Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Sketch CoversCBCS GradedCBCS Original Art Program OAPComics Modern AgePop Culture

Adam Hughes and the $1000 sketch4753

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user

http://www.comicartfans.com/ForSaleDetails.asp?ArtID=573898
Post 1 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
What did flipper ever do to make Adam so mad at him?

Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Stu private msg quote post Address this user
Just pick up your pencil and draw your own! That’s a ridiculous price for a sketch. It’s bad enough that some artists are charging $100 and above for a signature these days.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
For $2K I want a detailed full color, wrap-around spread
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke

This guy (at the link) ruins it for us.

You can tell he's not really a fan or he would've at least spelled "Zatanna" correctly.
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
There's a BIG difference in asking price versus sold value. Why do people not understand that... especially professional artists
Post 7 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
And it's not even a sketch of The Walking Dead or Rick & Morty. Pft.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I never really cared for Adam or his husband, really. Always the same sideways profile sketch with a nose profile shot. Lame.

Once we buy something from a creator, it makes no difference to them if we sell it in 10 years, 1 year, 6 months, or 1 week. It's our property now. We bought it. Contract is resolved once you hit the door.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
There's a BIG difference in asking price versus sold value. Why do people not understand that... especially professional artists

This! Not only do we not know what the seller paid for the sketch (he could have paid $1,200 - $2,500 if he is not the person that had Hughes draw the sketch) but what the sketch will ultimately sell for.

The seller is taking the risk and may ultimately lose money when the book is sold while Adam is free to spend the $1,000 that he was given for the sketch in good faith.

Let's say that the person who hired Adam does make $2,000. What has Adam really lost? Unless Adam has an MBA, a degree in marketing, or 20 years of sales experience what makes him think he would be so good at selling his works for higher prices instead of doing what he does best (produce fine works of art)?

Comic books stores and producers make money off of his work every day but God forbid that some regular Joe tries to make a few bucks on eBay.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Scorpion private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:

This! Not only do we not know what the seller paid for the sketch (he could have paid $1,200 - $2,500 if he is not the person that had Hughes draw the sketch) but what the sketch will ultimately sell for.

The seller is taking the risk and may ultimately lose money when the book is sold while Adam is free to spend the $1,000 that he was given for the sketch in good faith.

Let's say that the person who hired Adam does make $2,000. What has Adam really lost? Unless Adam has an MBA, a degree in marketing, or 20 years of sales experience what makes him think he would be so good at selling his works for higher prices instead of doing what he does best (produce fine works of art)?

Comic books stores and producers make money off of his work every day but God forbid that some regular Joe tries to make a few bucks on eBay.

agreed, have to say the same, one you buy something it your do what you want with it. why does ever one cry when some sell something for more then its worth, no one is point a gun at some one to buy it at that price,
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
What needs to happen is, people have to refuse to pay exorbitant prices for a sketch. Let him sit at his booth with nothing to do.

I'd pay $1,000 for a published piece of original art (probably a cover) but never for a sketch.
Post 12 IP   flag post
"drive out the flippers"

That says it all right there. They are against people turning profit on his art, and think only collectors who are keeping it forever should be buying it.

Either they think their shit doesn't stink, or they are making an attempt to keep the industry bubble from growing. I'm not sure which. It may be both.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector NoahSult private msg quote post Address this user
If you find me at a show and Adam is there come to my table and I will do you a sketch for a small portion of his fee and won’t berate you if you want to resell it! 👍🏼😀
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector FrankCastle129 private msg quote post Address this user
If they really want to drive out the flippers do another similar sketch and list it on the same site for $1000 so nobody would buy the one for $3000 Adam keeps working and the flipper doesn't make money. But in reality how many people are willing to buy a sketch for $1000
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector 00slim private msg quote post Address this user
Adam doesn't seem to like that his asking price isn't the absolute ceiling. "I could make this much money"?!

