best Offer since day one I began selling, I can now "see" where some might decide to string out the potential transactions.

Another way I might proceed is on a case by case basis inter-acting communicating with buyers. This I already am doing with BIN buyers.

Editing individual listings is time consuming. Have spent many months re-editing older listings which contain the "active content" eBay now objects to having crept in for what ever reason over the past years.

Having been on eBay almost 20 years now (early 1998) I find 99.9% of buyers to be straight up honest souls more than willing to work things out.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Since your indicating you will be auctioning a large number of books almost daily for several months. I can already in vision a customer buying 5 comics, than saying oh wait one more ends next week. Than they don't win it, than oh wait one more ends next week. Than you go down the road of waiting and holding, 2-3-4 weeks later you still haven't gotten paid. An idea would be, we combine shipping for up to 7 days of auctions, at that time we will send an invoice, additional books will be on a new 7 day invoice.

That is actually the arrangement I have indirectly made with one of my preferred sellers. He lists on an ongoing basis. I bid - and once a week I pay for the previous week. He does not chase me for payment as he knows I will pay.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBcomics

Editing individual listings is time consuming. Have spent many months re-editing older listings which contain the "active content" eBay now objects to having crept in for what ever reason over the past years.

Not sure if it helps for description but note that eBay has a bulk edit function where you can edit more than one listing at a time. You just choose which lots to edit and which parameters. Don’t do more than 50 at a time, as it does stall from time to time.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Just a shout out I find the atmosphere here in CBCS-Land much more congenial. Except for discovering the entity known as "Stu" who attacks anything and everyone being the brave cyber warrior his delusional brain conjures.

Thank you for the advice from some of you. I have 45,000 comics items in my warehouse I have decided today to get at auctioning it all over these coming months. At 65 tis simply time

Over across the street so many brave cyber warriors attack others piling on in a delirium which an outside observer would find sadly comical in there were not real life consequences.

As Katy gears up for this next surgery - not life & death as before but still very serious - she says she can handle most of the scenarios this time around.

I am thankful I am still walking sans crutches and canes most of the time. Am also making an assembly line for processing orders quickly, efficiently, safely, to get em back inside USPS

Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:

That is actually the arrangement I have indirectly made with one of my preferred sellers. He lists on an ongoing basis. I bid - and once a week I pay for the previous week. He does not chase me for payment as he knows I will pay.

What I do with active buyers such as you guys express is simply set that up in advance. Rather than me set rules & regs to play in the sandbox, my preference is to work stuff out like that with each individual to see what works best for the customer.

My only "boss" in this world are those who buy from me. The desire is to make same happy campers best I can.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Quote:

Not sure if it helps for description but note that eBay has a bulk edit function where you can edit more than one listing at a time. You just choose which lots to edit and which parameters. Don’t do more than 50 at a time, as it does stall from time to time.

I know of the bulk edits. In a more perfect world I would be on that page already. eBay has also been after sellers to delete what they call "active content" and HTTP stuff which tends to be done one item at a time. I wish there was a quicker way. Buh-leeve me as any one who sells on eBay knows just how mindlessly time consuming it can become at times.

Simply par for the course being played to date.

Being placed in to eBay at different times over the years building in to a 7000+ inventory, I also am double checking each book listed is in stock, the grade is properly ascertained, the pics are the right (larger) size, the description is spelled correctly and contains the proper words to address each book's nuances, etc.

All stuff which can not be done in "bulk" edit but I hear collector buyers wish for such accuracy.

That said, why is Shazam 28 so much in "Guide" ??
Am posting this one later tonight at 99 cents opener...

I have a few thousand this vintage in this condition type am auctioning off as I also wish to finally complete Comic Book Store Wars which is going to run 800 pages about the myriad origins of what we came to call the Direct Market and the rise of the comic book store phenom centering mainly mid 60 thru mid 90s.

Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

1st modern appearance of Black Adam. Movie speculation.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

1st modern appearance of Black Adam. Movie speculation.

Oh, i fully understand all of the speculative hype inter-connected with ALL the movie appearances of any one from Kirk Allen as Superman, Blackhawk, on up. Comics have been a full time gig for me since high school graduation May 1970.

What I guess I mean is thish 28 is already 350 9.2 in Overstreet which tells me "advisors" have been hyping this for a couple years no at least - on speculation of a danged movie?

Would much rather have a pile of vintage cool comics.

Post 22 IP   flag post
Sorry. I don't buy or read Overstreet anymore. The Overstreet pricing has been a game all along. They used to list modern comics for $5 when they were selling for $100. It's cheaper to buy and flip fast that way.

Listing high on something like this is new to me. I'm assuming some advisors pulled some overstock comics they've had out of storage and want to cash out after jacking the price up and selling a few copies.

Years ago one advisor came across a long box full of one certain silver age comic. He dug through the comic and found something "key" about it. He wrote an article about the book explaining why it was key and significant. Then he proceeded to sell that long box full of comics for top dollar after he'd planted the seed about how important it was.

The Rock has been announced to play Black Adam for several years. Speculators were talking about it as soon as the announcement was made. It's had plenty of time to brew. People had plenty of time to stock up.
Post 23 IP   flag post

I agree X51 that especially in the past decade the market has been manipulated intensely by those simply seeking to cash in on sucker Rubes wandering in to their Carny of Funny Book Delights.

As I sift thru the "market" reports in OPG each year it is semi-easy for me to see those who are writing up as "hot" key issues stuff they simply have a stack of in the back rooms of their joints.

