Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Golden AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver AgeQuestions

$5000 To Spend On Comics..?4767

COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Buy silver, (not silver age comics, silver, the metal). It's at $17.12 an ounce and guy on TV says it's headed to $200 an ounce. Sounds like guaranteed windfall profits to me. Only thing is he didn't give time frame, are we talking next year or 2 to 3 hundred years from now???
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector thelastbard private msg quote post Address this user
@Foghorn_Sam It's always a good investment... eventually.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Who wouldn't want to turn $5,000 into $58,411? That's what you'd have if silver goes to $200 buying at today's spot.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
I'd start with a hot key book in the highest grade (9.8 white pages) about to get hotter because of a theatrical release...like iron man 55. Then wait till the movie drives that grade to double its price...then I'd invest that in a sure thing...like a low grade amazing fantasy 15...whichever I get for the best deal. Maybe a high grade TMNT #1 first print. Or a couple comics like ASM 300 and Hulk 181.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
The problem with comics is the that they are just too much fun. I invested in boring old Bitcoin a year ago and now have ten times the investment.
Post 30 IP   flag post

COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
Highest graded Hulk 181 I could find.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
Buy silver, (not silver age comics, silver, the metal). It's at $17.12 an ounce and guy on TV says it's headed to $200 an ounce. Sounds like guaranteed windfall profits to me. Only thing is he didn't give time frame, are we talking next year or 2 to 3 hundred years from now???

It's been hovering in the same price range for over a year. For some reason, Palladium is selling for more than Platinum recently. It was selling for closer to half the price in the past few years. Maybe cold fusion does exist and research labs are stocking up. LOL!
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonnage71
What if you came into a small windfall of cash (say $5000) and could use it to invest in comics. What would you buy? Iā€™m not saying Iā€™m lucky enough to have this apply to me but thought it could make for some interesting discussion here on the board. I know everyone has different tastes etc. but what comics come to mind that would be good candidates for either long or short term investments? Have fun with this!

...and GO!

šŸ˜ƒ

Put it into an IRA that follows the S&P 500 as closely as possible.

Investing in comics is a very bad idea. Investing in ANY collectible is a very, very bad idea, despite what the "speculation sites" tell you.

For every dollar that someone has made "investing" in comics, there are maybe $20 lost. For every "but, look, I spent $5,000 on an AF #15 in 2000, and now it's worth $100,000!" there are plenty of people who spent $5,000 on a restored copy that they didn't know about, or spent $5,000 on ECs, or overgraded books, or dead "keys", or etc etc etc. 20 years ago, no one could have predicted that Batman Adventures #12 would be worth anything, and, in fact, no one did. 20 years ago, "bad girl" books were all the rage, nobody was buying Turtles, or ASM #129s, or Hulk #181s, or New Mutants #98s, or Green Lantern #76s. 20 years ago, the X-Men were hot stuff, and X-Men #94 was $1,000 in the OPG. Assuming you could get a high enough grade copy, you still had to deal with potential color touch, and if the book wasn't high enough grade, you haven't made anything. 20 years ago, no one had ACCESS to "the good stuff", which had been Hoover'd out of the market 10 years before, and wouldn't show up again until well after CGC was in operation.

Doesn't make much sense to invest in something if you don't even have the opportunity to buy it.

And don't even get me started on ultra high grade SLABBED books bought 10 years ago. If you bought those, you've lost, and you will almost certainly never see your money again, unless you happened to buy the mega keys.

And for God's sake, DO NOT buy a high grade Hulk #181. The book could be worth $50,000 in 20 years...or $500.

If, however, you ENJOY comics, and will consider it "sunk money", then buy what you like, and you cannot lose. You absolutely cannot lose in that scenario.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
Who wouldn't want to turn $5,000 into $58,411? That's what you'd have if silver goes to $200 buying at today's spot.

I hope. I have a couple hundred ounces of silver.

Bought too much of it at $25-$35/oz, too.

To be fair, bought a LOT of it at $15/oz, so I'm doing ok.

I don't think silver's going to $200/oz unless there's serious instability in the world.
Post 34 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

oh god not this i bought silver in 2010 when it was around $30
Post 35 IP   flag post
Buy Rhodium! $10,000/oz really happened.