The real people he's punishing are his fans.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector FrankCastle129 private msg quote post Address this user
It's probably Adam listing under a different name, so he can raise his rates and try to make a bad name for flippers.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00slim
Adam doesn't seem to like that his asking price isn't the absolute ceiling. "I could make this much money"?!

The real people he's punishing are his fans.

He may not realize it but he is also punishing himself.

When the "flippers" stop buying his books and they are nowhere to be found on eBay other collectors "the true fans (LOL!)" will forget about him and won't buy his books either.
Post 18 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
The seller is Mike Burkey of RomitaMan original art out of Ohio who has been selling original art for years. I doubt very seriously that he stood in line from an AH! commission. He probably received it as trade in some other deal and is just trying to see what he can get out it. I would hardly call it a flip.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector Lonestar private msg quote post Address this user
Adam Hughes should hope that this commission sketch actually sells for the full amount. This will make more people want to pay his already high fees even more. He should use this as marketing as a reason to get an Adam Hughes sketch.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
It seems that he set his price at a level he thought was reasonable, and now feels that if someone else is able to capitalize on his artwork for multiples of that, he might as well raise the price himself. Misguided? Likely so. But in the end, who cares? Just don't buy it. Kind of like exorbitantly priced signatures.
Post 21 IP   flag post
We have the right to sell our belongings whenever we see fit to. What if there is a family emergency? An unplanned surgery? Car accident? Money to pay for an unexpected debt?

Adam Hughes is a whiner. And why is the term "flipper" so derogatory? Vanilla Ice does it. Richard Rawlings does it. Dennis Collins does it.

And sometimes, it's just called second income stream for a reason. We do have other jobs, too. So what! Nonsense!
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector MarcJ private msg quote post Address this user
No artist is going to prevent flipping. Even if they sell the art themselves directly, there is nothing to stop someone from buying said art and attempting to resell it for a higher price. The only way to prevent flipping is to not do any sketches which in turn will hurt the artist.

With that said, this goes right along with my thoughts on signatures. The creators need to just worry about what they do best and get out of everyone else's business.

If Mr. Hughes wants to charge $1000 for a sketch like the one pictured, go for it. But don't be upset if nobody asks for one and especially don't be upset if someone pays you the $1000 and then turns around and *tries* to sell it for three times that amount. Why in the world would I pay $3000 for that sketch when apparently I could pay Mr. Hughes $1000 and get pretty much the exact sketch except different enough that I would have the only one. Hell, Mr. Hughes should sell that type of sketch for $300 and then nobody would want to pay a markup when they can get their very on version for less.

Which begs the question...why would anyone ever pay a markup for sketches they can get done for much cheaper from an artist that is still alive and doing commissions????

Baffling.....pure baffling..
Post 23 IP   flag post
Why do I go buy something at FYE and sell it for 3 times the cost on ebay? People often don't know you can just go buy it directly at the originating websites.

You can buy J Scott Campbell signed books direct from his website. Most don't know this, so they buy them on ebay because that's all they know to do.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
And why is the term "flipper" so derogatory?

I think the theory behind it is that "flippers" contribute to inflated prices, and in turn a future crash. If that's the case, AH! is more guilty than the flippers for driving up costs

I sell a lot of stuff, but I buy more than I sell. I need that second income stream to help support my comic book addiction
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
And why is the term "flipper" so derogatory?

I think the theory behind it is that "flippers" contribute to inflated prices, and in turn a future crash. If that's the case, AH! is more guilty than the flippers for driving up costs

I sell a lot of stuff, but I buy more than I sell. I need that second income stream to help support my comic book addiction

Same here but without a regular job that income stream is helping me pay my rent as well.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Johnnylray private msg quote post Address this user
theme song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EifnM3pRLdQ
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector Artu private msg quote post Address this user
Why is Mr Hughes not annoyed with the fact the comics stores charged 50x the price value of his work for Thor 700???
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artu
Why is Mr Hughes not annoyed with the fact the comics stores charged 50x the price value of his work for Thor 700???

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector Deadpoolica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:

Preach brother ✊🏻
Post 30 IP   flag post
597970 67 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?