Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies TelevisionPop Culture

Red Sonja Movie In Development4786

Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
And I never got around to upgrading my (6.0?) copy of Conan #24. Hopefully I can grab one before the hype makes it unreasonably pricey.

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/blog/red-sonja-is-headed-to-the-silver-screen/?scid=SNETH00000&utm_source=bronto&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Image+-+Red+Sonja&utm_content=Image+-+Red+Sonja&utm_campaign=blognews_111117
Post 1 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
As a big Conan fan I have worked on building a nice Run of Conan the Barbarian Books.

While I have #1, and as a completest would like to have Issues #2-#25, but I just never was a Fan of Barry W. Smith Art, which I don't feel is worth the premium prices on many of the earlier issues, which is why I never did obtain the Red Sonja Issue as well. BWS Art is IMHO over rated. Just Look at Conan on the cover of Issue #24, Total lack of Muscle tone and facial features. Does he even have a nose?

The title and character for me was defined by the Outstanding Art of John Buscema, Gil Kane and Ernie Chan, of which BWS Conan Issues are not even remotely in the same league as.

This is CONAN

Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector DavidM private msg quote post Address this user
I am also a big Conan fan and I have an almost complete run of Conan the Barbarian and Savage Sword. I agree that the John Buscema art is more representative of how I envision Conan from R.E. Howard's book. I like BWS art and picture Conan as a 16 year old with his rendition, but I don't think his rendition is very close to how to books portray him. Vallejo and Frazzeta both draw a great Conan. They also draw some of Howard's other characters beautifully.

I hope the Red Sonja is made well but I'm prepared to be disappointed again. I don't feel any of the movies (Conan, Red Sonja) have been good. Visually they might be appealing but the stories and acting were not.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRedOne1944 Except for Conan 1 and 23-24, mid grade copies of the Smith issues of Conan sell for significantly less than OPG prices and are IMHO quite reasonable. Also IMHO, Barry Smith's art is gorgeous - and if there is problem with the BWS issues of Conan it's that his Conan was to pretty.

Robert E. Howard described a battle scarred, intimidating hulk of a man. I too prefer John Buscema's rendering of Conan over Smith's. But it is as DavidM mentions --- Frazetta and Vallejo actually draw (paint) what Howard describes.

John Buscema is of course well regarded by comic fans. But Buscema was also a house artist for Marvel -expected to be able to jump in and do a lot of pages quickly as needed. If you want to see some of Buscema's best work, look at the first 20 issues or so of Savage Sword of Conan. When he had the time and/or the interest, Big John could do incredible work.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector FUEGOMUSIC private msg quote post Address this user
To late

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
And I never got around to upgrading my (6.0?) copy of Conan #24. Hopefully I can grab one before the hype makes it unreasonably pricey.

https://www.sideshowtoy.com/blog/red-sonja-is-headed-to-the-silver-screen/?scid=SNETH00000&utm_source=bronto&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Image+-+Red+Sonja&utm_content=Image+-+Red+Sonja&utm_campaign=blognews_111117
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Johnnylray private msg quote post Address this user
Fellow Conan fan here, too. A bit biased as I own many pencil original prelims of the Late Earl Norem..Don't forget his Conan work, too. https://www.comics.org/series/2187/covers/
Post 6 IP   flag post
one of my favorite Earl Norem Sonjas...

https://www.comics.org/issue/31559/cover/4/
Post 7 IP   flag post
and my only Thorne masterpiece :

Post 8 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
they better cast alexandra breckinridge or madison davenport or else
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector doog private msg quote post Address this user
Also heard based on the Thor movie pick up Valkyrie. Some discussion whether that first appearance is Avengers 83 or Defenders 4. Picked up a 9.2 Conan 24 and a high grade 83 last weekend, chasing movie heroes is better than villains imo. Rumors about Hulk 142 getting hot as well with the hot Asgardian. (Is there a not hot female asgardian)?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I'd like to see them give Wendy Pini a cameo in the movie. For those that don't know, Wendy Pini (Elfquest) is the original Queen of Cosplay!! Here is a great article talking about her as Red Sonja.

Wendy Pini/Red Sonja
Post 11 IP   flag post
Going off of memory, something like 5-10 years ago, when there was talk of another Red Sonja movie, Rose McGowan was supposedly the front-runner for the part. However, I'm sure that's no longer the case. It'll be interesting to see who they cast.

The only thing that hat worries me is, I've never heard of the Production companies mentioned in the Sideshow article.

Given that Red is no longer a Marvel property, I hope their able to put enough money behind it to make a quality movie.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Going off of memory, something like 5-10 years ago, when there was talk of another Red Sonja movie, Rose McGowan was supposedly the front-runner for the part.

You are correct. That was when, uh, Robert Rodriguez left his wife and was dating Rose McGowan on the set of Planet Terror and Death Proof. Funny story, Robert actually gave Rose McGowan the role for Grindhouse movies to spite Harvey Weinstein for his advances to Rose on the set of Scream - and all the other sexual allegation crap that is now out in hollywood!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector FUEGOMUSIC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

The only thing that hat worries me is, I've never heard of the Production companies mentioned in the Sideshow article.

Ohhh noooo fake news ???? 🤣🤣🤣
Post 14 IP   flag post
I'm a #2. BigRedOne1944 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnylray
Fellow Conan fan here, too. A bit biased as I own many pencil original prelims of the Late Earl Norem..Don't forget his Conan work, too. https://www.comics.org/series/2187/covers/

Very Much Agree here Johnny!

I plan on picking up some of his awesome Conan work as well
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
I'd like to see them give Wendy Pini a cameo in the movie. For those that don't know, Wendy Pini (Elfquest) is the original Queen of Cosplay!! Here is a great article talking about her as Red Sonja.

Wendy Pini/Red Sonja

Funny thing? She's featured in a documentary I'm watching on Netflix right now called "She Makes Comics".
Post 16 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
They should get Lou Ferrigno to play Conan. I saw him this weekend, dude still looks like the Hulk.

Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector farseer private msg quote post Address this user
Big Conan fan here too (obviously). Working on completing my Savage Sword and Conan The Barbarian runs. Got this back earlier this year

Also had Joe Jusko sign a bunch of cards for me at Fan Expo in September

Post 18 IP   flag post
Marvel should confuse everyone and get Chris Evans to play Conan
Post 19 IP   flag post
598080 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?