Post 36 IP   flag post
The one thing I've noticed is that X-Men has NOT kept pace with the market, and is very attractive at the moment. I just got an X-Men #12 in what will hopefully be 8.0 for $300 or so.

If Disney/Marvel can get the X-Men back in the fold, it will be madness.

However...that has to be tempered by the fact that for every issue of Iron Man from the same time period (1975-1980), there are perhaps 10 copies of X-Men that exist in high grade. For Batman, that number is probably 25-50.

Everybody saved X-Men.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown

I actually want a Rhodium ring. It'd be a challenge making one, but they exist.
Post 38 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

I am pretty sure the Mandarin has one.

Post 39 IP   flag post
Quote:
The one thing I've noticed is that X-Men has NOT kept pace with the market, and is very attractive at the moment. I just got an X-Men #12 in what will hopefully be 8.0 for $300 or so.

However...that has to be tempered by the fact that for every issue of Iron Man from the same time period (1975-1980), there are perhaps 10 copies of X-Men that exist in high grade. For Batman, that number is probably 25-50.

Everybody saved X-Men.

Yeah, there are cartons of "new old stock" stashed, like we've seen on eBay of New Mutants issues right around when Legion was first being teased. As soon as the show started taking off, those listings disappeared for the most part, and the listings turned into single issue for higher prices. I'm certain it's the same for X-Men...

But, we don't know the process for back at the time for newstand for all markets... For YEARS, one of the regular processes for returning magazines and comics to get credit for returns was to rip off covers and return those to distribution for credit. It saved on shipping and kept distribution from having to sit on the tonnage of what they saw as worthless paper. I don't know when it started, though (year), and which markets it went into... I might be reaching here, but it could explain large amounts of coverless comics out there,
Post 40 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastbard
Quote:

Everybody saved X-Men.

Yeah, there are cartons of "new old stock" stashed, like we've seen on eBay of New Mutants issues right around when Legion was first being teased. As soon as the show started taking off, those listings disappeared for the most part, and the listings turned into single issue for higher prices. I'm certain it's the same for X-Men...

But, we don't know the process for back at the time for newstand for all markets... For YEARS, one of the regular processes for returning magazines and comics to get credit for returns was to rip off covers and return those to distribution for credit. It saved on shipping and kept distribution from having to sit on the tonnage of what they saw as worthless paper. I don't know when it started, though (year), and which markets it went into... I might be reaching here, but it could explain large amounts of coverless comics out there,

"Stripping" as a regular practice ended by the early 70's, for the most part. You got "affidavit returns", in which a vendor would swear, by affidavit, that they destroyed so and so amount of Comic X, issue #Y, and then they'd be responsible for destroying them.

That's how you got the Mile High 2 collection, which was essentially an illegal accumulation of books that were supposed to have been destroyed.

X-Men was the deadest of dead Marvel titles, cancelled TWICE, and "nobody" collected it or had much interest in it before about 1978, when people started noticing the new X-Men....then everyone went mad. X-Men #94 went from being 25 cents to $60 in the span of about three years (1978-1981.)

The Mile High 2 collection had a vast swath of these issues (I have an X-Men #108 from there.)

Suffice it to say, especially in high grade, X-Men from #94-up are probably the most common books in existence from the era (and, legitimately, that was true for the following 20-25 years.)
Post 41 IP   flag post
@DocBrown Stripping was still alive and well through the mid-90's when I was working in book stores and also when I was chatting with newstands around the same time. It may just have been based on regional distributors...
Post 42 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Nothing wrong with stripping.

Post 43 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
They are doing it wrong. You have to take something off to be stripping.

They are just dancing.

Makes me sick.

LOL
Post 44 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
They are doing it wrong. You have to take something off to be stripping.

They are just dancing.

Makes me sick.

LOL

Is this better?

Post 45 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelastbard
@DocBrown Stripping was still alive and well through the mid-90's when I was working in book stores and also when I was chatting with newstands around the same time. It may just have been based on regional distributors...

Alright, we'll have to get more precise. What does "alive and well" mean? For regular books, stripping was (and is) still "a thing", but after the early 70's, most Curtis Circulation (the company that did most of the newsstand distribution starting in 1969 through the 80's...that's what the "CC" and "CCC" symbols mean) returns were affidavit returns, and not "strip" returns...this is why you commonly see stripped books from the 50's an 60's, with the top 1/3rd to the whole front cover torn off...and why you don't see that very often after the 70's.

