Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern Age

Any teachers or parents here?4842

Collector Gabriel85301 private msg quote post Address this user
I do community volunteer reading to a group of 27 2nd graders every week. I want to introduce these kiddos to some comics, they come from low income homes, some even come to school from the homeless shelter. Trust me, they are smart. Anyhoo, I am planning on buying them each a book outta my pocket, graphic novel/comic book wise.

I was thinking maybe

Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur

If you are a parent or teacher for kids that age, what would you suggest?

Thank you.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Forum Crier OGJackster private msg quote post Address this user
You could also check your local comic book store and see if they have any leftover Free Comic Book Day books they could donate to you. Keep up the good work!
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OGJackster
You could also check your local comic book store and see if they have any leftover Free Comic Book Day books they could donate to you. Keep up the good work!

gratitude!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
Super Sons has been a really fun series. I would let my 8 year old read it.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themaxx35
Super Sons has been a really fun series. I would let my 8 year old read it.

I really thought of that, do you think young girls would be in to it?

That's a reason I really like introducing Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur when I read to classes, because the boys gravitate towards the Dinosaur, and the girls gravitate towards Lunella. There is a little or some balance.

Thank you for your suggestion, I could even do half and half.
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@Gabriel85301 I'm not too sure how well these books hit that balance but Gotham Academy is really good. It kind of blends the Batman Universe with some Hogwarts-esque fun. The two main characters are girls but the ensemble cast is pretty diverse.

Also, Unbeatable Squirrel Girl is really fun, with a great sense of humor, and a heroine that's as likely to talk to her guest villain and work out an alternate solution than she is to punch them

Post 6 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
I think you're doing an awesome thing by introducing these kids to comics. Give them an outlet for them to explore, and they'll have an alternative means of escaping their hard lives.

My wife teaches English at an alternative "at risk" high school and has started introducing her kids to comics with fantastic results. If they had known about them at a younger age, it may have saved a few more of them.

Keep up the effort. I admire everyone who makes an effort to help children.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I have a friend whose young daughter (9?) enjoys the teen titans go comic, I believe.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector shiftins6 private msg quote post Address this user
Something humorous like this perhaps?

Post 9 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I also suggest Super Dinosaur and Superior
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I would go with the funny animal comics, like Bugs Bunny and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Archie series), Chip n Dale, etc. And maybe something like Speed Racer and Johnny Quest for something a little different.

If you are going to be buying 27 comics out of your pocket each week. In a year, that is a ton of money at cover price.

Are you thinking 27 copes of the same book, or different books, for one week or to last over many weeks?

Personally, I would go with buying 27 different books once. Collect them at the end of each session, and give out the same books to different kids the following week. I would avoid the superhero type books, as they are all about conflict and angst.

You could do this for 27 weeks and only have to outlay the cost once. And the kids will talk to each other about the stories and characters, and Becky will get excited about reading the book Tommy told her about from the previous week.

Heck, I can send you 27 of the kind I mentioned above, for free.

They would be 9.6's or better though, and be immediately ruined. But that is what they were produced for in the first place. To be used and abused by kids.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
I second conditionfreaks suggestion. There are still some old disney, looneytunes, woody woodpecker, roadrunner, etc comics out there for great prices and in excellent condition. If you have a large used bookstore near by you could pick up dozens of great comics for very low prices. Happy hunting and thanks for what you do.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I used to read Garfield books in school too
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
I have 2 girls, 7 and 9, and I give them my old Disney and Looney tunes (Walt Disney Comics and stories, Bugs Bunny, etc.) - these are lower grade 50's through 70's comics, Dell, Gold Key and Whitman. They can be found cheap (less than over price for today's comics, and if you buy in bulk even cheaper), they are age appropriate, and they enjoy them.

If you want more modern books, they always enjoy Archies (not the new darker/teenage stuff) and the modern cartoon books.
Post 14 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
How about Scooby-Doo team-up?

Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector cseale0223 private msg quote post Address this user
I teach special ed. At my shop they have a wall of comics for kids. Stuff like teen titans go and Disney.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I have 10 and 12 yr old sons. They like Batman and a bunch of superheroes but
they also like Disney, Looney Tunes, Bugs Bunny, Scooby Doo types of books.
My little guy loves Action Lab: Dog of Wonder but it seems to be delayed.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
I would go with the funny animal comics, like Bugs Bunny and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Archie series), Chip n Dale, etc. And maybe something like Speed Racer and Johnny Quest for something a little different.

If you are going to be buying 27 comics out of your pocket each week. In a year, that is a ton of money at cover price.

Are you thinking 27 copes of the same book, or different books, for one week or to last over many weeks?

Personally, I would go with buying 27 different books once. Collect them at the end of each session, and give out the same books to different kids the following week. I would avoid the superhero type books, as they are all about conflict and angst.

You could do this for 27 weeks and only have to outlay the cost once. And the kids will talk to each other about the stories and characters, and Becky will get excited about reading the book Tommy told her about from the previous week.

Heck, I can send you 27 of the kind I mentioned above, for free.

They would be 9.6's or better though, and be immediately ruined. But that is what they were produced for in the first place. To be used and abused by kids.