They mail me an Overstreet contributor copy each year since 1996 when I was first invited to present proper comics business history. And kept getting invited back every year since over 20 years in a row now.

I think I did just one "market" report back in the late 90s then thought this is stupid. Those "reports" are beyond meaningless.

One $mart guy went on for a page on some "cat piss" collection which was a big waste of valuable space. But he is a big time color section advertiser.

I spent almost as much time trying to figure out what to leave out of "my" historical research section as I did laying out the pages of what went in to the 72 page 'peak' of my efforts in OPG. That energy too took a hiatus as I dealt with Katy's surgeries 2010 thru 2016.

As I sift thru the 7000+ listings already in my eBay am also sifting thru the boxes in my warehouse moved back late 2012 after three years sorting at hundreds of boxes which has an additional 40,000 yet to be scanned.

I came across some NM Shazam! issues, scanned some, posted like #1 #2 #3 etc with an entire NM run mostly yet to go thru. Noticed this #28 I posted, looked it up, said, "huh?" then scanned it. Now in my eBay store starting 99 cent opener

I was "in on" many many "warehouse" finds dating back to when I began setting up at shows in the late 60s. I know where a LOT of such bones are buried in the funny book asylum cemetery.

One time I bought 1000 comic books all from the same two months in 1950 with just 8 titles represented. Fiction House and M.E. issues just once month off from being Thunda #1. A friend and myself split that deal costing us all of a buck each. One day I will present that list so some of you more savvy guys can avoid those issues over others much more scarce = easier to sell.

A different batch had some 10,000 Thing #16 1954 Charlton non-Ditko "injury to eye motif" as listed in Overstreet for decades. That book SHOULD be less than $50 is NM/M. It is "rare" in low grade.

There were more titles in that load as well

I remember when Marty Arbunich and another guy who co-published legendary photo offset fanzine Voice of Comicdom "newspaper" in the mid to late 60s out of San Francisco in RBCC were offering Detective Comics #59 in NM for $3 each.

Had quantity. I was able to score ten for $20 then.

The prices in Overstreet are skewed as a result.

On a LOT of stuff which is just not scarce rare but simply lumped together in with other similar numbers by not being one of the overly manipulated "key" issues.

Same with the GPA numbers CGC controls are shill manipulated. Any one does think so can go inquire about that bridge which spans NYC and Brooklyn.

Am offering out over the next month, probably more like two, more than a couple thousand high grade white paper 70s comics all starting at 99 cent opening bids.

I sincerely hope the buyers make bucks off my offerings.

Am up over a 100 auctions now.

By tomorrow night hoping it is 200+ and so on. The "key" and that other overworked tired term "hot" comics are represented with the majority simply solid NM issues which can be slabbed up and many a time the cert guys might just give you higher numbers because I take virtually nothing above a 9.4 NM

No hype re "hot" on any of the listings (yet) but please tell a friend. I have to get Katy thru this next rocky surgery patch.

And have other debts to discharge.

And all the other stuff I am accepting all reasonable offers which have yet to be flipped in to auctions. And I also even accept full price -

And am again shipping out 99%+ almost same day paid over two years now. Amazing concept.

And here are a few friends who helped Katy out we went to visit at Planet Comicon Kansas City last April. They and other creator friends donated their energy in to an original art auction my friend Russ Cochran volunteered to host which was held Feb 2016 just a month following her last surgery. And I had had a small stroke in Dec 2015 from stress which slowed me down for a while.

Again, thanks to all for input as I delve in to the auction gig inside eBay. At 65 its time to thin the herd.

Post 24 IP   flag post
@BLBcomics Pls max 100 new autions per day - pls pls
Post 25 IP   flag post
Good luck with this @BLBcomics!
Post 26 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@BLBcomics - Keep the faith, man and enjoy the holiday with your family and friends, the things that are really your treasures.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I also wish to finally complete Comic Book Store Wars which is going to run 800 pages about the myriad origins of what we came to call the Direct Market and the rise of the comic book store phenom centering mainly mid 60 thru mid 90s.

Now this is a a book on comic book history I would love to read. Let me know when it's ready for pre-order.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar
Quote:
I also wish to finally complete Comic Book Store Wars which is going to run 800 pages about the myriad origins of what we came to call the Direct Market and the rise of the comic book store phenom centering mainly mid 60 thru mid 90s.

Now this is a a book on comic book history I would love to read. Let me know when it's ready for pre-order.

Making reasonable bids on the thousands of comics I am divesting will hopefully get me in to a level I can focus on Comic Book Store Wars and finally finish it. After passing some bucks on to Katy for her next surgery, discharging some debts, I wish to stop dealing in comics and finish up what I think will be the ultimate history of what transpired
Post 29 IP   flag post
About a week ago I began the process of converting some 1500 out f 7000+ listings in my eBay store over to auction mode. Katy is having another surgery soon early next year.

All rest of November and all thru December every day am placing new auction listings most of them I grade 9.0 9.2 and some I place 9.4 on.

I maintain a description box where I note defects.
Then again, I tend not to post comics with major defects.
And I also post both covers and some times interior shots.

Pushing towards 200 auctions by tonight midnight
http://stores.ebay.com/BLBcomics/_i.html?rt=nc&LH_Auction=1&_sc=1&_sid=741687&_sop=10&_trksid=p4634.c0.m309

The first auctions begin ending Sunday.

There are also 6800+ listings not (yet) auction mode am accepting all fair offers on.

Plus an additional 45,000 in the warehouse yet to be scanned.
Post 30 IP   flag post
598061 38 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?