Again...not that no one did it. I'm sure some did and books have always behaved independently of comics. It just wasn't the norm, which is why you very, very rarely see post-1972-ish books in that condition.
Post 46 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
You could buy a lot of fidget spinners with $5K
Post 47 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
You could buy a lot of fidget spinners with $5K

They cause cancer. Just sayin'
Post 48 IP   flag post
Collector Savage_Spawn private msg quote post Address this user
How about $4,000 towards the "real" Good Morty comic booklet and $1,000 towards the bootleg editions?šŸ˜Ž
Post 49 IP   flag post
Captain Corrector CaptainCanuck private msg quote post Address this user
Even better, the Good Morty original art.
Post 50 IP   flag post
Quote:

Alright, we'll have to get more precise. What does "alive and well" mean? For regular books, stripping was (and is) still "a thing", but after the early 70's, most Curtis Circulation (the company that did most of the newsstand distribution starting in 1969 through the 80's...that's what the "CC" and "CCC" symbols mean) returns were affidavit returns, and not "strip" returns...this is why you commonly see stripped books from the 50's an 60's, with the top 1/3rd to the whole front cover torn off...and why you don't see that very often after the 70's.

Again...not that no one did it. I'm sure some did and books have always behaved independently of comics. It just wasn't the norm, which is why you very, very rarely see post-1972-ish books in that condition.

If we're going to get that specific, in Southern California, Aramark was doing magazine distribution for regional chain stores and newstands, not comic shops. I don't know where all they did in the country, but they were (and still are, I think) a fortune 500 company. They did strip covers as of 1995. I can't say after that point.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

It's been hovering in the same price range for over a year. For some reason, Palladium is selling for more than Platinum recently. It was selling for closer to half the price in the past few years. Maybe cold fusion does exist and research labs are stocking up. LOL!

Palladium is fairly rare and has numerous industrial applications (think catalytic converters, computers and of course cold fusion ) and the limited supply sources result in considerable investment interest. It is very near its all time high again, so that ship has probably already sailed as far as potential returns go; at least for now. Personally, I've never even considered it as an investment vehicle because gold and silver seem to get all the attention. A lot of the world's supply comes from Russia and South Africa, but there is some mining of it here in the United States and Canada.

Post 52 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

I am pretty sure the Mandarin has one.

China has been hoarding rare earth metals. It's probably next to his mood ring.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:

Palladium is fairly rare and has numerous industrial applications (think catalytic converters, computers and of course cold fusion ) and the limited supply sources result in considerable investment interest. It is very near its all time high again, so that ship has probably already sailed as far as potential returns go; at least for now. Personally, I've never even considered it as an investment vehicle because gold and silver seem to get all the attention. A lot of the world's supply comes from Russia and South Africa, but there is some mining of it here in the United States and Canada.

The Gold and Silver markets are manipulated by hoarders. Palladium, not so much. Platinum has always had a critical role as a catalyst. Palladium may also, but I don't think it's uses have been explored as much. A study reported that there is not enough copper in the Earth to industrialize China up to the level that the U.S. is industrialized. There is not enough Platinum on Earth to last 500 years at the rate it is being used. I think the reason you aren't seeing cars run on Hydrogen is that the cost of Platinum will skyrocket as a catalyst if they start mass producing fuel cells. That and storing the hydrogen has some technical issues because metals undergo a process change called Hydrogen Embrittlement. Anything you store Hydrogen in will become brittle over time. Regardless, I think there is a strong case to say that Palladium & Platinum should or could skyrocket due to their unique properties. Scientists are looking for cheaper alternatives. When you hear scientists talking about mining asteroids, the real things they want are water and rare Earth metals. The value of these is evidently perceived to be worth the expense of launching rockets into space. Environmental laws have curbed the mining of rare Earth metals in the US. China on the other hand has been stockpiling them and they have no environmental restrictions.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
Suffice it to say, especially in high grade, X-Men from #94-up are probably the most common books in existence from the era (and, legitimately, that was true for the following 20-25 years.)

Miller Daredevils might've ramped up higher than X-Men for awhile, but that's just a guess.
Post 55 IP   flag post
600694 91 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?