I'm not really worried about condition, I just want them to start reading something for fun so they can start picking up new words, something to have as their own as well, even maybe start getting them motivated on artistic skills as well? When I said 27 books, I mean 27 graphic novels next year as a gift. I was planning on giving them The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein, but I think the true message of that book would over their heads, I fully didn't understand it being about greed till I was in high school, and even when I was 25 I tear'd up once because of it.

I'm not a non-profit 501c3, just a community member trying to make better use of my time, if not I'd hit up some businesses to donate some books. So yeah, sometime next year after my tax return I'm planning on it. I just try and tackle 1 different personal service project a month, it helps me from getting my head so big sometimes. In the mean time, I'm just going to go hunting it seems for regular comics like you all suggested.
Post 18 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@Gabriel85301 - I teach science at a high school. The majority of the kids haven’t read any type of book in years. Maybe if you get to them at an early age, you can make a difference. I can tell you that the few that do read, enjoy it and are at the top of their classes.

I am sure I can round up 27 Harvey, Dell, Gold Key, etc. from the 1960’s and 1970’s that I enjoyed and read as a kid and are in no condition for collecting purposes. PM me an address and I will send you a package. Those comics were meant to be enjoyed by kids, but they have sat in a box for way too long. Plus, the kids might get a kick out of reading a comic that’s older than their parents and grandparents.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector DarthKribs private msg quote post Address this user
@Gabriel85301 I teach world history at a high school. I can say that kids who do read are at the top end of my classes. I have my own two boys read anything they want ( even if it is comic books) right now they are big into Magic the Gathering. I take them to play every Wednesday and Sunday because they have to read the cards to know how to use them. They are both at the moment have top grades in reading and creative writing. I gained my love of reading by reading GI-Joe comic books. Keep doing what you are doing. It will make a huge difference for them through out their time is school!
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
I'd be more inclined to agree with the kids section recommended by @cseale0223 . The older books, gold key, etc, might not resonate quite as well. If you look at the more modern kids books, they're going to be a little closer to what they may see on TV today, especially if they have the same titles. Another option, too, is to toss in some comic strip books as a gateway - newer printings of Garfield and Calvin and Hobbes. Even if some of them don't "get" everything, the art is fun. To match the style they see on tv, you need brighter colors and looser, exaggerated art styles.

Go Titans Go! / Teen Titans Go!
Amelia Rules
Looney Tunes
Scooby Doo Where are You
Scooby Doo Team Up
DC Superhero Girls
Archie
Zita the Spacegirl
TMNT (Archie)
Post 21 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
I have four kids 11, 9, 8, & 7. Tried and tried again to get them to read comics, and only ONE (the boy)actually likes them. He took to Superman and Green lantern.

I read the looney tunes comic subscription that I bought. Nobody else does.

The pile of calvin and hobbes books are on my desk. Nobody else wanted to read them.
Post 22 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
I hear that Miraculous is pretty popular with the kids

Post 23 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Comic books are a fantastic way to improve the reading skills of kids.

But if it ain't a video game, it is like pulling teeth to get them to do it.

It is a different world my brothers. A different world from my world. If there isn't a reset button on it, kids ain't interested.

Think about what shrewbeer wrote. In essence he stated that 3 out of 4 are not interested. And remember, the father of those four is!

Only one of my three boys (all over 35 now) likes comic books for reading. Of course all three like what some of my comic books are valued at. Just like their mother.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
Tip for those who want their kids to get into comic books: let them.read them at bedtime. Even for a few minutes. No video games, no phone or tablet. A treat they can read whatever (comic) they want before lights out.

No competition from other media, may get them into reading other literature, and a good way to have calm/quiet time at night.
Post 25 IP   flag post
I want to thank everyone for the suggestions. I really appreciate it. My local comic shop does have a children's section that I do frequent it often, I just wanted to hear suggestions from people out in the community so I am not bias.

I am planning on buying them a graphic novel when I receive my tax return. I just wanted to get some suggestions of some of stuff I could get them.

In any case, I just want to thank those who have personally messaged me about donating some old children's comics. I immensely appreciate it. If anyone out there also wants to do the same, THANK YOU, feel free to send me a message for my shipping address.

If any of you OWN comic book shops and have children's $1 bins for regular childrens's comics and can round me up a pack of 30 children's (I would need a balance of stuff appealing to boys and girls) comics, I could purchase, I'd also appreciate them.

THANK YOU.
Post 26 IP   flag post
I wanted to Thank everyone for their suggestions. Appreciate it.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
Oh! I checked out the new Star Wars Adventures comics from IDW over the last week.... Really good for kids. Each issue is self-contained and has a two to three stories in them. Great for all ages. The nice thing, too, is they have familiar and less familiar characters in there, so there's an easy hook in every one.
Post 28 IP   flag post
I just wanted to thank "esaravo" for his donation.
I will take those books to those kids this week.

I am not making any profit
I am not a 501c3 (wish I was, then I'd hit up every LCS and company for deals for these kids. )
Just some dude from the community trying to make a difference in kids lives.
I appreciate those who surround me who as helping me out, if I'm allowed I'm going to take some pictures of those kids with their comics.

ESaravo, I'll be paying you for your shipping later this week. Thank You
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur is awesome. Disney, Princess themed books, My Little Pony, and old style Archies all remain popular in my neck of the woods. An older DC book Amethyst is quite good too but that might be a bit more for slightly older kids (if they read).
Post 30 IP   flag post
597876 30 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?