Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Modern AgeMovies TelevisionPop Culture

Axel Alonso out at Marvel4835

COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
whoah.

"C.B. Cebulski has been named Editor-in-Chief of Marvel Comics, with Axel Alonso having stepped down from the post to depart Marvel entirely, according to the New York Times."
Post 1 IP   flag post
NYT Article

Marvel Entertainment, the home of Captain America, Spider-Man and the X-Men, among other colorful heroes, is undergoing a change in leadership. The company released a statement Friday announcing the appointment of C. B. Cebulski as editor in chief. Mr. Cebulski is replacing Axel Alonso, who served in that role since 2011 and is leaving Marvel.

“It’s crazy. It’s an honor. I’m blown away by the opportunity,” Mr. Cebulski said in a telephone interview from his home in Shanghai. He said he wants to foster talent at each step of creating a comic. “We always hear about the writers and artists, but people forget the inkers and the colorists and the letters,” he said. “Each of them is an artist in their own right.”

After a stint as a translator and a freelance writer, Mr. Cebulski joined Marvel full time in 2002 as an associate editor. In 2011, he became the vice president of international brand management for the company. In his new role, Mr. Cebulski will be responsible for the editorial and creative side of Marvel’s publishing division. His duties will include recruiting new talent and helping shape the ongoing sagas of the company’s heroes.

It is work similar to what Mr. Cebulski was already doing on a global level, Dan Buckley, the president of Marvel Entertainment, said in a separate telephone interview. Mr. Cebulski negotiated publishing agreements in Japan, China and South Korea that will establish local characters, in their own adventures but in sync with Marvel’s plans.

The Runaways, a group of teenagers who learn their parents are villains, are the subject of a Marvel comic adapted into a series for Hulu that begins Nov. 21. Credit Marvel Entertainment
“It is important for our growth,” Mr. Buckley said. Mr. Cebulski is “not a new guy, but he looks at the world differently than a traditional editor,” he said. And most critically, he added, Mr. Cebulski “knows how to put together creative teams to spark the right mojo.”

One of Mr. Cebulski’s biggest successes at Marvel was publishing Runaways, by the writer Brian K. Vaughan and the artist Adrian Alphona. The critically acclaimed series, about teenagers who find out their parents are villains, is the basis of a Hulu show that will have its premiere Tuesday.

“I remember when the pitch came in from Brian. It blew us away,” Mr. Cebulski said. The success of Runaways continues to delight him. “It was the little book that could — and now it’s the little book that’s turned into a TV show.”

Mr. Buckley was judicious in describing the change in leadership, which the statement described as a mutually agreed upon parting of ways. Mr. Alonso saw “some of our top two or three sales years of all time,” Mr. Buckley said.

As one of the public faces for Marvel, Mr. Alonso sometimes found himself at the forefront of controversies. In April Marvel took a beating on social media after seeming to link poor sales to a lack of enthusiasm for newer characters who were female or had diverse backgrounds. In fact, it was a handful of retailers in a small subset of comic-shop owners who felt that way.

In May 2015, Captain America’s temporary alignment with Hydra, a Nazi-like organization, was received so poorly that Marvel had to release a statement indicating to readers that the good Captain would return. “We want to assure all of our fans that we hear your concerns about aligning Captain America with Hydra and we politely ask you to allow the story to unfold before coming to any conclusion,” it read. Captain America’s heroism was restored this past August.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Finally. Marvel's been making ridiculous editorial and management decisions for the last couple of years; it's nice to see that someone's head has finally rolled.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Marvel still publishes comics? Wow!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Finally. Marvel's been making ridiculous editorial and management decisions for the last couple of years; it's nice to see that someone's head has finally rolled.

Exactly. Between him and Joe Quesada, they've really done their best to scuttle the ship
Post 5 IP   flag post
Here is the Marvel Statement:

Marvel Comics Press Release
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

What do you mean? Alonso's departure was mutual! 😉
Post 7 IP   flag post
Here's a thought. Alonso replacing Berganza at D.C. since he was ousted after all the allegations arose.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector infinityG private msg quote post Address this user
he was editor for vertigo when i was an intern for DC way back in 1999. He was cool but kind of a douche. Karen Berger was nice.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
I didn't even know that Alonso WAS editor-in-chief at Marvel.

Not sure if that says more about me or Marvel.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
Alonzo was an asshat!!!! Good bye, tool bag!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
Quote:

What do you mean? Alonso's departure was mutual! 😉

Bears...

..you know the rest.

Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Marvel still publishes comics? Wow!

Most importantly, they still sell them? lol
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector JustABitEvil private msg quote post Address this user
I wonder if this means I can go back to enjoying new X-Men comics...
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABitEvil
I wonder if this means I can go back to enjoying new X-Men comics...

Of course not.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinityG
he was editor for vertigo when i was an intern for DC way back in 1999. He was cool but kind of a douche. Karen Berger was nice.
I was SHOCKED when Karen departed DC/Vertigo. Glad she's working at Dark Horse with her own imprint now. She's awesome.
Post 16 IP   flag post
597890 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?