Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Sketch CoversCBCS GradedCBCS Original Art Program OAPComics Modern AgePop Culture

Adam Hughes and the $1000 sketch4753

Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuffsaid111
Going back to his original statement, I think he's just making sure he's telling all his facebook followers that he is going to have to raise his prices based on what he has observed; and please do not complain about that. I view this as informational. It seems as if he received complaints from followers when he raised prices to $1K.

He doesn't have to.

He chooses to.

There's a gulf of difference between the two.

"Have to" is weasel language (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/weasel%20word); the same type of language customer service reps use to placate angry customers: appealing to anonymous authority. "I would love to refund that charge you claim isn't legitimate, but I have to follow policy. I'm sure you understand."

No one is forcing him to raise his prices. He chooses to, because he thinks the people reselling (or trying to resell) his work don't deserve the money he thinks they're getting. He spells it out in his post.

Why should his customers not complain about it...? How will he know there's a problem, if no one says anything...? How will he know the extent of the problem, if people don't complain about it...?
Post 51 IP   flag post
I'm good with splotches. Nuffsaid111 private msg quote post Address this user
I had no idea we had mind readers in this group and know what Adam is thinking. Such a waste of talent in a Grading forum
Post 52 IP   flag post
Collector Logan510 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan510
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
No aspect of this discussion really stirs me emotionally or mentally one way or another. Artists price their work at whatever price they chose. I and other would be fans/customers can buy, pass or offer less.

The Zatanna sketch doesn't much impress me and I'd wouldn't be interested in at at $1K... But then art and what you like is a personal thing .

Romitaman - along with as near as I can tell all of the big comic art dealers prices are all over inflated. I'm no expert on original art, I have dozen or so pieces. But it appears to me that all the dealers and many collectors selling price their stuff very high - with an expectation that a lot of deals will actually be a little bit of cash and a whole lot of trade. It's hard to figure out what comic art is really worth in cash. Which is why almost all of my art I have bought at auction.

I mostly agree with this. I will always side with the artist in these situations. They can charge whatever they want, for whatever reason they want and people will either buy it or they won’t and the artist can / will adjust accordingly.

He doesn't really care about the fans. He cares about the amount of money he can sell a sketch for... the bottom line. That's quite evident.

For all we know he may derive a good amount of his income that way so I won’t hold it against him.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Quote:
I had no idea we had mind readers in this group and know what Adam is thinking. Such a waste of talent in a Grading forum

It doesn't require mind reading.

Adam (or Mrs. Adam) spells it out:

"When I have to raise our prices to drive out the flippers..."

What are they doing?

Raising prices.

Who benefits from them raising their prices?

They do.

Who do they want making the money, them or "the flippers"?

Them.

Nothing ambiguous about it. Adam (or Mrs. Adam) is plain as day.

They can raise their prices to anything they want...but don't insult the collective intelligence of comicsdom by pretending that it's not about the money.

Of course it is. It's always been about the money.
Post 54 IP   flag post
@DocBrown Kiss me
Post 55 IP   flag post

Can you imagine the conversations some of these creators have with editors...?

"I think I should be paid $10,000 per cover."

"Who do you think you are, Jim Steranko? Get back to work...and don't miss your deadline again!"
Post 56 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
No aspect of this discussion really stirs me emotionally or mentally one way or another. Artists price their work at whatever price they chose. I and other would be fans/customers can buy, pass or offer less.

The Zatanna sketch doesn't much impress me and I'd wouldn't be interested in at at $1K... But then art and what you like is a personal thing .

Romitaman - along with as near as I can tell all of the big comic art dealers prices are all over inflated. I'm no expert on original art, I have dozen or so pieces. But it appears to me that all the dealers and many collectors selling price their stuff very high - with an expectation that a lot of deals will actually be a little bit of cash and a whole lot of trade. It's hard to figure out what comic art is really worth in cash. Which is why almost all of my art I have bought at auction.

I mostly agree with this. I will always side with the artist in these situations. They can charge whatever they want, for whatever reason they want and people will either buy it or they won’t and the artist can / will adjust accordingly.

He doesn't really care about the fans. He cares about the amount of money he can sell a sketch for... the bottom line. That's quite evident.

For all we know he may derive a good amount of his income that way so I won’t hold it against him.

He should be more like Dale Keown. He appreciates his fans and is ALWAYS selling sketches.
Post 57 IP   flag post
Quote:
@DocBrown Kiss me

I would, but my wife wouldn't like me kissing dudes.

Post 58 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown

.... and a sense of humor to boot.... bravo
Post 59 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
What is going on in this thread?
Post 60 IP   flag post
@jrs I think you walked in at the wrong time
Post 61 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

Post 62 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke End quote mode
Post 63 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown
Quote:
@DocBrown Kiss me

Is she ok with you kissing dames?
Post 64 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@DocBrown Kiss me

Post 65 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
What did flipper ever do to make Adam so mad at him?

Not funny at all!

Flipper committed suicide.

Okay. Maybe it was funny. I just wanted you to feel like a jerk for a second.

Flipper did commit suicide.
Post 66 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
@X51 Suicide because Adam made him sad?
Post 67 IP   flag post
598100 67 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?